Closed

Dual Monitor Gaming Question - ATI 4870 with 2x ASUS VH226H Monitors

Hello, I currently have an ATI 4870 512MB GDDR5 Video Card with an ASUS VH226H Monitor (21.5" 1080p 2ms). I have a second monitor of the same type on my other computer as well, however due to a small fire in the home (don't worry I am fine) the second computer itself is toast but the monitor is fine.

I am now planning on moving the second monitor to my desk and running them both side by side. It sure would be handy in many ways. This is where my question comes in. Is it possible to run a game in full-screen mode on one monitor, and have the desktop open on the other? I figure it would be very nice to be playing something like EVE Online and as I am mining in-game be watching a movie, or browsing the web on the second monitor.

So assuming this is possible, what settings would I need to use in the ATI Control Pannel to set this up?

Thank You

-S
11 answers Last reply
More about dual monitor gaming question 4870 asus vh226h monitors
  1. nope

though you can fullscreen across both screens
  2. 505090 said:
    nope

though you can fullscreen across both screens

Full screen across both screens really is not an option, its just to wide for that. Can you explain why what I want to do is not possible? I know there is a way to extend the desktop onto a second display. As they are both identical displays, why is it not possible to have a game full screen on one, and not on the other? Kind of like a virtual desktop setup of sorts. Is there some other piece of software I can use? Or some other piece of hardware? Just trying to understand exactly what software or hardware hurdles there are so that I can overcome them.

Thanks,
    -S
  3. I've tried repeatedly with no success, though by all means keep trying if you think you can get it. Would love to hear your results and hopefully success

I "believe" the primary issue is drivers are designed to ensure optimal performance to the game and thus not assign and resources to the secondary display. Further when you enter a full screen environment the app now controls the the card were as in a window the app only controls a section of the screen and windows controls the card.

It has occurred to my a while back that a second video card may solve the issue but i haven't tried. If you try that route be aware that while xp supports multiple video drivers vista does not meaning if you have vista both cards have to be supported by the same driver.
  4. First here is a bit more info on my system as it might help answer any other questions I have.
    OS Dual Boot: Vista Ultimate/XP Pro
    Phenom II 940 BE at 3.4Ghz
    8GB DDR2
    Sapphire ATI 4870 512MB GDDR5
    Both Screens are ASUS VH226H 1080p (yay for true high def) Monitors with HDMI Support

So from what your saying this would be my only option.

Install both monitors connected to the same card. In the ATI Control Panel click Extend Desktop. Then run Game A maximized but in Windowed Mode on Monitor A. Then run something else on Monitor B.

So for an example, say I run Unreal Tournament in windowed mode but maximized on Monitor A, I can also run Firefox, or a video on Monitor B.

Is this correct? As long as its not a Fullscreen game on either monitor (basicaly anything that I cant resize) I will be alright correct?

-S

P.S. If anyone else has a way to make my original idea work do post it please. I really want to run a game in fullscreen on one monitor, and use the other monitor for something else in windows.
  5. i believe that would work, let me know if you try it

the only other option i can think of is dual cards and i'm not sure if that would work
  6. 505090 said:
    i believe that would work, let me know if you try it

the only other option i can think of is dual cards and i'm not sure if that would work

Perhaps, if he had the 4870 as well as a cheaper card, not in Crossfire, he could use the 4870 to run the game and have the other card completely seperately running the second monitor.

I just had an idea. If you go into the Catalyst Control Center, and go to the basic mode, as opposed to the advanced mode, it allows you to set up your display configuration. If I remember correctly, there are 3 options:

1) Combine the two monitors into one big screen (with 3840 x 1080 resolution, in your case)
    2) Show the exact same thing on both monitors
    3) Use the two displays independently.

Option 3 might allow you to do what you're trying to achieve here. If it doesn't, then your only option might be running the game in windowed mode.
  7. angry_ducky said:

Option 3 might allow you to do what you're trying to achieve here. If it doesn't, then your only option might be running the game in windowed mode.

no that is just the extended desktop option

seeing as you are running vista the secondary card would have to supported by the current driver, and again while i can't think of a reason it wouldn't work i have not tested it as of this time.
  8. Stangmar said:
    So for an example, say I run Unreal Tournament in windowed mode but maximized on Monitor A, I can also run Firefox, or a video on Monitor B.

Is this correct? As long as its not a Fullscreen game on either monitor (basicaly anything that I cant resize) I will be alright correct?

-S

If you put the game in windowed mode and set the resolution to 1080p, it should create a window that is the size of the screen, while allowing you to select any windows that you have open on the second monitor.
  9. i have 2 4870 1gb's in my system for the moment and have 3 22" monitors hooked up. i can play games with the extended desktop option and alt tab out of them to do something on one of my other monitors just fine
  10. Is this what you mean? http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-displays/98835-dual-monitors-gaming-desktop.html... here is some discussion about dual monitors and gaming. thou I am not using dual monitors myself anymore. Hope that helped.

Lee
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Asus Dual Monitors Monitors ATI Graphics