Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID 5 is there any real difference between 3/gbs and 6/gbs?

Last response: in Storage
July 21, 2011 11:25:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I would like to make a 3TB RAID 5 using three 1TB WDRE4 (which are on sale for 102 right now, at the site that is named after the big river). It has TLER enabled but it is a 3/gbs interface.

I was going to use the WDBlack drive instead because it has an 6/gbs interface, but it does not have TLER enabled.

So I guess my question is, which should I go with?
Will I ever reach the 6/gbs with the RAID or is it just a waste?
How much of a differance will I see between the two?

It is for my PC, not a server.

My specs are:

Asus Crosshair formula IV
AMD 1090 @ 4.0ghz
16GB RAM
Vertex 3 SSD

Best solution

a c 76 G Storage
July 21, 2011 12:36:53 PM

There is no significant performance difference when using hard disks as their transfer rate is too low. If you can afford them, use RE4 drives for your RAID.
a c 76 G Storage
July 21, 2011 12:40:21 PM

There is no significant performance difference when using hard disks as their transfer rate is too low. If you can afford them, use RE4 drives for your RAID.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 21, 2011 12:49:05 PM

GhislainG said:

I thought so, but was not sure if that would still be the case in a RAID.

How about in terms of TLER?
Do I want the error recovery to be limited?
Will I still be able to run error recovery on it after it has been dropped from the RAID?

Thanks for your input :D 
a c 76 G Storage
July 21, 2011 2:48:24 PM

metawin said:
I thought so, but was not sure if that would still be the case in a RAID.

How about in terms of TLER?
Do I want the error recovery to be limited?
Will I still be able to run error recovery on it after it has been dropped from the RAID?

Thanks for your input :D 
TLER prevents drives from being dropped from the array unless there's a serious issue with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recover...

Regardless of the drives being used (RE4 drives are recommended), you still need to perform regular backups.
a b G Storage
July 21, 2011 10:03:51 PM

RAID is to pretect against physical drive failure. With RAID 5, you can lose a single drive, if you have a hotspare or replace the failed drive it will utilize the parity info on the remainging drives to rebuild het bad drive. Don't plan on recovering from a failed RAID array, while its doable it's not fun. Make sure you have good backups regardless of what RAID configuration you use.
a b G Storage
July 22, 2011 7:06:51 AM

Each drive is hooked up to its own SATA port. As such, it makes no difference seeing as neither drive can max out what SATA 3.0 can do.

Quote:
I would like to make a 3TB RAID 5 using three 1TB WDRE4

You might like/want to, but RAID5 doesn't work like that. You'll end up with a 2TB (1.8ish formatted) drive.
a c 76 G Storage
July 22, 2011 12:22:08 PM

To end up up with a 3 TB array, the OP requires four 1 TB drives.
a b G Storage
July 22, 2011 3:43:54 PM

Gah, don't give him the answer....
July 22, 2011 9:17:44 PM

GhislainG said:
To end up up with a 3 TB array, the OP requires four 1 TB drives.

Thanks for pointing that out, can I just add one later without having to remake the entire raid or losing data?

July 22, 2011 9:20:48 PM

4745454b said:
Gah, don't give him the answer....

I think maybe your lost, this is a place people come to for answers.
July 22, 2011 9:32:51 PM

metawin said:
Thanks for pointing that out, can I just add one later without having to remake the entire raid or losing data?

Not sure - depends on the raid controller. In either case - you will need to have the array rebuilt to see it. Also, make sure you have x64 OS to see one big 3GB+ volume.
July 22, 2011 9:40:07 PM

Also - LFMF, If the RAID is going to be just for storage - have another HDD for the OS.

My old setup was 4x1TB Seagate ES.2's in raid 5. I had an x86 OS so i had to partition 100GB for the OS, 2TB for data, and extra 900GB for the rest. I'd much rather of had a 5th HDD with just the OS on it and kept the 4 es.2s as purely data storage. At least if something went bad with the OS, it was a simple reimage without the worry about all my data. But now, if i have a problem with the OS, i have to worry about backing up all my crap just to reimage.
a c 76 G Storage
July 22, 2011 10:09:39 PM

metawin said:
I think maybe your lost, this is a place people come to for answers.

I'm sure he didn't mean it that way. I think his reply was amusing more than anything else.
a c 76 G Storage
July 22, 2011 10:11:22 PM

metawin said:

Unless you use an expensive RAID controller with expansion capabilities, you'll probably have to bebuild the array.
July 22, 2011 11:31:31 PM

rozz said:
Also - LFMF, If the RAID is going to be just for storage - have another HDD for the OS.

My old setup was 4x1TB Seagate ES.2's in raid 5. I had an x86 OS so i had to partition 100GB for the OS, 2TB for data, and extra 900GB for the rest. I'd much rather of had a 5th HDD with just the OS on it and kept the 4 es.2s as purely data storage. At least if something went bad with the OS, it was a simple reimage without the worry about all my data. But now, if i have a problem with the OS, i have to worry about backing up all my crap just to reimage.

I posted my specs up top if that helps, and yes my OS (x64 Windows) and allot of my apps are on a 120GB Vertex 3.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a SSD. There is no comparason with any HDD, it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

I am using this setup so that I have a fast archive, it will be backed up to a 3TB HDD, hence the reason I want a 3TB RAID 5.

Thanks.
July 22, 2011 11:53:13 PM

GhislainG said:
Unless you use an expensive RAID controller with expansion capabilities, you'll probably have to bebuild the array.

I am using the on-board RAID controller on the Crosshair, so I guess I am outta luck, just did not want to spend that much at one time :( 

I guess I will just buy the 3TB drive first so I can back up everything when I have to remake the array, which will probably be twice.

Sound good?
a c 76 G Storage
July 23, 2011 12:32:25 AM

It does as you definitely want to backup your data.
July 24, 2011 6:07:33 AM

Best answer selected by metawin.
!