Operating system question (didn't know where to put this on the forum)

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
So I have been asking questions and getting answers and everything about builds for a new computer. One of my final questions is about the OS. I notice everyone recommends OEM software, but what happens if I install the OS and then in a year the board goes bad cause it was defective or in the extreme if it blows up right away... Don't I then have to go buy a new version? Wouldn't it be smarter for me to buy a retail version instead of OEM? Wouldn't it save me money in the long run?

Thanks for the input!

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Someone told me that you can only install it on that motherboard and that's it. I am pretty sure I read that on this forums.. so how does that work exactly. I know this is a basic question but I am trying to learn most of this here so I can then maybe help others and what not..

4745454b

Titan
"OEM"s like Dell and Gateway use a special copy of windows which is tied to the motherboard, or more appropriately the BIOS. An OEM copy of windows you buy from newegg can't work like that as it doesn't know which bios it should look for. As far as I know, you can buy an OEM copy of windows from newegg and use it just like any other copy. You just have to buy a piece of hardware with it.

It depends ... (Nice concrete answer, yes?)

Some OEM software is tied to a specific brand of hardware. The WinXP Pro disk that came with one of my HP notebooks was tied to HP notebooks. The installer would check to see if it was being installed on an HP notebook, and if it detected a different brand, it would refuse to install.

Other OEM software is generic. It won't matter what it is installed on.

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
So can anyone varify this just to make sure.. For an example so I its an easier question...

This means I can buy say

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM Includes free Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon

and

EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

And these two will work fine together even though they aren't a combo deal or whatever.. and if two years from now I wanted to buy a new MOBO the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM will still work just fine with the new board.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, it will work fine, but you'll probably need to re-activate it manually. This usually requires a call to Microsoft and an explanation as to why you trying to install this on a new system. Of course, if they determine that the old system is still in use, they can deny activation on the new system.

-Wolf sends