Sign in with
Your question

Image/Video Editing Raid Setup - Please Review

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2011 1:06:56 AM

Planning a new build for a image and video editing system.

For those who are interested the spec is as below:
* Gigabyte GA-Z58X-UDH3-B3 Motherboard
* Intel i7-2600K CPU
* On board chipset and marvell raids. No plan to add additional raid cards.

Sata ports on board are:
Port 0 and 1 - 6Gbps - Intel Chipset
Ports 2 through 5 - 3Gbps - Intel Chipset. #5 routed to rear panel as e-sata.
Port 6 and 7 - 6 Gbps - Marvell

I'm planning the following raid setup. Some questions below the pic.

1. Please critique / correct / suggest improvements.
2. Would the dual processor on the WDC Black help with reducing load on CPU in this case or is that moot?
3. Generally, what's the difference between 7200K RPM vs 5400/59xx RPM in raids (0,1,5). Looking for synthetic measurements from which I will draw inferences for real world impact. Please point me to any such 7200 vs 5400 RPM comparo measurements if already posted elsewhere.
4. I asked #2 and #3 because I am debating between the WDC Black 1.5Tb drive vs a green 2Tb drive both of which are at the same price point.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
July 21, 2011 1:09:44 AM

Just wanted to add that none of these raid arrays are intended to provide 100% backup and protection from data loss. I will have a couple of offline data storage options that will provide the backups.

That said, the raid 5 does add a level protection from failure for online content.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 21, 2011 1:23:31 AM

How many layers of HD that you want to edit and what codec are you going to use?

Oppss I should ask SD or HD edting?
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2011 1:31:02 AM

FireWire2 said:
How many layers of HD that you want to edit and what codec are you going to use?

Oppss I should ask SD or HD edting?

HD editing.

Honestly, new to HD editing. So don't know much about programs and codecs and I will be researching that as well. I happen to have Corel VideoStudio Pro x2 at the moment for video and Adobe Web Premium CS 5.5 suite as well for photos and Flash.

Source content will be from a Canon HD camcorder and/or a Full Frame Canon/Nikon DSLR that supports 1080p video.

Surely you asked those questions for a reason(s) and I would love to learn those if you can in a nutshell please! Will help me.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 21, 2011 2:57:39 AM

I'm not a video editing expert, but I don't see any benefit to placing the applications in a separate partition. The apps are married to the OS once you've installed them - it's not like you can, for example, re-install the OS without re-installing the apps. So IMHO it would be more space efficient and less complex to just throw them into the same partition.
m
l
July 22, 2011 1:16:23 AM

I learnt elsewhere that I might run into issues with using WDC Black and Raid 5 together due to TLER being turned off in the desktop black drives.

So it is all going to be raid zero.

@sminlal - the partition for OS is to ensure that OS files stay on the outer edge of the platters which generally give the best read/write performance. Having a dedicated partition would secure that prime physical space on the platters for OS (I think!). Updates, driver installs, service pack installs etc. over time would all then still happen in this prime physical location of the platters. If OS and Apps were all on one partition, then OS could take, say, first 20GB, apps the next 300GB and the OS service pack that potentially installs later one would be 320GB into the platter space. I want to prioritize OS over apps over data. The former two would be random where as the data would be continuous/sequential (at least relatively speaking that is!). Maybe I could/should go with an even smaller OS partition - say, 30GB instead of 60GB??

From reading elsewhere, it also appears that it's best that the OS/App array is using 7200RPM drives. The data/write-to array can use probably use 5400/59xx drives without resulting in a significant drop in performance (relative to the 7200 option) as that array would mostly be (relatively) sequential.

I already have 3x1TB7200 drives that I wanted to use in these arrays. I was debating whether to use these for the OS array and get the slower green drives for the data array or go with WDC blacks for the same price point as green albeit with a 25% lower capacity. So far, I am inclined towards the 3x1.5TB7200 blacks for the OS+App array and use my existing 2x1TB7200 for the data/write-to array; although I am still skeptical about the TLER limitation on the blacks potentially rendering them useless with hardware raid or raids other than 0 and 1, if I were ever to use those other raid options.

EDIT (for a question): BTW, what's the optimal stripe size for OS and Apps (separate raid volumes) that I should use? I plan to use 128 for data. Is that a good idea?
m
l
!