CPU heats up to 88 C dgrees within 15 mins!

sergeivlad

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I recently built a system, which includes:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156
Motherboard: BIOSTAR T5 XE LGA 1156 Intel P55
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Power supply: Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W
Graphics card: EVGA 260 GTX
2 SATA HDDs - 7200 RPM and 10000 RPM
1 SATA DVD drive

The system boots up fine. Windows Vista recognizes all the hardware correctly. After 15 minutes the system simply shuts down by itself, because the CPU's temp goes up to 88 C degrees. I am trying to understand why it happens? I HAVEN'T DONE ANY OVERCLOCKING TO ANY COMPONENTS.

One thing that I want to specifically mention, is when I unpacked the CPU from the box, there was no paste included in the package. I was a bit surprised, but this was the first CPU for 1156 socket that I purchased. So I assumed the paste is no longer needed. Have I made the wrong assumption? Should I go and buy some paste and give it a try with the paste?

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
You ABSOLUTELY need to get some thermal paste in there! Without thermal paste, your processor is barely going to transfer any heat to the heatsink. I would suggest not turning your PC on again until you get some paste and apply it or you will end up damaging your CPU.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
You ABSOLUTELY need to get some thermal paste in there! Without thermal paste, your processor is barely going to transfer any heat to the heatsink. I would suggest not turning your PC on again until you get some paste and apply it or you will end up damaging your CPU.

Solution

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Assuming you have a retail processor, the paste was pre-applied to the heatsink... it would have been a silver looking square in the center of it. If that was missing or you didn't get a retail processor (it would be in a blue Intel box), stop using your computer until you have some thermal paste. Even the stock Intel fan should be able to keep your processor cooler than that.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Actually the i5 does NOT have thermal paste pre-applied to the heat sink (I just bought one as well) however, mine did come with a small packet of white paste, which could easily have been forgotten, or fallen out of the OPs box.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Intel recommends a max temp of 62C. You want to avoid going over that at full load. Mine generally hits about 50-55C at full load (depending on the ambient temp) but I'm using Artic Silver paste and a Zigmatek S1283R rifle cooler rather than the stock stuff (though I've got it OCed to 3.6GHz as well).

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
It is perfectly stable, tested with running Prime95, and have been running it at this clock for about a month now. Core voltage is at 1.20V. This is definitely NOT the ceiling for the i5. I've had it running stable all the way up to 3.9, and got it almost stable at 4.0+ (a little tweaking and I know I could get it) but it was getting too hot for my comfort, so I backed it down without pushing it for stability of 4.

sergeivlad

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I am trying to look up the fan that you use: Zigmatek S1283R. Can't find any product matches. Could you post a direct link to where I can buy it? I feel like I want to do some overclocking now...

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Pro Llama- I didn't benchmark it with Turbo mode, but Turbo boost only does +1x (21x multi, so 2.8GHz) when using all 4 cores, and I think only takes a single core up to +5x (25x multi for 3.3ish GHz), so all 4 cores to 3.6 will give significantly more. Anyway, stock 2.66 GHz i5 with the rig in my signature ran a CPU score of 11930 in 3DMarkVantage. with the 3.6 GHz OC it ran CPU score of 16218 in 3dMarkVantage

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Actually, mine did. Here's a picture of mine I just took... http://img263.yfrog.com/i/i5750retailheatsink.jpg/

In fact I still have the original retail cooler in a blister pack and I'm looking at it now as I type this. It is 3 gray strips at an angle that nearly form a square. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Mine was purchased from NewEgg early October '09.

Here are the specs on the various Intel heatsinks...

http://www.intel.com/design/corei5/components/index.htm

Mine is the Intel® RCFH7-1156 Reference Heatsink made by Nidec.

sergeivlad

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
So I applied the paste and it seems to work fine. I downloaded and ran Prime95 and did a tourture test keeping and eye at the temp. After 2 minutes the temp was up to 66-67, at which point I stopped it. How long do you think I should run the tourture test to ensure the CPU totally safe?

AMW1011

Distinguished

It sounds like you did a poor application of thermal paste, no worries it takes practice. Follow this guide:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1