Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Changed Case and Now PC constantly restarts

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2009 10:06:28 AM

Hey guys specs are as follows although I´m not sure they make a difference here as the PC worked before:

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Modular
Intel I7 920
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB
Gigabyte GTX 275
Thermaltake Element G
WD HDD 1TB

So the issue is that I had bought the PC is Australia and set it up there. All worked fine with no issues at all. Last month I had to come back and so I pulled everything out to take with me on the plane and then reassembled where I live in Spain with a new case.

This is where the issues start and Ive spent 2 days troubleshooting to no avail.

The PC turns on and then turns off again 3 secs later and repeats this until I turn the PSU off. When this happens:

All the case lights come on and I can modify lights and speed.
CPU, and GPU start up
HDD boots up

Once I got it to boot up and start booted up but I had no signal from the graphics card. This was when the card was not quite seated properly so I turned it off and screwed it in. Once this was done the same turn on/off issue returned.

Side note: I have the modular toughpower but left the module for SATA power for the HDD in Australia and am using a molex converter, could this be the issue? I dont think so but its worth covering that as well.

Any help would be great as Im running out of ideas.

Thanks all

More about : changed case constantly restarts

a c 143 B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2009 10:55:18 AM

you have a short .

or the power switch or reset switch are faulty
September 20, 2009 11:10:37 AM

Thanks for the quick response, Ive narrowed it down the GPU, if I take the grahics card out then the pc stays on. What should I look at barring checking another card as I do not have one available. Thanks again, don´t know what I do would do without PC forums!!
Related resources
September 20, 2009 11:47:45 AM

OK so narrowed it down further, if I take the guts out the case and try it it works fine. As soon as I put it back in the case the problem persists. I´ve checked the case over and over to see if there is anything that could short it and cannot see anything so stumped.

Any suggestions helpful as I´m trying everything at the moment.
September 20, 2009 11:52:46 AM

Update: I have no antistatic shield as I lost it in the move, could this be it?
September 21, 2009 4:35:43 AM

OK so for those that may have the same problem the GTX 275 for some reason was shorting the board. Stuck cardboard on the bottom pegs that hug the mobo and on the top where you screw it to the case and whoohoo PC is back up and running. Took about 10 hours of trial and error but finally got it.

Hope this helps future querys.