First time builder $1500-$2000 PC Suggestions please

Hi,I am going to build my first pc.I live in Japan and plan to buy parts in Akihabara.I think the parts in newegg etc...can be found there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:10/3 BUDGET RANGE:1500-2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:gaming,video converting

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:SSD,Speakers,Mouse and Keyboard,Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Going to buy in shop COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Japan

PARTS PREFERENCES:I would like to use a Intel 920 with a Rampage II Extreme MoBo using a 24 inch screen and Full tower.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080?- Going to use 24 inch screen

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:Want to use Windows 7 64bit
I want the Rampage because I want it to be future proof.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the parts I currently have in mind:
CPU:Intel i7 920
Mobo: Asus Rampage II Extreme.Also have the GIGABYTE x58-UD5 in mind.
Case:Coolermaster HAF 932
PSU:Suggestions please.I really dont know which PSU to choose.
CPU Cooler:Scythe KABUTO.
RAM:No idea.
HDD:About 750-1Tb
Video Card:Nvidia GTX 285 or ATI Radeon HD5870
Disc Drive:Cheap/Good DVD drive I can find.Blu-ray not needed.

Note:Honestly,I have a feeling that I dont need the Rampage MoBo but I just dont want to regret in the future.

And there you have it.Please comment and suggest anything.
7 answers Last reply
More about first time builder 1500 2000 suggestions please
  1. ram 6 gigs ocz platinium psu corsair 750 watt/850watt on any good quality(antec,pc power &cooling,ocz) in that power range and samsung f3 1tb good drive get the 5870
  2. glad to know you live in tokyo, been there it's pretty amazing.

that list of parts is pretty good, but you dont need a gtx 285 or 5870 for 1920x1080 unless you play really high settings in crysis
    you for your build you dont need over 750W unless you crossfire/sli which is not needed for 1920x1080
    for heatsink, i believe in japan theres way better heatsink than kabuto

ill post some parts after.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&cm_re=antec_1200-_-11-129-043-_-Product
  3. I think you'd be better off with an i7 860 and LGA 1156 mobo. That would give you better performance and be cheaper.
  4. paranoidmage said:
    I think you'd be better off with an i7 860 and LGA 1156 mobo. That would give you better performance and be cheaper.

better performance? i7 920> i7 860
    cheaper? his budget is 1500-2000, money is not an issue.
    when you dont know the facts, dont open your mouth so wide
  5. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.I think Ill stick with the 920.How about the MoBo?Which is recommended?,Rampage II E or GIGABYTE X58-UD5?And is a 650 PSU good enough?
  6. As for PSU I don't know what will be available where your going but as long as you get one from a quality manufacturer (Corsair, PC Power, Antec) you'll be fine.

One thing to look out for though is that a lot of times in the 600-750w range there is very little if any price difference between higher end models. Just as an example I listed a couple below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

One is 620 and one is 750 and their the same price. Both are very good PSU's and in a situation like that I would go with the more powerful unit.
  7. I have decided to get the Antec ea-750 for the PSU.I am also thinking of changing the pc case to a NZXT Tempest to add some cash for RAM.
    Also would like to know if there is any difference/advantage if I purchase a Rampage II Extreme over a GIGABYTE X58-UD5 or a P6T Deluxe V2.I have heard the rampage is good for overclocking etc...but I dont think I will overclock like crazy...Just want to overclock to a degree that wont do any harm to the parts.

Thanks in advance. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product