Your question

XP Doesn't See DVD Drive

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 28, 2012 1:33:16 AM

Hello,

I'm almost done with my new build. I've got a multi-boot system with 4 XP's running. I swapped out my DVD drive with another one I have, a TSSTCORP from Newegg that I got several years ago. The drive works fine on 3 of my bootable partitions. Works fine in the CMOS. My last partition initially sees it and pops up a baloon that it's found new hardware. That all seems to go fine but it never shows up anywhere. Not in device drivers, not in computer management. The next time I boot it doesn't find anything. It had no problem with the other DVD drive I had installed.

I've looked in the registry under the DVD Drives section and there's no upper or lower filters present. I've seen posts that if they're there it may not see the drive.

Any ideas how to get my XP load to recognize the DVD drive?

This is the last thing I need to do and I'm done with my new system.

Thanks

More about : dvd drive

February 28, 2012 12:56:29 PM

Hi. In windows explorer, go to Tools / folder options / view. Check the box for Show hidden files folders and drives. Uncheck the box for Hide empty drive in computer folder. Press F5 to refresh.
m
l
February 28, 2012 3:12:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Found the cause but not the solution.

My load is wiped out from this so I reloaded the image.

When I plug in my PCI modem and reboot, I'll see the DVD drive until xp says it found the modem and loaded drivers for it. When done, the DVD drive goes away. There's nothing in the computer management or device drivers.

Only use a modem once in a while when internet service is out for some reason but it's nice to have when it does.

Any ideas?

ASROCK 880GM-LE on board video
8g Corsair PC1333
WD 160g sata
Hauppauge PCI Video Capture

m
l
!