Sign in with
Your question

Need assistance making RAM work with my MoBo

Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2011 4:29:33 PM

Helllo everyone. I'm new to the forums but have used this site for quite a while to help make choices on equipment & do research before buying. I generally like to build the best-bang-for-buck type rigs. I am a gamer & also use CAD software. I've built probably close to 150 computers (used to do small business IT consulting), but I never got really into the hardware side of things regarding OC'ing, voltages, and how things function on that basic level.

I built this rig about 2.5 years ago & it's still runs great. I am about to start playing a new game & doing some side CAD work at home & thought I would do some upgrades to squeeze another year or two out of it. On black Friday I found a good deal on the G.Skill ram listed below. I just looked at the base info (I stayed up really late to grab a Thrive tablet for $199 & the ram was an impulse buy). Well, I just saw that it was DDR3 1600 which I knew to be what I was currently running. I however did not think to check to ensure my MoBo supported the default voltage for the G.Skill modules.

When I installed them, the PC wouldn't post, it just gave me a power error & beeped. I forget the exact verbage. I also forgot that the MoBo was manually configured to 7.7.6.18 1.9v instead of on Auto. I updated my Bios last night to enable the core unlocking feature that was added to attempt to unlock my 4th core, while in there, I saw that the default timing for my mobo is the same as the G.Skill, but the lowest voltage it will configure to is the default 1.6. I can't set it down to the 1.5 that the new memory is listed to work at. I'm going to try to install the memory again & see if it will post, but I wanted to post up here & get input from people with far more knowledge than myself.

My question is, is there a way to change my bios settings or OC this memory to make it work with the higher voltage? It was pretty late last night when I was done getting the Bios updated, then reconfiguring my Raid settings to it would recognize the OS (running 2 WD blacks in raid 0). I haven't tried putting the ram back in since the manual timing/voltage settings got wiped when I flashed the bios. The MoBo is very OC friendly as I can configure everything manually with ease.

I posted links to everything on NewEgg for additional technical info.
The RAM in question:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL Cas Latency:9 Voltage:1.5V Multi-channel Kit:Quad Channel Kit Timing:9-9-9-24

My Build:
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Cas Latency7 Timing7-7-6-18 Voltage1.8V - 1.9V
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Thank you very much for taking time to read my post & I hope there's a way to make the RAM work, I'd love to quadruple my ram & not have wasted that money on memory I can't use!

December 14, 2011 4:35:49 PM

I attempted to edit/add some info. I am not running the current Muskin at 1666, i'm running it at 1333 at the specified timings & voltages. It has been extremely stable & I do not mind running the new ram at 1333 or OC'ing it. I just hope to make the new memory work with my rig. Again, thank you for your time.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2011 5:11:00 PM

The kit you´got is designed for the Sandy Bridge-E And X79 Express plataform. They are a Quad channel kit for Intel X79 LGA 2011, while your motherboard supported dual channel . As they are DDR3 they might fit into the DIMMs, however you might be experiementing a bit of incompatibility.

If I was you I´d return the kit, then I´d get a dual channel kit from your motherboard manufacturer memory support list.

On the other hand if you can´t return the kit, and decide to keep it, then you can try manually set frequency, latency and voltage in the bios.

Related resources
December 14, 2011 5:19:05 PM

The detault timings are the same as the new kit, however, my mobo only goes as low as 1.6v & the new memory operates at 1.5. I don't know enough about the settings to know if I can simply run it at a higher volt, or if I need to tweak some other settings along with the voltage to make something else work right or be in a correct multiple. Also, I can't return the kit because I took one of the module's head spreaders off to fit under my huge CPU cooler.
December 14, 2011 5:22:19 PM

Another thought, I thought the Dual Channel just meant it was a pair of modules sold together. Example, my first ram kit was 2 sticks of 2gb. 2x2 for a total of 4gb. My new set is 4x4 for 16gb. Am I mistaken? I googled to try to find out more on that but an article I found said there was no home PC that actually used a 4 channel setup. That's why I'm posting here, to shed more light on my situation.

Thank you for the reply, and I will try to get them to work tonight now that the timings are rest & match the new ram, I just ran out of time last night & had to get some sleep before work.
!