Hi guys.. First off let me start off with my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
CPU: Amd Athlon 6000+ x64 Dual Core
Memory: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 (4x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel
Graphics Card: Asus 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Hiper 580W
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB

my problem:

my pc had no problems before... then i changed my motherboard and got the Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3... still no problems... EXCEPT when i used to turn my PC off, and turn it back on.. it didnt beep.. and it just wouldnt beep.. i had to let it rest for like 10-15 mins then turn it back on..

thats not my main issue... recently.. i keep getting random restarts.. now the main issue is that.. this happened like 3x now i think... My pc turns itself off randomly.. and doesnt turn back on.. i waited and waited.. tryed again, it wont turn on.. i switched off the PSU from the back switch.. back on.. tryed again.. it wont work.. replugged the PSU cable.. doesnt work.. so i shut the pc down from the mains and waited for abit.. turned it back on.. tadaaa it works! one day later.. same problem again?

What could be causing this?

My PC is not even that old! A few months and my PSU is new aswell.. I had the Antec EarthWatts 380W before..

any suggestions? thanks for your help!

More about : shuts doesnt turn back

September 20, 2009 11:19:21 AM

seems like an overheating problem,
the cpu reaches critical temp, shuts down, and won't restart unless it cools down.
try reinstalling the cpu cooler and check your case airflow-fans
September 20, 2009 11:23:30 AM

normally when my CPU overheats (past 60degrees) it starts beeping... same with my graphic card i think although my graphic card idles at around 42 degrees...

can it still be overheating?
Related resources
September 20, 2009 11:32:40 AM

2 months ago it was overheating (beeping noises) i reseated the cpu cooler and it was no longer overheating
September 20, 2009 11:56:11 PM

the problem just got worse and im restarting more often now :| im monitoring my temps on everest ultimate.. what could be the problem?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 21, 2009 1:43:40 AM

What are the temps looking like? Could be a bad PSU maybe.
September 21, 2009 1:47:08 AM

GPU: 43 degrees
Motherboard: 34 degrees
CPU: AROUND 40 Right now with the following programs running:

Windows Media Player (songs)
Notepad
Mozilla Firefox with 3 tabs

about 20 mins ago it was around 34.. with just windows media player..
But it just keeps going up and down around 32-45 degrees.
September 21, 2009 10:07:25 PM

aha i think it was due to overheating yes.. but wierdly it doesnt make beeping sounds anymore.. today my pc randomly froze for a second and straight away i checked my temperatures.. my cpu was 54 and core 1 was 58 or something.. normally it beeps and freezes 60.. i will be getting either a new cpu cooler, or re applying new thermal paste and installing the same standard cpu cooler..

lets say that was solved.. what about the problem where when i shut my computer down and turn it back on, it doesnt beep.. and i have to wait for like 15 mins?

Thanks by the way, everybody :) 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2009 3:08:14 PM

Maybe its because you stole my Steam account ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2009 8:31:59 PM

Yeah, when your computer turns itself off and doesn't reboot, overheating is always at or near the top of the list. Especially if the problem "fixes itself" in 10-15 minutes.

Usually with a Gigabyte board, they give you warning beeps before overheating, though. So it's odd that you didn't get any.

One question: When you installed the new motherboard, did you wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows? If not, lingering drivers from the last motherboard could be causing all kinds of trouble, including system churning, crashes, freezing, boot problems, you name it. So definitely reinstall the OS if you haven't already.

Last thing ... If this is your memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... then it takes at least 1.9V, probably 2.0V if you've got four sticks installed. The "standard issue" voltage for DDR2 is 1.8V. So if you haven't gone into the BIOS and set the voltage manually to 2.0V, do that. Otherwise, your board is probably only providing 1.8V, or even if it's autodetecting the RAM correctly, it might not be compensating for the extra juice you need with four sticks. Low RAM voltage is one of the main causes of random system freezing.
!