Ordered i7 but starting to regret. Did I make the right choice?

olkka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
OK, here's the deal. There were three main things in my mind while planning my new Gaming Rig:

High Performance in Games, Future Proof & Price

After long long long thinking, analyzing and researching ended up ordering this (the components should arrive next week:

- Corsair TX850W
- ASUS P6T SE
- Intel Core i7-920 (will overclock)
- Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (changed mind from Scythe Mugen 2)
- G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600mhz
- XFX RADEON HD 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0

Price: 811,66 € ~ $1195
www4.hardwareversand.de (the cheapest prices)

Price was OK for my budget, considering this would be "The Dream Gaming PC" for me that would hopefully survive after 2-3 years, too = Future Proof!

BUT, then I started looking and reading again, "unfortunately"... I noticed that i5-750 with 1156 motherboard would have cost me over 100€ ~ $150 less! AND the performance in gaming benchmarks would be quite same, even better!
http://namegt.tistory.com/224
http://img.inpai.com.cn/article/2009/8/14/b95f4ce0-68df-4634-833c-a9f1b5d1ecc2.png
etc. etc.

Now, I'm quite pissed off, because I really put a LOT of effort and time in this :(! Did I really make the right choice investing more than $150 in 1366 i7-platform?! :/

Thanks for your comments, pushes & disses! :pt1cable:

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
You made a good choice. Like sirkillalot said the new 5 series is coming out so maybe you could have saved a little money there, but it's not a huge deal. Yes the i5 appears close to the i7 in a lot of benches but there are other things the i7 can do that i5 can't. Don't worry, you're fine.

Olkka - You might have an option. You mentioned that you ordered parts and they should arrive next week. You could trying contacting the vendor and ask if you could get the newer components instead. You would probably have to pay to ship the original components you ordered. Personally I think your system will be fine.

sirkillalot - From news articles that I read only one 5000 series video card will be introduced on Tuesday, September 22nd. The rest of the cards will be introduced over a period of time, perhaps as long as 6 to 12 months. The 5000 series cards use 40 nanometer technology. This time next year we should be seeing the introduction of cards using 32 nanometer technology which promises more performance but less power consumption.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
You are perfectly fine, your build is more future proof and you can't complain because computer technology advances at a huge speed so if you buy something today then tomorrow something will always be released thats better and for cheaper. ITs just how it is and you need to pick a time and buy it and just live with it. You need accept that this stuff advances crazy fast.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

^+1 best answer, nothing needed to be add except
"Did I really make the right choice investing more than $150 in 1366 i7-platform?! :/ " Yes, you've made the right choice

olkka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
OK, hopefully I have made the right choice with 1366 i7-platform instead of 1156 i5-platform...

About those upcoming 5xxx DirectX 11 cards. The cheapest model seems to be about $150 more expensive than XFX Radeon HD 4890... But yeah, maybe I should have waited and pay some extra bucks. Interesting to see the quality of 1gen DX11 cards...

Even though, I might have an opportunity change the order, still...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Yup, you've made a right choice. The 1366 has more expandability than the 1156, more PCI-E lanes, more ram slots.

It is a hell of a lot better than my C2D, and others C2Q, and PII.

The thing probably only worth changing is the 4890, though the card would arrive to you long before the 5xxx series is launched.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^+1 1366 is in the simplest and most basic terms a more high-end route while 1156 fills in the gap that intel had of mainstream processors. Your choice is will be more expensive to upgrade but supports higher end equipment and components and has a longer future as far as i can see since soon to be hexacored processing chips will be released on your socket :)