Need assistance making RAM work with my MoBo

Helllo everyone. I'm new to the forums but have used this site for quite a while to help make choices on equipment & do research before buying. I generally like to build the best-bang-for-buck type rigs. I am a gamer & also use CAD software. I've built probably close to 150 computers (used to do small business IT consulting), but I never got really into the hardware side of things regarding OC'ing, voltages, and how things function on that basic level.

I built this rig about 2.5 years ago & it's still runs great. I am about to start playing a new game & doing some side CAD work at home & thought I would do some upgrades to squeeze another year or two out of it. On black Friday I found a good deal on the G.Skill ram listed below. I just looked at the base info (I stayed up really late to grab a Thrive tablet for $199 & the ram was an impulse buy). Well, I just saw that it was DDR3 1600 which I knew to be what I was currently running. I however did not think to check to ensure my MoBo supported the default voltage for the G.Skill modules.

When I installed them, the PC wouldn't post, it just gave me a power error & beeped. I forget the exact verbage. I also forgot that the MoBo was manually configured to 7.7.6.18 1.9v instead of on Auto. I updated my Bios last night to enable the core unlocking feature that was added to attempt to unlock my 4th core, while in there, I saw that the default timing for my mobo is the same as the G.Skill, but the lowest voltage it will configure to is the default 1.6. I can't set it down to the 1.5 that the new memory is listed to work at. I'm going to try to install the memory again & see if it will post, but I wanted to post up here & get input from people with far more knowledge than myself.

My question is, is there a way to change my bios settings or OC this memory to make it work with the higher voltage? It was pretty late last night when I was done getting the Bios updated, then reconfiguring my Raid settings to it would recognize the OS (running 2 WD blacks in raid 0). I haven't tried putting the ram back in since the manual timing/voltage settings got wiped when I flashed the bios. The MoBo is very OC friendly as I can configure everything manually with ease.

I posted links to everything on NewEgg for additional technical info.
The RAM in question:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL Cas Latency:9 Voltage:1.5V Multi-channel Kit:Quad Channel Kit Timing:9-9-9-24

My Build:
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Cas Latency7 Timing7-7-6-18 Voltage1.8V - 1.9V
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Thank you very much for taking time to read my post & I hope there's a way to make the RAM work, I'd love to quadruple my ram & not have wasted that money on memory I can't use!
5 answers Last reply
More about need assistance making work mobo
  1. I attempted to edit/add some info. I am not running the current Muskin at 1666, i'm running it at 1333 at the specified timings & voltages. It has been extremely stable & I do not mind running the new ram at 1333 or OC'ing it. I just hope to make the new memory work with my rig. Again, thank you for your time.
  2. The kit you´got is designed for the Sandy Bridge-E And X79 Express plataform. They are a Quad channel kit for Intel X79 LGA 2011, while your motherboard supported dual channel . As they are DDR3 they might fit into the DIMMs, however you might be experiementing a bit of incompatibility.

If I was you I´d return the kit, then I´d get a dual channel kit from your motherboard manufacturer memory support list.

On the other hand if you can´t return the kit, and decide to keep it, then you can try manually set frequency, latency and voltage in the bios.
  3. The detault timings are the same as the new kit, however, my mobo only goes as low as 1.6v & the new memory operates at 1.5. I don't know enough about the settings to know if I can simply run it at a higher volt, or if I need to tweak some other settings along with the voltage to make something else work right or be in a correct multiple. Also, I can't return the kit because I took one of the module's head spreaders off to fit under my huge CPU cooler.
  4. Another thought, I thought the Dual Channel just meant it was a pair of modules sold together. Example, my first ram kit was 2 sticks of 2gb. 2x2 for a total of 4gb. My new set is 4x4 for 16gb. Am I mistaken? I googled to try to find out more on that but an article I found said there was no home PC that actually used a 4 channel setup. That's why I'm posting here, to shed more light on my situation.

Thank you for the reply, and I will try to get them to work tonight now that the timings are rest & match the new ram, I just ran out of time last night & had to get some sleep before work.
  5. Did you get it working?

Multi-channel memory architecture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking Product