WHICH IS THE BEST WINDOWS FOR GAMING??

wizard101uk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
Hi People,
I was just wondering what in your opinion is the best Version of Windows for the PC GAMER is??
Windows 98SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000 PRO
Windows XP
Thank you for your reply.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if it wasnt for the fact it kept crashing id say 98se.
xp hasnt been running long enough to say if it is better. so far so good thou 2000 if you know what your doing with it can edge out 98. but for ur everyday gamer? id say go with 98 is cheaper dont have to work at it.
2000 if you know what you are doing with the operating system.
xp if your me :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by james35 on 10/23/01 11:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If the game works under win2k, then win2k.
If it only works with Win9x, then win98.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Windows 2K for now and maybe XP later!

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

G

It largely comes down to personal preference and your machine. Windows 98SE/Me are probably best performance wise but obviously Windows 2000/XP are more stable. If you have plenty of RAM (or money to get more) and a good system, I would suggest XP. RAM is a bit of an issue if you don't have heaps because 2K/XP has more crap sitting there from the word go. Under Win Me I was usually amoungst the first into the next level playing Counter Strike but under XP I'm about middle to the end of the group. This is with 256MB of RAM, I would get more with it being so cheap but 2 of my 3 mobo slots are stuffed :(
So in short I would suggest:
High end machine with heaps of RAM -> XP
Mid range machine -> Me or 98SE

Pete

G

I'd say it really comes down to game type more then the machine you got. If your more into older DOS based games then I would definately recommend 98, because I havent had a whole lot of luck with "compatibility" in XP. But, if you play newer games, I'd go with 2K or XP

troopr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2001
I read a post somwhere here about 2 months ago that said Win 2000 is not the best for gamers. If you use your machine for mostly gaming, 98se or ME is best. HOWEVER...I also read that win ME is really an optimised version of 98se.

A reminder, this is not my opinion, I only read this. I run win ME and it runs fine for me.

G

Since you did not specify which game you intend on playing. I would have to say look at the box of the games you like to play and follow the directions. Somewhere on the box there is a place that designates the games perfered OS.

Wake up and smell the coffee! P.S. but not too early in the Morning!

G

hi i read about counter strike....

one question ...
i have amd 1700xp+ winMe 256 ddr and tnt2 and i cant play counter at 1024/768 openGl as i did with PIII 733 128md ram...The FPS now are 3 0 ...... do u have any idea???

Thank u