Gaming PC Upgrade

Gaming PC Upgrade

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Fall-Winter 2009

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming / Web Browsing / Music / Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Read Further Down

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING:
Definitely, OCing CPU to at least 3.6GHZ and OCing Ram as well.
SLI/Crossifre: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently 1680x1050

Operating System: Windows 7

Hello, currently I have the the following thing's that I'm not going to change:

CASE:
NZXT LEXA ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146018&cm_re=NZXT-_-11-146-018-_-Product
- I got this 3 years ago and for cheaper than it is now, just find that kind of funny lol. Also, I have replaced the side fan with a better one.

Hardrive Maybe ? - Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16GB
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154414
- Probably should replace this, about 2 years old I would say.

Monitor:
Dell UltraSharp 22" Widescreen Monitor 1680x1050 Resolution - 3 Years ago cost around $500 lol

Speakers: Logitech Z-2300 - Still very good

Headset:
Steelseries 5HV2

Soundcard: Creative Audigy Soundblaster 2ZS Plat. Edition - I need a new one I think

That's really all I'm looking to keep, my system was top of the line 3 years ago and the parts I'm going to be replacing can still run any game, but I'm looking to get a very good system again.

This is the build I was considering, but I would like to see if anyone can get some combo deals for me from Newegg or find a build that they think is more suitable.

System I Built

PSU:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=Corsair%20750HX
- After reading reviews/awards/etc. this is the one I'm going with

The Reviews:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/775/1
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hx750w/
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/corsair_hx750w_750w_atx_psu/1

CPU:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Motherboard:

EVGA E758-A1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039&cm_re=x58_motherboard-_-13-188-039-_-Product
or
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131403&cm_re=ASUS_X58-_-13-131-403-_-Product

Need some opinions on which is better, worth the price, etc.

RAM:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Hardrive:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=Samsung_500GB_7200_RPM-_-22-152-181-_-Product

Video Card:

Waiting for the ATI Radeon 5870X2 Charts, if it performs really good, then will probably purchase one. If not, going to wait on the Nvidia 300 Series.

CPU Fan/Heatsink:

Prolimatech Megahalems with Scythe S-FLEX™ SFF21F 120MM Fan
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_LGA_775_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3.html

By the time I decide to buy all of these the estimated price is going to be around $1100-$1200. If anyone can give me their insight and what build they would do, I would appreciate it. Also, if the price can stay around the same or even cheaper, that would be awesome.

Again, thanks for the help and looking forward to hearing your opinions.
48 answers Last reply
More about gaming upgrade
  1. With that resolution, and the fact I'm guessing this is a gaming rig...it's way over kill by going with an i7 build. I would consider an i5 build.
  2. Thanks for the opinion.

    But, i7 Performance is better than i5 by a good amount from what I've seen for gaming. I'd rather stick with the i7, quicker load times/etc. i5 is more consumer/mainstream friendly, I'm more towards the gamer side. And maybe in the future I'm going to go into the 2400 Resolution area, or 1950 at the very least.

    Any opinions on the few items I have questions on ?
  3. gtx 295 for 1680x1050 is indeed overkill.

    well if you really want to be gaming, wait for 5xxx series.

    get 3 22 inch monitors. use 5xxx series card. now that beats the 2400 resolution area you mentioned.

    why you choose that RAM for tighter timings? 1600 vs 2000 with timings the performance is around the same, so good choice.
  4. Thanks for the reply.

    Basically, my reasoning for getting a higher end card is because I want this build to last me for quite some time. I'm really thinking about just waiting for the Nvidia 300 or ATI 5000 Series. Plus, the price of this card will drop considerably with the release of those, and replacing my monitor in the future shouldn't be a problem. It may seem like overkill with my current monitor, but thinking about the future it may be a good investment. Otherwise, I may just spend like $200 on the 4890 and save my money, in this case you guys make a very valid point. Looking forward to hearing more replys and comments on my other questions.

    Thanks a lot again !

    Edit: Here are the two 4890 card's I was looking at.

    Sapphire
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102852

    XFX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

    Which do you think is better?
  5. ok...that Cooler Master V8 is a dud compared to other coolers in it's class. This Scythe down below has beaten it on every review. Peeps haven't always been able to get the rated timings out of that OCZ Platinum. It's a hit or miss with that ram. Also the gtx 295 is two down clocked gtx 275's. And before you say anything about that mobo being an AsRock...it's been the surprise of X58 boards this year. Read the reviews down at the bottom of this post in regards to that board. This set up will run cool and also get you a decent o/c without breaking the bank.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006382 $99.99 Free Shipping
    PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD S75CF Power Supply Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163 $169.99
    ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.248853 Combo Discount: -$4.00 Combo Price: $39.98
    Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.250777 Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $399.98 $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Card
    Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $389.98 Free Shipping*
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Retail

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-sli,2298.html <--- dual gtx 275's in SLI > gtx 295

    ASRock X58 Extreme Reviews

    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1923_1.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-x58-motherboard,2368-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-extreme.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3593
  6. yes 2 gtx 275 beats 1 gtx 295, but thats not the point here why_me.
    he wants his system to be future proof. he can add another gtx 295 easily running x16 x16. but if you suggested 2 gtx 275 which uses more power, and his upgrade option adding another 1? need to upgrade power supply. = pointless. just get gtx 295 when price drops (5xxx coming, like he said)

    yes the asrock is a surprise indeed, but it's still not as good as other competitors..asus..for the price it is a good buy, but the OP wants a "very good system again"
  7. Going to answer these one at a time:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2298.html <--- dual gtx 275's in SLI > gtx 295

    Pros: I'm actually liking this idea, my Uncle is going to help me put this together again and has told me he can do SLI. Good idea and the performance is 10% better with 275's. Plus, it saves some money.

    Cons: The trade-off, of course, is higher power consumption, the monopolization of four expansion slots on your SLI-capable motherboard and less-scalable platform

    Conclusion: I will ask my Uncle if he can do this, and do you think there is enough space to fit 2 of the 275's ? I'm still leaning towards the 295 because of future preferences, etc. But, I will consider this choice.
  8. overshocks said:
    yes 2 gtx 275 beats 1 gtx 295, but thats not the point here why_me.
    he wants his system to be future proof. he can add another gtx 295 easily running x16 x16. but if you suggested 2 gtx 275 which uses more power, and his upgrade option adding another 1? need to upgrade power supply. = pointless. just get gtx 295 when price drops (5xxx coming, like he said)

    yes the asrock is a surprise indeed, but it's still not as good as other competitors..asus..for the price it is a good buy, but the OP wants a "very good system again"


    So your saying a decent 750w won't power two gtx 275's and still give you juice left over ? Is that what your saying in your post ?
  9. read again, i said if he adds another 1 he needs to upgrade psu. plus 2 gtx 275 creates more heat, which will affect cpu temp.
  10. Why_me, he is making a valid point, if you read what I have been saying this build is to last me in the future as well. Going with two of these limits my choices in the future, and may make me waste money by having to replace these.

    He did not say anything of what you are accusing him of.
  11. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Going to answer these one at a time:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2298.html <--- dual gtx 275's in SLI > gtx 295

    Pros: I'm actually liking this idea, my Uncle is going to help me put this together again and has told me he can do SLI. Good idea and the performance is 10% better with 275's. Plus, it saves some money.

    Cons: The trade-off, of course, is higher power consumption, the monopolization of four expansion slots on your SLI-capable motherboard.

    Conclusion: I will ask my Uncle if he can do this, and do you think there is enough space to fit 2 of the 275's ? I'm still leaning towards the 295 because of future preferences, etc. But, I will consider this choice.


    That board has plenty of room for two of those cards (gtx 275's). Look at the layout and read the reviews. Also if your concerned about power...then size up to the 850w Corsair. A 750w will run them fine, but an 850w gives you a lot more head room to work with.
  12. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Why_me, he is making a valid point, if you read what I have been saying this build is to last me in the future as well. Going with two of these limits my choices in the future, and may make me waste money by having to replace these.

    He did not say anything of what you are accusing him of.


    I was just showing you that the gtx 295 was a waste of money. One of those cards cost more than two gtx 275's. Personally I would hold off until I saw what Nvidea comes out with in regards to their DX11 cards. That or get one gtx 275...seeing how no games run DX11 now anyways, and then later on ebay it or whatever and get a new DX11 card.
  13. Now, for the Power Supply.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Prod [...] e=10006382 $99.99 Free Shipping
    PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD S75CF Power Supply Retail

    It is a little lower end than what I have posted. I'd only really saved between $30-$60, but if you can show me some reviews between the ones I posted and yours I will gladly look into it.

    As for my question:

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
    OR
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=Corsair%20750HX

    Which do you think is better long-term/worth the price ?

    Edited !
  14. gettin 2 gtx 275 will save you a little now, but will punish you in the future, heat, power, 3 video cards means x16 x16 x8. OP is looking at the long run, so gtx 295 will be better choice in my honest opinion.

    ^OP those links aint working. you didnt link it properly.
  15. Read what I said above. Purchasing one GTX275 would be a waste for me right now. As I said, I am still waiting to see the price on the new cards and how much cheaper the 295 gets. It still benches extremely high, and with a cheaper price is going to be worth it if the newer cards are very expensive.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Basically, my reasoning for getting a higher end card is because I want this build to last me for quite some time. I'm really thinking about just waiting for the Nvidia 300 or ATI 5000 Series. Plus, the price of this card will drop considerably with the release of those, and replacing my monitor in the future shouldn't be a problem. It may seem like overkill with my current monitor, but thinking about the future it may be a good investment. Otherwise, I may just spend like $200 on the 4890 and save my money, in this case you guys make a very valid point. Looking forward to hearing more replys and comments on my other questions.

    Thanks a lot again !

    Edit: Here are the two 4890 card's I was looking at.

    Sapphire
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102852

    XFX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

    Which do you think is better?
  16. overshocks said:
    gettin 2 gtx 275 will save you a little now, but will punish you in the future, heat, power, 3 video cards means x16 x16 x8. OP is looking at the long run, so gtx 295 will be better choice in my honest opinion.

    ^OP those links aint working. you didnt link it properly.


    Links fixed.
  17. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Now, for the Power Supply.

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Prod [...] e=10006382 $99.99 Free Shipping
    PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD S75CF Power Supply Retail

    It is a little lower end than what I have posted. I'd only really saved between $30-$60, but if you can show me some reviews between the ones I posted and yours I will gladly look into it.

    As for my question:

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139009
    OR
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] ir%20750HX

    Which do you think is better long-term/worth the price ?


    Your links are broken...but I know the 850w Corsair goes for around $130 before rebates. As far as quality goes... PC Power & Cooling is a quality psu. They are a top of the line psu like Corsair, Seasonic, etc... But again if you want some headroom...then the 850w seems the obvious choice. I put that psu in there for price point.

    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=PC+Power+and+Cooling+SILENCER+750W+QUAD+reviews&aq=f&oq=&aqi= <---Reviews for that psu.
  18. ^"Read what I said above. Purchasing one GTX275 would be a waste for me right now."

    you talking to me? read my post again, i suggested gtx 295 over 2 gtx 275

    the sapphire 4890 cools better if i remember correctly.
  19. overshocks said:
    ^"Read what I said above. Purchasing one GTX275 would be a waste for me right now."

    you talking to me? read my post again, i suggested gtx 295 over 2 gtx 275


    No, no I was talking to why_me :??: I was agreeing with what you said on that regard.
  20. Why_Me said:
    Your links are broken...but I know the 850w Corsair goes for around $130 before rebates. As far as quality goes... PC Power & Cooling is a quality psu. They are a top of the line psu like Corsair, Seasonic, etc... But again if you want some headroom...then the 850w seems the obvious choice. I put that psu in there for price point.

    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=PC+Power+and+Cooling+SILENCER+750W+QUAD+reviews&aq=f&oq=&aqi= <---Reviews for that psu.


    Links Fixed.
  21. edited post before:

    the sapphire 4890 cools better if i remember correctly.

    also sapphire uses 6pin/6pin
    xfx uses 6pin/8pin

    sapphire has the advantage here...and its cheaper lol

    the 850W psu will be better although the 750W is a modular..850W is more futureproof
  22. Alright thanks, and what's your opinion on the power supplies.

    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

    vs

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=Corsair%20750HX

    vs

    PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006382
  23. overshocks said:
    edited post before:

    the sapphire 4890 cools better if i remember correctly.

    also sapphire uses 6pin/6pin
    xfx uses 6pin/8pin

    sapphire has the advantage here...and its cheaper lol

    the 850W psu will be better although the 750W is a modular..850W is more futureproof


    The thing about this 750W though is its a higher end model, about 10-15% more power efficient and etc. So even with the loss of about 100W, I'm not sure which ends up better, hence why I asked this question :wahoo:.
  24. google some reviews :D
  25. Hehe, doing that right now :).

    By modular, you mean the parts are seperated, etc. ?

    Not the most tech. with such words :)
  26. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Hehe, doing that right now :).

    By modular, you mean the parts are seperated, etc. ?

    Not the most tech. with such words :)


    Yes, the main advantage of a modular PSU will be easy cable management, may help with temperatures inside case because of airflow.
  27. I FOUND THE ANSWER :). Check it out too it's pretty interesting.

    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/corsair_hx750w_750w_atx_psu/1
  28. See how its practically the same as the 850HX Model, which is better than the 850TX.
    :) Good stuff !
  29. great review, now find another one if its true.
  30. Now for the two motherboards I posted :).
  31. impressive. pretty much settles it too bad its quite expensive
  32. i have the evga motherboard you are looking at and the i7-920 processor in my computer as i speak to you now. my machine is powered by a corsair 750 watt psu and i can tell you it is a top notch unit as are the cpu and motherboard. my system is very similar to the one you are specing except i am not as aggressive in my video requirements. i believe you would be well served using the evga motherboard and corsair psu as the foundation of your performance machine. good luck
  33. Thanks for the reply Jimmy, nice to know that.
  34. jimmyz41 said:
    i have the evga motherboard you are looking at and the i7-920 processor in my computer as i speak to you now. my machine is powered by a corsair 750 watt psu and i can tell you it is a top notch unit as are the cpu and motherboard. my system is very similar to the one you are specing except i am not as aggressive in my video requirements. i believe you would be well served using the evga motherboard and corsair psu as the foundation of your performance machine. good luck


    coming from a newcomer, that was a well written paragraph compared to others lol. the evga mobo is good, but the asus is good too. OP needs to read reviews to decide, its tough.
  35. I'm about to go to bed, I'll be be back tomorrow though.

    I'm hoping all of this stuff gets cheaper towards the end of the year. This is going to be awesome for the new year !
  36. DaChicagoBearz said:
    I'm about to go to bed, I'll be be back tomorrow though.

    I'm hoping all of this stuff gets cheaper towards the end of the year. This is going to be awesome for the new year !


    it will be cheaper, also you do know that i9 is coming 2010 right?
    just get it when the christmas sales is on...that will save you some
  37. Okay, I'm back.

    Have only 2 questions left.

    What is a good hardrive that I can get?

    and

    EVGA E758-A1 vs ASUS P6TD Deluxe Motherboard
  38. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Okay, I'm back.

    Have only 2 questions left.

    What is a good hardrive that I can get?

    and

    EVGA E758-A1 vs ASUS P6TD Deluxe Motherboard


    hard drive, tell me if you need bigger capacity
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=samsung_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product

    why such high price boards, what you plannin to do mostly..
    and theres no point talking about this right now, you are purchasing your comp at end of year which prices will drop and new products coming..
  39. overshocks said:
    hard drive, tell me if you need bigger capacity
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&cm_re=samsung_f3-_-22-152-181-_-Product

    why such high price boards, what you plannin to do mostly..


    Running games at max video settings, for example Crysis, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and future games. Also, I want to have the option to go SLI in the future. Plus, all X58 boards are expensive, just some don't have SLI option.
  40. No, I don't need bigger capacity btw. Looks like a good hard drive is it a lot better than what I currently have ?

    Yea, but even with the release of newer products, only thing coming out that I'd be interested in is the 5000 Series or 300 for Nvidia. Plus, the products I'm looking at now won't magically get worse by the end of the year. i9 won't be out by the end of this year, no newer motherboards are really being released for i7, and hard drives stay consistent for months.

    By making a list right now I will be able to look back at this and still purchase these items and hopefully at a lower price. Even if I have to replace some thing's I doubt that all of these items will be mediocre by the end of the year.
  41. DaChicagoBearz said:
    No, I don't need bigger capacity btw. Looks like a good hard drive is it a lot better than what I currently have ?


    you are talking about your Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16GB ?
    yes it will smash that thing open.
  42. DaChicagoBearz said:
    No, I don't need bigger capacity btw. Looks like a good hard drive is it a lot better than what I currently have ?


    you can go for a lower price mobo with sli and crossfire support, since you dont use the extra features on the expensive boards, save some money
  43. What specific features are you referring to ? :)
  44. DaChicagoBearz said:
    What specific features are you referring to ? :)


    seeing how you are planning 5-10% overclock, the mobo you select dont have to be that high priced. the high price mobos are for overclocking mainly.
  45. Changed my mind, going to overclock the cpu to at least 3.6GHZ. After talking to my Uncle, I'm going to be looking at a build to support OC. So further comments should regard that info as well.
  46. bump
  47. anyone ? :P
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product