SUFFERING from the usual techno anxiety! - i5 with GTS240 - or - i7 with GT 220

G

Hi

Which would be best for games:

i5-750 Processor + 2GB NVIDIA GTS-240
or
i7-860 Processor + 1GB NVIDIA GT-220

Running on a 19" or 21" screen at mid-res.
(And the GT220 could not be updated on the machine it is in)

Thanks for any advice.

(ps - I know there's better out there than either, but that's the budget option I have.)

G

Thanks for that.

As I'm not building the system, I'm stuck with choosing the combinations that are out there.

The i5-750 Processor + 2GB NVIDIA GTS-240... runs at 2.66GHz

but the i7-860 Processor + 1GB NVIDIA GT-220... runs at 2.8GHz

Would that make much difference?

I'm obviously trying to choose the one that will not need updating too quickly in future. (but I know that i5 cannot be later updated to i7...)

jennyh

Splendid
Both those graphics cards are woefully underpowered for the cpu's. Understand that any gaming you do will be mediocre at best because of that.

That said, the i5 and 240 is the only sensible option.

Thanks for that.

As I'm not building the system, I'm stuck with choosing the combinations that are out there.

The i5-750 Processor + 2GB NVIDIA GTS-240... runs at 2.66GHz

but the i7-860 Processor + 1GB NVIDIA GT-220... runs at 2.8GHz

Would that make much difference?

Well first question is, what store/website are you looking at these 2 computers from.
2 whats your budget. (we maybe able to find a better computer for the price.)
3. what games are you playing?

For gaming out of those 2 option, the core i5 GTS 240would be the better choice as most game today are gpu limited than cpu.

I'm obviously trying to choose the one that will not need updating too quickly in future. (but I know that i5 cannot be later updated to i7...)

Actually the core i5 could be updated to an i7. What may limit you is manufacture may put bios limitation. just as long as you put an core i7 8xx (like the 860) and not the core i7 9xx (like the 920), you'll be fine.

G

Thanks.

I wanted to go directly through Dell/Alienware, but they cannot now delivery in time foir Christmas - and it is a present for my son, who will want to play latest war games, Sims 3, etc

So these are machines from high street stores, which I know don't give the same value as manufacture direct, but it's all I've left to choose from.

The 15-750/GTS-240 is in a Packard Bell iPower I9520. The other PC was a Dell XPS8000.

And is it even worth considering a laptop for gaming or are they prohibitively expensive for a gaming spec?

I'm panicking now!...

Many thanks again.

Thanks.

I wanted to go directly through Dell/Alienware, but they cannot now delivery in time foir Christmas - and it is a present for my son, who will want to play latest war games, Sims 3, etc

So these are machines from high street stores, which I know don't give the same value as manufacture direct, but it's all I've left to choose from.

The 15-750/GTS-240 is in a Packard Bell iPower I9520. The other PC was a Dell XPS8000.

And is it even worth considering a laptop for gaming or are they prohibitively expensive for a gaming spec?

I'm panicking now!...

Many thanks again.

For a gaming laptop, it not really worth it unless he going to be playing games on the go or on vacation from home.

For a gaming laptop, for a decent one, will start around $1k and for some of the best laptop's with the latest hardware, at the cheapest, will start $1,499.99. Asus g51j is that starting point of $1499. Even though this asus laptop has the lastest hardware, it's still equivalent to last year desktops in terms of power.

For what you wanting and needing, The core i5 system will be the best choice.

G

Oh and the packard Bell iPower is retailing at $1300/£850.

I suppose if I could later upgrade the graphics card in the i5-750 model, that would help. I'll have to check out whether or not that's possible

G

If we've established that NVidia GTS-240 is needed, at minimum - what would the Radeon HD equivalent of that be - the 4650, 4670?

(Or a 48-- series?..)

Oh and the packard Bell iPower is retailing at $1300/£850.

I suppose if I could later upgrade the graphics card in the i5-750 model, that would help. I'll have to check out whether or not that's possible

With Gpu's, unless the Pci-e been locked (which in your case it wont be because it need to be unlocked to run the gts 240 in it), you'll be able to switch out gpu's to what ever you like. Like the Nvidia GTX 260, 285 or Ati HD 5850.

What you will have to worry about though is the PSU. If may or may not be able to handle higher powered gpu's. Although most PSU are standardized form so you should be able to swap out psu's with ease.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Also would this be the Computer your looking into?
http://www.packardbell.co.uk/showroom/desktops/ipower/ipower-2.0-i9520-uk---64bit-operating-system-PT.U3902.005-43.html

Just a double check to be sure im looking at the right 1. ;)

jennyh

Splendid
If we've established that NVidia GTS-240 is needed, at minimum - what would the Radeon HD equivalent of that be - the 4650, 4670?

(Or a 48-- series?..)

The radeon equivalent of the gt 240 is the 4670 - it is a little bit less powerful and a lot less expensive. I would still be looking at a more powerful card, something like a 4770/4850/5750 minimum. All of those are the equivalent of the gts 250 and are pretty much the start of 'gaming' graphics cards now.

G

(Or a 48-- series?..)

Well im not sure the equivalent Ati card to nvidia gts 240 :??: although im guessing it will be around the 4650. maybe lower.

Now if the computer link above is the correct computer you're looking into, i would stick with Nvidia's cards as the MB in it will be able to do SLI.

What SLI means to the average person is that instead of having to buy a more powerful, more expansive, graphic card to play newer games, they can buy the same exact card to get more performance that can equal to or exceed the performance of a single graphic card.

The nice thing about sli is that you dont need 2 of the same graphic cards right away. You can get 1 now and buy a second one later when the prices have come down on it.

Now the GTS 240 CAN'T sli because it doesn't have the sli connector but the GTS 250 and above can.

G

Gotta go drop my son at his gran's - while trying to rush back to find a PC for him!

Thanks so much for the help - I'll check back in later for any updates.

well i must of been living under a rock. :lol: i never notice that. well i notice MB needed to be Sli certified and i been thinking it's the same with CF. well i guess i don't pay much attention to minor stuff like that.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'm a little late, but if I were looking for a pc I would go to newegg and use their power search.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/PowerSearch.aspx?N=2032280010&SubCategory=10&GASearch=3
You can select a few different options and see what comes up. I normally receive my orders within 5 days; this also depends on where you are located.

I also agree with BDDazza: "Couldn't you buy a cheaper Athlon II rig or a Phenom II rig and use the rest of the money on a better video card."

Phenom II chips are pretty cheap and have good performance. The Phenom II 955 performs similar to the i5 at stock speeds. Considering you are not building the rig, I’m thinking that you are not going to overclock the cpu.

Hope that helps some.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to hear that :(
I dont know if I will be of any help,
Good Luck
I'm sure you will find something good.

My bad, the GTS 250 is capable, it is a step up from the 9800 GTX+.

But the GT 220/GTS240 shouldnt be considered.

The GTS 250 is leaps and bounds better than the GTS 240. Honestly, the fact that nVidia even released the GTS 220 and GTS 240 baffles me. Neither are relevant for playing modern games in my opinion.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
OP:

If you're in the UK get onto scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk and get one of their pre-built systems.

With every option you're looking at you're getting horribly ripped off.

For example:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-030-OE&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=

Change your case option to an Antec 300 and graphics card option to a Radeon 5850 or 5870, yes it hits a grand in price and will rock any games thrown at it for a while yet and much cheaper than an Alienware.

For about half that price is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK&groupid=43&catid=1445&subcat=

which is also perfectly good, but if your budget can stretch it e-mail them and ask if they'll upgrade it with a Radeon 5850 or 5870 - it'll last longer than the 4870 included as standard.