Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with the right equipment

Last response: in Overclocking
December 12, 2011 11:25:35 PM

Before I mess with my new PC, I will practice with my old PC first. This is my first time to overclock.

Components:
Mobo: MSIK9N6PGM2-V2
Proc: AMD Athlon II X4 2.8Ghz 2MB Cache, AM3 socket
VGA: 9400 GT
PSU: Generic, included PSU of my Orion Case. 600w. NOT 80+
RAM: 2 pcs Kingston 2GB DDR2 800

Question is, will this suffice for my basic learning of OC? Or should I go buy a better PSU and CPU Cooler? Any recommendations? Hope it doesn't cost much cause I'm just gonna use it for learning experience without, of course, breaking or frying my components.

Thanks a lot in Advance for the Help :) 

More about : equipment

a c 104 À AMD
a c 138 K Overclocking
December 12, 2011 11:40:20 PM

The components are good enough and you don't need to buy anything. Since you have an AMD cpu and they are known for making a lot of heat you could consider getting a good heatsink/fan or a higher cfm fan to put on the heatsink you have.
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:43:19 PM

Thanks for the reply inzone.

Thanks for the assurance. At least now I won't be afraid that I might damage my pc :D 
Ok, i'll try to look for that. thanks thanks! :D 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 17, 2011 1:24:10 AM

I am also pretty new overclocker but i have to say that you really dont want to overclock your cpu with a generic PSU, why?

Generic PSU (as many reviews says and also ppl i have asked) tend to be time bombs. The mayor problem is not if it's going to blow, it's when. When this happen the PSU is not the only which will die, also it will take any other important component like CPU, Mobo or HardDrive.

The 1st I time decided to buy something to do some overclocks was a certified PSU. It is not a big deal (just a CoolerMaster GX450W) but its an huge improvement from my generic psu, also some problmes like random restarts were solved with it.

Advice? Do what I do:

Get an small but certified PSU lets say, 380-450W +80 cerfited psu will be more than enough since your componets dont use too much energy

An aftermarket heatsink and Fancooler. This is the key for overclocking, as in my last post for advice a gently user told me that for overcloking it's important a good cooler! There are really good and cheap aftermarket coolers, for enthusiats like us :) 

For learning you will want to go for the secure way, protecting your PC its the best begning for any overclocker. Later you can add fans to your case, get a better CPU, GPU and Rams... By when that time comes, your PSU will be with you (they can last longer than any other part of the PC if they are certified) and your aftermarket cooler!

Happy overclocking :D 
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2011 11:17:12 AM

i have a msi k9n6pgm2-v board but it does not have any option related to cpu,nb,pci,memory divider,voltage etc except ram timings so if your is just like mine then their is nothing that you can learn with this board
so before buying new hardware, check if that board have these options or not
m
l
December 20, 2011 1:18:07 AM

Best answer selected by gilead8.
m
l
December 20, 2011 3:53:02 AM

horaciopz said:
I am also pretty new overclocker but i have to say that you really dont want to overclock your cpu with a generic PSU, why?

Generic PSU (as many reviews says and also ppl i have asked) tend to be time bombs. The mayor problem is not if it's going to blow, it's when. When this happen the PSU is not the only which will die, also it will take any other important component like CPU, Mobo or HardDrive.

The 1st I time decided to buy something to do some overclocks was a certified PSU. It is not a big deal (just a CoolerMaster GX450W) but its an huge improvement from my generic psu, also some problmes like random restarts were solved with it.

Advice? Do what I do:

Get an small but certified PSU lets say, 380-450W +80 cerfited psu will be more than enough since your componets dont use too much energy

An aftermarket heatsink and Fancooler. This is the key for overclocking, as in my last post for advice a gently user told me that for overcloking it's important a good cooler! There are really good and cheap aftermarket coolers, for enthusiats like us :) 

For learning you will want to go for the secure way, protecting your PC its the best begning for any overclocker. Later you can add fans to your case, get a better CPU, GPU and Rams... By when that time comes, your PSU will be with you (they can last longer than any other part of the PC if they are certified) and your aftermarket cooler!

Happy overclocking :D 

Thank you so much. We'll I guess I'll just leave my old pc at that. I'll have to learn OCing from my new pc, these are the components:

Proc: Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
CPU fan: Cooler Master V8
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws X (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL8
GPU: gtx 550 ti sonic
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
PSU: hec rapter II 80+
Case: CM usp 100 with 1 built-in side fan and 2 masscool fans, front and back.

truegenius said:
i have a msi k9n6pgm2-v board but it does not have any option related to cpu,nb,pci,memory divider,voltage etc except ram timings so if your is just like mine then their is nothing that you can learn with this board
so before buying new hardware, check if that board have these options or not

Thank you for all the help guys :D 
m
l
December 20, 2011 6:45:44 AM

This is the key for overclocking, as in my last post for advice a gently user told me that for overcloking it's important a good cooler!
m
l
!