I'm having a heck of a time getting this new clothing I've downloaded
to show up.

I've used the Sims File Maid to copy the .package files over to the
my documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder, and still nothing!

I opened up the folder, and I can see the files are there --
AdultM.WhiteTop.package, powmia2.package, and bears.package.

Any ideas on what to try? They don't show up with in Sims 2 or TS2
Body Shop.

Greg P wrote:
> I'm having a heck of a time getting this new clothing I've downloaded
> to show up.
>
> I've used the Sims File Maid to copy the .package files over to the
> my documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder, and still nothing!
>
> I opened up the folder, and I can see the files are there --
> AdultM.WhiteTop.package, powmia2.package, and bears.package.
>
> Any ideas on what to try? They don't show up with in Sims 2 or TS2
> Body Shop.

Did they require a new mesh? If they did you have to download and
install that, too.

Jeanie

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:30:50 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Greg P wrote:
>> I'm having a heck of a time getting this new clothing I've downloaded
>> to show up.
>>
>> I've used the Sims File Maid to copy the .package files over to the
>> my documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder, and still nothing!
>>
>> I opened up the folder, and I can see the files are there --
>> AdultM.WhiteTop.package, powmia2.package, and bears.package.
>>
>> Any ideas on what to try? They don't show up with in Sims 2 or TS2
>> Body Shop.
>>

>Did they require a new mesh? If they did you have to download and
>install that, too.
>
>Jeanie

Hmm no idea. It didn't _say_ anything about a mesh. I'll hop back on
modthesims2.com and see!

"Greg P" <curly@removethis.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a heck of a time getting this new clothing I've downloaded
> to show up.
>
> I've used the Sims File Maid to copy the .package files over to the
> my documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder, and still nothing!
>
> I opened up the folder, and I can see the files are there --
> AdultM.WhiteTop.package, powmia2.package, and bears.package.
>
> Any ideas on what to try? They don't show up with in Sims 2 or TS2
> Body Shop.

Do you have the meshes? If it is based on a custom mesh, if I understand
it correctly, and you don't have that mesh, the clothing doesn't show up.

um - from those names it looks as though the maker has uploaded the wrong
files.

There are two sets of files for clothes in Bodyshop, working files and
finalised files. If the maker sends out the working files, THEY WILL NEVER
WORK IN YOUR GAME. Only theirs - some 'skinners' never seem to grasp this.

I might be wrong (and I often am) because you can rename skin files to
anything you like but they look like working file names to me.

The difference is this. When you make a skin, a set of working files is
created in your Projects folder. Let's say I'm making a red dress. I call
the project RedFrock. Bodyshop will create a folder in my Projects folder
called RedFrock and there will be a package file in there called:
RedFrock.package.

Once I've finished working on the files to my satisfaction, I import the
dress to my game. When I do this a FINALISED file will be saved in my Saved
Sims folder. This file, unless I change the name, will have the format
(something like):

5ef34hg5_RedFrock.package

And this is the only file relating to the RedFrock project that will work in
other people's games. If I send out the RedFrock.package file from the
Project folder, you will not be able to use it because you don't have all
the other files and information in your Projects folder that I have in mine.
And anyway, a projects folder file is not a working game file. But quite a
number of skinners do this.

Do you see what I mean? Unless the maker actually changes the file name of
the finalised file, you should have a file with an eight-digit code at the
beginning of the filename. Most skinners don't bother to change the name,
although some certainly do but you can usually spot these a mile off because
they'll have the makers moniker at the beginning of the filename. If I
could be bothered to rename the file, I would probably call it:

max_FACasual_RedFrock.package

or something similar. Max is my maker's code which I've used since Sims 1
and FA is Female Adult and, obviously, Casual is the category. Most
skinners who change the names will code them something like this.

I'm still downloading skin files from some sites where the maker has
uploaded the Project folders files and NOT the Saved Sims file - even a year
after the game was released. I usually try to let the maker know there's a
problem (and what the likely solution is) but more often than not I get a
snappy email back saying 'well they work fine in MY game.' Well, of course
they do, they were MADE in their game. Anyway, unless the maker is
receptive to a polite and supportive email (I usually say I DL in the first
place because I LIKED them), you'll have to give them up as a bad job.
Sorry.

Best wishes
maxon

"Greg P" <curly@removethis.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a heck of a time getting this new clothing I've downloaded
> to show up.
>
> I've used the Sims File Maid to copy the .package files over to the
> my documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder, and still nothing!
>
> I opened up the folder, and I can see the files are there --
> AdultM.WhiteTop.package, powmia2.package, and bears.package.
>
> Any ideas on what to try? They don't show up with in Sims 2 or TS2
> Body Shop.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:58:45 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

<snipped>

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are right!

Actually, it occurred to me after I posted the above that someone over at
Mod the Sims 2 might know how to edit the package files to make them usable
in the game using SimPE but you'd need to go there and search the forums.
I'm not sure about the internal structure of the working package file and
how that relates to the structure of the finalised file so I've no idea
whether it could be done or not. Both files obviously contain graphics and
information about which mesh they need to use and how the textures map onto
the mesh and the working file is obviously repacked to make the finalised
file but .... Anyway, I've not heard of anyone doing this but that doesn't
count for much so it might be worth a try if you want to pursue it. I
suppose it depends on how much you want the skins.

Best wishes
maxon