Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" and then a black screen

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
February 27, 2012 6:37:40 AM

I'm trying to install Windows XP but it's not working. I tried DBAN. It's still displaying the message and continues to a black screen. I did manage to get through the black screen once and it stuck at "Installing Windows". Help?
February 27, 2012 6:50:21 AM

Also, when I tried to boot Ubuntu from a LiveCD, there were no problems at all.
February 27, 2012 7:04:48 AM


Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Try using Ubuntu to look at and then format the hard disk - that may help. I can't remember if Ubuntu has the facility to format in NTFS but if it does, take that option.

Also, if the monitor has its own settings menu, try a default resolution of 800x600 or one size up from that, just in case XP can't start working on the current setting.

Related resources
February 27, 2012 7:25:08 AM

Thanks for replying so fast.

Anyways, how do I format the hard disk in NTFS exactly? As I said, my hard disk is blank and there's not a single thing on it. I'm also using gParted and all I see is unpartitioned space.
February 27, 2012 8:16:02 AM

Saga Lout said:


Try using Ubuntu to look at and then format the hard disk - that may help. I can't remember if Ubuntu has the facility to format in NTFS but if it does, take that option.



Never mind my last post. I figured out how to format my hard disk into NTFS, still no luck. I managed to get to the installation screen earlier, and stuck at the same install message.
November 14, 2012 2:26:29 PM

For those who want to know solution - here is how you can deal with this Setup bug:

1. Change partition's type for the second (big) partition from '0F' ("WIN95: Extended partition, LBA-mapped") to something, not known by setup (for example: '08' - "OS/2 (v1.0-1.3 only)")
2. Boot from setup disk and make format and installation of the WXP on 1st partition
3. After setup is done, change second partition type back to '0F'. You can do it at any time from installed new OS.

This problem is created by bug in WXP setup. It makes a big partition (second, big one), which it can't recognize by itself later, next time you try to boot it. And in this case, it simply hangs (black screen)

It's not a problem with hardware configuration, as some may assume looking at the screen. Thus don't waste your time investigating it and trying to make any changes in hardware configuration. Just break the partition type - make it unrecognizable for WXP Setup and then boot...

I used a windows 7 CD to delete both partitions, then create them again but leave the second partition unrecognizable until youre done installing XP.. But use whatever CD you have available that will allow you to delete the partitions and recreate them like I said above, leaving the second partition in an unallocated state...Works like a charm!!
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...
November 17, 2012 12:50:29 AM

tjdaroya said:
I'm trying to install Windows XP but it's not working. I tried DBAN. It's still displaying the message and continues to a black screen. I did manage to get through the black screen once and it stuck at "Installing Windows". Help?
harry here: ur registry is mixed up with a lot of error's & old left over u need a reg., defrager advance systemcare5 has a good one with a few more option use the tool box u can it all but it want u to buy but there is a free on the site just go there & select it, have it clecn out ur reg., & ur be fine :) 
November 17, 2012 1:02:15 AM

harryblue954 said:
harry here: ur registry is mixed up with a lot of error's & old left over u need a reg., defrager advance systemcare5 has a good one with a few more option use the tool box u can it all but it want u to buy but there is a free on the site just go there & select it, have it clecn out ur reg., & ur be fine :) 


What a load of horse hockey. The OP's problem has absolutely nothing to do with the registry. Quit spamming the forums.

OP, if you haven't already tried then go ahead and use GParted to remove ALL partitions and leave the drive virgin. You can partition and format within the XP installer.
November 23, 2012 4:34:13 PM

tjdaroya said:
I'm trying to install Windows XP but it's not working. I tried DBAN. It's still displaying the message and continues to a black screen. I did manage to get through the black screen once and it stuck at "Installing Windows". Help?
it can't fine the HDD, go into safe mode do a disk clean-up & a defrag, then shut down so it can save settings, then restart, some advice back up all ur drivers, the install will disconnect all devices it doesn't have drivers for unplug ur printer cause u will have to set it back up again with ur printers disc, so have reinstall what ever it disconnects.
November 23, 2012 5:20:19 PM



ex-bubblehead, you might also have noticed that macleonard used to harryblue-254, then just harryblue but has lately also been johnmacrye, howardmac and charlesleanoard. Most of the advice is total rubbish, written in the text-speak language of teenagers by a supposed 71 year old.


November 23, 2012 5:36:12 PM

Saga Lout said:


ex-bubblehead, you might also have noticed that macleonard used to harryblue-254, then just harryblue but has lately also been johnmacrye, howardmac and charlesleanoard. Most of the advice is total rubbish, written in the text-speak language of teenagers by a supposed 71 year old.


Here's the list I have so far:

charlesleonard
danbrown537
harryblue954
howardmac
charlesmacrye
harrywhite
leonardjames
johnmacrye
and now macleonard


At least, for the moment, it seems confined to the XP forum.
!