Using SSDs in RAID 0 for double the performance

Hey guys

i recently bought a 2600k and the asus maximus extreme-z mobo.

This mobo has the z68 chipset and according to OCZ the Vertex 3 gives max performance on the p67 chipset

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

and i am guessing that the z68 chipset is some kind of upgrade from the p67 chipset so i should still get max performance on this mobo ?

It says in the mobo's description that it has two SATA 6GB/s ports and built in raid 0 support

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_ExtremeZ/#specifications

So I was wondering if putting two 60GB Vertex 3 in Raid 0 on the 6GB/s ports on this Mobo will really give me the best SSD performance possible

------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using raid 0 really will give me double the performance of a single 120GB Vertex 3 right. Do you know if there will be any bottle necks in this setup?
6 answers Last reply
More about using ssds raid double performance
  1. 2 SSD's in RAID0 doesnt allow TRIM and after a while they will be slower then a single SSD for writes etc

dont bother

as for P67 and Z68 - same thing really, Intel SATA 6gbps ports etc -dont use the external controller ports

any reason you need that overpriced motherboard? i never see the value or point in them at all.
  2. Ah damn thats just too bad. I guess no raid 0 for me I will just go with a single 120gb vertex 3.
    I bought that mobo for its future upgradibilty though now ofcource i see that i bought it because it looked flashy lol
  3. apache_lives said:
    2 SSD's in RAID0 doesnt allow TRIM and after a while they will be slower then a single SSD for writes etc

dont bother

as for P67 and Z68 - same thing really, Intel SATA 6gbps ports etc -dont use the external controller ports

any reason you need that overpriced motherboard? i never see the value or point in them at all.

Forgot to say thanks i didnt know about trim i would have wrecked my ssds
  4. Raid0 does NOT double performance.
    Raid0 increases the Performance of sequencial Read/Writes, but this is normally the least important factor. Raid0 does Not Improve access time and little improvement in the more important small file access. Raid0 makes sense if it is for a data drive working with large files.

As to trim, This was very important for past generation (Prior to Sata III generation). Internal garbage collection has improved, but Trim is still worth it.

As to OCZ Vertex III - Yes Highest performance, But in real life task not that much better than SATA III using the marvel controller.
    Before Buying, check out (1) reviews at newegg (OCZ dissatifaction double that of Marvel Based controller. (2) Trot over to the OCZ forum
  5. RetiredChief said:
    Raid0 does NOT double performance.
    Raid0 increases the Performance of sequencial Read/Writes, but this is normally the least important factor. Raid0 does Not Improve access time and little improvement in the more important small file access. Raid0 makes sense if it is for a data drive working with large files.

As to trim, This was very important for past generation (Prior to Sata III generation). Internal garbage collection has improved, but Trim is still worth it.

As to OCZ Vertex III - Yes Highest performance, But in real life task not that much better than SATA III using the marvel controller.
    Before Buying, check out (1) reviews at newegg (OCZ dissatifaction double that of Marvel Based controller. (2) Trot over to the OCZ forum

I have decided to go with the intel 510 instead. According to the reviews online its a lot more reliable then the vertex 3
  6. Good choice.
    Should have today the Crucial M4 (Got it on sale $212). Orginally got the Agility III for a Samsung RF711-S01 (SB) laptop - NO workee - Hopefully the M4 will.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Performance NAS / RAID Chipsets Storage Product