Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gravity any impact on radiator placement ?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2011 2:06:40 AM

Hello, i'm curious about the effects of gravity upon a water cooling setup where the radiator is on top of the case and the pump+reservoir (Rasa X2O 750 12V Pump/Reservoir) is a dual bay unit below the radiator.
I see many setups done this way and am looking install a Rasa 750 RX240 WaterCooling Kit (swapping barbs for compression fittings) in the same manner.

Would not the water in radiator drain down to the lower reservoir ?
Or does it become a pressurised loop once the filler cap is fitted ?
If it does become pressurised wouldn't it rapidly drain and overflow the reservoir if filler cap is removed ?

Sorry these are nooby questions but i'm trying to do my homework on installing my first water cooling but never heard/seen the subject of gravity raised. I'm assuming it has no impact but i'd rather ask people that KNOW then make a poor assumtion.

Basicly, does radiator placement affect the flow of the loop or is there any risk of 'underfilling or overfilling' the loop as a result of the rad placement.
December 13, 2011 6:19:55 AM

Also, with regards to barb/fitting placement, should the radiator be placed so that the fittings are at the lowest point ? Or is it ok to have the fittings at the top of the radiator ?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 12:20:23 PM

welcome to the forums newcomer!
1| you can place the rad anywhere in your system - top, bottom or vertical in the back/front
2| the res has to be at the apex of your loop only because of helping you bleed your system. Bleeding is a term used to get any air bubbles trapped in your loop - out. if the air is trapped inside you'll hear a slight *swish* sound coming from your rad or even worse the air can cause your pump to vibrate - potentially damaging it or just giving you horrible migrane :p  - but i have seen people place the pump and res at the bottom of the case with the rad up above.
3| depending on the pump, the flow will not be affected. The MCP35X pump is strong - keep you happy for a while but will be a hefty price to shell out on one
4| barbs can be placed in any order - have them above/under your rad - maybe to loop behind your case

examples;
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18311...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1150056/build-log-silverston...
http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2008/lian-li/t...
http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2011/murderbox...

5| you can have a driv bay mounted res/pump/combo but draining and refilling the res will be a lil hastle.
6| might want to look at swiftech's kits with the pump/res/rad in one package - swiftech H2O - Edge HD kit...ftw?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 330 K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 12:36:51 PM

Loop order does not matter.

Gravity essentially has no effect on a completely filled water loop due to the continuous displacement of water.

A pump 'pushes' just as much as it 'pulls'.

Filling a loop is somewhat easier to displace air bubbles when the reservoir is placed above the pump, but with a res/pump combo, this isn't possible. However, a bay/res/pump combo can be easier in some instances, but more difficult in others depending on how much tubing slack you allocate.

December 13, 2011 2:04:45 PM

Thanks for the great replies guys, i'm realy looking forward to installing my first water cooling system so i greatly appreciate your comments.
The case i'm using is a cheap (Thermaltake Dokker) but the front panel is removable so i should have no trouble with filling, and to drain i'll just have to tilt my PC forward 90degrees with a plug+hose screwed into the filler port.

If i may, 1 more question, should i go for the thicker, but shorter RX240 rad or the longer but thinner RS360 (which is cheaper) for a single loop cooling CPU (i7 2600k) only. My guess is the difference would be minimal at best, but again, i'd prefer to defer to the expects. (or possibly fork out an extra $35 for the RX360)
The 240 rad better suits my build space but if i mount it outside the case size isn't an issue.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 2:14:45 PM

Either would be great for that loop. You are going to get around 375-400 watts out of a RX240 and around 500-525 watts for the RS360 or so. Depending on future needs, you may or may not need to consider extra radiator space. Rasa/Raystorm kits are very good for the price as an entry level watercooling package.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 2:49:26 PM

^ +1 to the raystomr/EX kit

the EX360 is also a good performer.
m
l
December 14, 2011 6:23:59 AM

gravity will not cause the water to fall into reservoir.

lets assume water flows out of rad into res. but since its closed system (rad), so for water to flow out, something else has to flow in. the only option is for water to flow in from rest of the loop and eventually the res. so not possible.

max to max, level will rise till your inlet port of res is submerged (in dis case the water in rad is replaced by the air in the res), but will never spill out of the reservoir.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 14, 2011 1:05:17 PM

Yes, this is what I was trying to say- water in a watercooling loop is much like having a string on a pulley; when you move the pulley it pushes the string away, but at the exact same time, it is pulling the string back to the pulley...same principle used on a ski lift.

It does take very powerful motors to operate, but only because of the total mass of the system being moved. The huge uphill energy of the heavy cables and lifts is equalized because that same mass of heavy cables and lifts is also coming back down the mountain at the same time. Gravity does help or hinder since the negative force it causes also creates a positive force in the closed system at the same time.
m
l
December 21, 2011 1:58:43 AM

Best answer selected by Mechanisation.
m
l
!