How to log on without selecting a user

A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
get into Windows.

How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
user my PC has each time I start the PC?
6 answers Last reply
More about selecting user

    Start/Run
    Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
    Uncheck "Users must enter..."
    Click OK and follow prompts.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message
    >A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the
    >one
    > and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I
    > used to
    > be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I
    > didn't
    > have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up
    > and
    > running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system
    > would be
    > get into Windows.
    >
    > How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select
    > the one
    > user my PC has each time I start the PC?

    Chico,

    Click Start, Run and type "control userpasswords2", and click Ok. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option, and click Ok. Once you uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name" and click OK/Apply, Administrator account name will be displayed in the text box. Type-in a different user name and password in order to auto-login to that account.

    Take care while entering the password. Typing an incorrect password makes XP to freeze at startup (during authentication) due to incorrect password and then displays the Welcome Screen after few seconds.

    For an alternate method, and to know why the symptom was caused:

    Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You Install the .NET Framework 1.1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message news:er7In0cfEHA.2896@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
    and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
    be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
    have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
    running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
    get into Windows.

    How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
    user my PC has each time I start the PC?

    My computer is locked up now, as you warned. The issue I have is that I
    don't recall ever setting a password so when the question about a entering
    the administrator password came up I didn't enter anything. Then when I
    restarted XP it stalled until the screen saver kicked in. After the screen
    saver kicks in (after about 10 minutes) I can get into XP. I still have to
    select the one and only account that I have set up but now it takes me over
    10 minutes to get to that screen. In other words, the problem is now worse
    than it was before.

    How can I fix this new problem (XP stalls) and the originally issue (having
    to select the one & only user on the PC)?

    Thanks for your help.

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message
    A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
    and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
    be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
    have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
    running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
    get into Windows.

    How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
    user my PC has each time I start the PC?

    This works in all the cases I've seen. Undo the procedure by enabling the option "Users must enter a user name" and close the dialog. Repeat it again and input the user account and password.

    --

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message
    A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
    and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
    be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
    have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
    running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
    get into Windows.

    How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
    user my PC has each time I start the PC?

    Problem is solved. The reason it did not work on the first try is that I
    selected the Administrator profile instead of the profile that I had set up.
    Thank you for your help.

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message
    A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
    and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
    be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
    have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
    running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
    get into Windows.

    How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
    user my PC has each time I start the PC?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I know, and anticipated it. That's why I included the note before:

    "Chico" <none> wrote in message
    A few days ago my XP Home Edition started to require me to select the one
    and only user profile that have set up prior to starting Windows. I used to
    be able to turn my PC on and this would happen automatically (i.e. I didn't
    have to interact with my PC for it to get the point where XP was up and
    running. All I used to have to do was turn the PC on and the system would be
    get into Windows.

    How can I get my PC back to going into Windows without having select the one
    user my PC has each time I start the PC?

Configuration Windows XP