Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GT 300 / Fermi Expected launch late November

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 5, 2009 5:33:40 PM

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15812/1/

If all goes well that is...im starting to get excited now....cant wait to see how they compare!!

More about : 300 fermi expected launch late november

October 5, 2009 6:53:47 PM

I doubt it happens, but we need competition so I dont mind if Nvidia would launch like... yesterday :p  More realistically hard launch wont happen until next year. Only Nvidia fans and those who really dont need an upgrade wont buy 5xxx series till then, see sig ;) 
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 8:53:45 PM

I would love to see them launch in Nov... but then what would all the AMD fanboys do since they stated that Nvidia wont launch till march/april?

@ Harrison, just cause you aint seen squat don't mean that Nvdia wont drop a bomb....
Related resources
October 5, 2009 9:01:47 PM

Context of source

October 5, 2009 9:05:42 PM

yup, some real good FUD right there.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 9:05:56 PM

Harrisson said:
I doubt it happens, but we need competition so I dont mind if Nvidia would launch like... yesterday :p  More realistically hard launch wont happen until next year. Only Nvidia fans and those who really dont need an upgrade wont buy 5xxx series till then, see sig ;) 



where is real dx 11 games to play, why hurry and buy 5000 series now, maybe later we will have better options and price drops so better strategy is to wait and see what other side has to offer... There is a lot games in dx 9 now and it will be more like codmw 2, it will have dx 10 support but the engine is pretty same. Who want only the best right now he also has money for it. Nvidia now waiting to see Ati leader card 5870x2 and its performance with new drivers because for nvidia its very important that segment, then we will see that gt 300 card im sure...
October 5, 2009 9:26:56 PM

OvrClkr said:
I would love to see them launch in Nov... but then what would all the AMD fanboys do since they stated that Nvidia wont launch till march/april?

@ Harrison, just cause you aint seen squat don't mean that Nvdia wont drop a bomb....

Is Kyle from HardOCP AMD fanboy? How about Anandtech? They all claim we wont see Fermi this year (or at least any real quantities of it), and they are basing this on the facts we know, along with the inside sources. On the other hand... on what based your opinion, outside fanboysim, of course? ;) 

We dont know what Nvidia will drop, at least what concerns games. As much as I respect HPC side, I wont need nor care about it. This only makes GPUs more expensive... Plus rumors about advanced DX11 features partially emulated in software (like tessalation) doesnt strike me with the confidence either. I hope its not true, but with the way Nvidia downplays DX11 and the respectable sources of rumors, I'm not happy with it, we dont need another round of Nvidia stalling advancement.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 9:55:33 PM

All im saying is that it would be nice to see the 3xx series drop ASAP, this way NV will be able to clear any fallacies made up by AMDidiots =) saying that this time around they were able to shut-out NV... Thats all =)
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 10:17:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I'd expect NVidia to have a 'launch' this side of the new year. What I'd really like to see is when the cards come out in quantity, which that source doesn't even speculate on (as it admits the cards are still being worked on, so even NVidia doesn't know for sure. They can only try their best and hope).
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 10:37:45 PM

Forget it. Anyone who believes this card will be launched this year is just plain deluded.

Maybe Nvidia should try to get a midrange 40nm card out first? Hell even a shrink of one of their current cards? If you actually believe that this 'fermi' will make an appearance before the end of the year, it just shows how little understanding you have of situation.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2009 11:25:26 PM

There is no way in hell this card drops by November. This is one of those typical Fuad=FUD posts that has no basis in reality.

December is even highly unlikely as Nvidia is telling OEM's to not expect parts for the holidays. Count on January from everything I am hearing, possibly a CES launch.
October 6, 2009 1:40:59 AM

Jaysin said:
There is no way in hell this card drops by November. This is one of those typical Fuad=FUD posts that has no basis in reality.

December is even highly unlikely as Nvidia is telling OEM's to not expect parts for the holidays. Count on January from everything I am hearing, possibly a CES launch.



Give evidence or it never happened.

Wheres the basis in your argument?

Theres more evidence pointing to a release this year than what your sayin???

October 6, 2009 2:27:04 AM

as far as i see it NV will Pwn Ati in performace and Ati will Pwn NV in price isnt this the way of life as we know it. So why even argue about this new card gt300 or what ever the call it if you want performance go NV if your cheap and dont need power for 30inch monitor go ati and stfu :o 
October 6, 2009 2:42:29 AM

^^ ATI can power 3 30" monitors the g300 can power 0 monitors, i know what one i would go for
October 6, 2009 3:39:16 AM

My invisible friend said it will launch next week. He has insider information, so you'd better not buy ATI cards right now. He said they will outperform most supercomputers, and even make coffee for you when you boot the computer in the morning.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:42:49 AM

And don't forget world peace too.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 4:30:07 AM





This information has as much credibility as the R900 by Q3 2010 rumours. :sarcastic: 


The only nV chips to come out before 2010 are going straight to the reviewers so they can do another GTX295 paper launch.
October 6, 2009 4:38:04 AM

not saying fermi wont beat ati but just saying u nv fanbois wait til next year :D 
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 4:54:02 AM

awesome...soon the time will come for 5x00 to duke it out with GT300s
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:18:37 AM

I'll combine my two posts from the other thread:

Quote:
If all goes well Nvidia's CEO first said that Fermi, GT300 product will launch on Tuesday and didn't want comment whether it can launch in 2009 or 2010.

I really don't understand that. If it's launching on Tuesday then it's launching in 2009... Although "launch" doesn't mean "hit the shelves."

In a previous Fuddo article they said it was "expected" to launch. So is it or is it not going to launch? Expectation is not definite. "Launch" can mean many things. Intel "launched" Penryn on paper. A launch could be 20 cards sent out to reviewers.

I hope the whole fake Fermi fiasco and rumours about low yields are a giant coverup for the biggest hard launch in years, but I don't exactly expect it. :p 
October 6, 2009 11:36:16 AM

rangers said:
^^ ATI can power 3 30" monitors the g300 can power 0 monitors, i know what one i would go for

Yeah why dont you show the benchmarks for that not to mention you have to use a display port fo the 3rd monitor or it will not work.
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 12:10:55 PM

chef7734 said:
Yeah why dont you show the benchmarks for that not to mention you have to use a display port fo the 3rd monitor or it will not work.


So? Still better than nVid's.

If, IFIFIFIFIF, they get out a card this year, ATI will still be leading. There's no way the card can beat the price/performance from ATI.
October 6, 2009 12:21:12 PM

shadow187 said:
So? Still better than nVid's.

If, IFIFIFIFIF, they get out a card this year, ATI will still be leading. There's no way the card can beat the price/performance from ATI.

We dont know what nvidia has in store, we dont know when the cards will be released. We do not know what the cards will be priced at. Some of us could care less about price per performance all we care about is top speed and yes as of right now ati has the best. If they have the best when nvidia cards are released I will purchase 3 of them. I like the idea of eyefinity and hope ati has a way around the display port soon.

Saying ATI will still be leading is a pretty big assumption that has only happened with the 9700 pro. Cards are rarly released at the same time and history shows that Nidia has always trumped what ati had sans the 9700/9800 pro as the fx 5800 ultra was a flop. Maybe history will change and ati will be back on top for a short time, maybe they will be on top longer. Maybe nvidia will quit concerning itself with gaming and focus on supercomputers and calculations. Who knows until the cards are release. I am hoping it is soon so I can get new gpu's for my main system whichever is on top as I could care less about brands just performance.
October 6, 2009 12:28:06 PM

chef7734 said:
Yeah why dont you show the benchmarks for that not to mention you have to use a display port fo the 3rd monitor or it will not work.


Is using display port an issue for you? Do you not know that adaptors for displayport to DVI can be obtained?


Or is it all too complicated for you to wrap your head around?!?!



Using the 3rd monitor/displayport "issue" as a stick to beat ATi with is pathetic.



As regards the benchmarks, the ATis all show positive numbers. JHH's Fermi board doesn't even POST.
October 6, 2009 12:32:02 PM

Amiga500 said:
Is using display port an issue for you? Do you not know that adaptors for displayport to DVI can be obtained?


Or is it all too complicated for you to wrap your head around?!?!



Using the 3rd monitor/displayport "issue" as a stick to beat ATi with is pathetic.



As regards the benchmarks, the ATis all show positive numbers. JHH's Fermi board doesn't even POST.


As of right now ati does not support any adaptor officially and many out there have been causing problems. Trying to insult me does nothing for you as I just pointed out a fact from a fanboy that always throuws half ased information to support his cause. Never did I attack Ati. I have seen all the benchmarks out there and can not find any with 30" monitors in eyefinity. I find some 24" and they all say the same thing. Not all games are supported, the ones that are you can not run at max settings playable IE have to lower settings. I am sure once crossfire in enabled with eyefinity it will fix these issues.
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 2:01:17 PM

Quote:
It's also worth noting that Nvidia doesn't have a competing option against eyefinity.

However should Nvidia choose to produce a six output card based on the Fermi chip then the Eyefinity software will work perfectly on it, AMD/ATi being the caring sharing corp that they are. A safe assumption?
October 6, 2009 2:25:02 PM

Quote:

If you want to find eyefinity benchmarks, try using google. They're out there.

And none use 3 30" displays.
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 2:55:58 PM

Quote:
And if I were the king of France I'd give everyone cupcakes.

Bottom line, the option doesn't exist nor has a hint that anyone is working on it, or is even being pondered by Nvidia. There's not even a rumor of a rumor. So no, there's no safe assumption in any of that. As far as reality is concerned; ATI is the only option, and will continue to be the only option, for multi-display gaming.

Eyefinity currently only works on the 5000s. You can't make it work with the 4000s in ATI's own line. So to assume the software ports to any card is wrong.

It's a hypothetical question, If nv were to produce such a card, IF they did, would ATi's software work on it?
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:20:18 PM

Which then begs the question why should Nv share Physx when ATi won't share Eyefinity (If there was a new card that could use it of course), this is not directed at you by the way I'm just throwing it out there, just because it's their own little baby if it enhances the gaming experience then surely they should give it to their competitors just as they have to make sure that any future games developed with Eyefinity in mind have to look just as good on whatever Nv's equivalent may be.
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:29:16 PM

Quote:
See, I knew you were going down the stupid road or trolling one.

Eyefinity is not like physx, absolutely no comparison. It has nothing to do with games directly. Indeed, no special support is needed for eyefinity in games, only multiple aspect ratio support which has nothing to do with ATI, nvidia or anyone else.

It is just a driver enhancement for functionality reasons whilst physx is a physics middleware that is vendor locked.

Lets steer away from the stupid road please. Like for like comparisons only would help.

It was a hypothetical question, I was not comparing the two techs I was asking whether ATi would allow their software to work on a competitors card.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:37:44 PM

Eyefinity isn't something that can be patented, it's just gaming on 3 screens. There was an interesting argument from Red Hat, who claim all software is just maths and therefore should be patent free. They are actually in court with that right now trying to get some judge to buy it.

We're heading down that road anyway, perhaps not for a few years yet but eventually it will get there.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:40:38 PM

Well the reason is easy, its not the first time that we see gaming on 3 screens, this was done years ago, the only difference is that with the 5XXX series you do not need an adapter....
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 3:57:58 PM

jennyh said:
Eyefinity isn't something that can be patented, it's just gaming on 3 screens. There was an interesting argument from Red Hat, who claim all software is just maths and therefore should be patent free. They are actually in court with that right now trying to get some judge to buy it.

We're heading down that road anyway, perhaps not for a few years yet but eventually it will get there.

It's the screen management software that is part of the driver package that my question concerns, my hypothetical question remember as Nv have given no indication that they have any intention of making a six port card, but if they did and hardware wise it was capable of using the ATi software would ATi let them?
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:29:23 PM

Quote:
Still no, for the reasons I listed before. The eyefinity software doesn't communicate with any cards other than the ATI 5000s. If you know any Nvidia cards that work using Catalyst drivers, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I give up, no there are no Nvidia cards that use ATi software and I never alluded that there were just as I know that there are no ATi cards that use Nv software.
October 6, 2009 5:44:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's the screen management software that is part of the driver package that my question concerns, my hypothetical question remember as Nv have given no indication that they have any intention of making a six port card, but if they did and hardware wise it was capable of using the ATi software would ATi let them?

As others said, its apples to tomatoes comparison. Eyefinity is drivers enhanced multi-monitor support, all game devs have to do - add more resolutions, thats it. If/when Nvidia will want to support those resolutions, it can use it just as well. Physics is entirely different thing, and should be industry standard, accessible to any game studio and any manufacturer. If PhysX wont become open - it will be dead end tech, and will be replaced by whatever OpenCL/DC physics standard.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 1:41:06 AM

What I want to know is why the excuses and redirection to Eyefinity?

Just like all other Fermi/F100/G300/GT300, people don't understand the basics of what is being said, and therefore buy into the BS.

So the 'news' is far from it and as empty and the demo card JHH held aloft.

As for Eyfinity, it's not the same thing, nV can do it similarly and the game support built into games can work on both, nV just needs to put the hardware and drivers into their solution to support it, it has less to do with ATi's relationships than nV's own actions, this is not the same as Batman, anyone bringing that up doesn't understand either.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 1:52:24 AM

TripleHead2Go FTW.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 2:12:11 AM

Exactly, and how do you make TH2Go work?

No excuse there for nV, either they get the hardware in the NVIO or they, don't, but at the very least it starts with a new NVIO requirement, and the NVIO is almost a guarantee if they're focusing on TESLA boards instead of graphics, and then the controllers.

So if they don't offer it in hardware, then it's either a $100 add-on for TH2Go (with lower res support) or else an HD5K series card.
October 7, 2009 2:47:03 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
What I want to know is why the excuses and redirection to Eyefinity?

Just like all other Fermi/F100/G300/GT300, people don't understand the basics of what is being said, and therefore buy into the BS.

So the 'news' is far from it and as empty and the demo card JHH held aloft.

As for Eyfinity, it's not the same thing, nV can do it similarly and the game support built into games can work on both, nV just needs to put the hardware and drivers into their solution to support it, it has less to do with ATi's relationships than nV's own actions, this is not the same as Batman, anyone bringing that up doesn't understand either.


There never was any excuse or redirection. A fanboy made a huge statement and needed to be shown what is going on. you had the same thing with all the ati fanboys on the forum before the card every came out or specs were released. Everyone went crazy over a picture and when someone said anything against it they were accused of being a fanboy no matter what was said and not the same thing is going on except the people posting the pictures are being accused as being a fanboy and all of a sudden it is not ok because it is not someone posting about ati. This holier than thou attitude with the ati fanboys needs to stop and people need to see the whole picture and stop the double standard and be objective. As I have stated before I could care less who is on top as long as everyone is open to the facts. Thats why I run core i7 so I can run either crossfire or sli.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 3:13:59 AM

Yeah, we really need the facts to come out on the GTX 380 or whatever it will be called. Maybe it will calm down then, or at least until the first refresh (and that is probably optimistic).
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 3:38:24 AM

chef7734 said:
This holier than thou attitude with the ati fanboys needs to stop and people need to see the whole picture and stop the double standard and bee subjective.


Actually that's the problem, people ARE being subjective, when they should be OBJECTIVE. I realize you meant Objective, but that's not likely in this unbalanced fact vs hope situation. And the discussion of anything other than the believability of a November 'launch' in this thread seems irrelevant, but it seems that both G300/F100 threads have gone from the possibility of this chip seeing anything more than a review bench by Novemeber to discussion of some other features (Eyefinity and Batman AA).

It's also funny how there's more 'positive' posts about the spin on the F100/G300 fiasco rather than the actual launch of the HD5850, but yes let's be 'subjective', because it's pretty damn hard to be objective about something that only exists sofar in a few PDFs and Powerpoint slides and a mock-up, versus cards people actually have in their hands.

I've seen others have taken the role of devil's advocate to offer balance, but I have no such allusions, and strictly say, give me the damn engineering card, warts and all, or else stop feedind FUAD FUD, because I knew what the F100 looked like before the event (thanks to strategic leaks) and I didn't need either the fake board or the fake launch BS and 'fake' dates.

Quote:
As I have stated before I could care less who is on top as long as everyone is open to the facts.


I agree, but give me the Facts, not the FUD that we've had sofar, and I definitely don't need discussions of unrelated issues as a defense of that FUD. :heink: 

All I need now is someone to tell me when it arrives (or else confirm how textures and other graphics questions will be handled) until then, it's as useful as having a Haynes book about a car model instead of actually having that vehicle to get me to work. :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2009 3:43:25 AM

I know what its like to be on the waiting end, and its not fun.
If G300 is as successful as nVidia hopes, itll be a decent card, but it still has to come in a decent price, with a few lil brothers that also perform well too, and again, priced right.
October 7, 2009 3:47:01 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Actually that's the problem, people ARE being subjective, when they should be OBJECTIVE. I realize you meant Objective, but that's not likely in this unbalanced fact vs hope situation. And the discussion of anything other than the believability of a November 'launch' in this thread seems irrelevant, but it seems that both G300/F100 threads have gone from the possibility of this chip seeing anything more than a review bench by Novemeber to discussion of some other features (Eyefinity and Batman AA).

It's also funny how there's more 'positive' posts about the spin on the F100/G300 fiasco rather than the actual launch of the HD5850, but yes let's be 'subjective', because it's pretty damn hard to be objective about something that only exists sofar in a few PDFs and Powerpoint slides and a mock-up, versus cards people actually have in their hands.

I've seen others have taken the role of devil's advocate to offer balance, but I have no such allusions, and strictly say, give me the damn engineering card, warts and all, or else stop feedind FUAD FUD, because I knew what the F100 looked like before the event (thanks to strategic leaks) and I didn't need either the fake board or the fake launch BS and 'fake' dates.

Quote:
As I have stated before I could care less who is on top as long as everyone is open to the facts.


I agree, but give me the Facts, not the FUD that we've had sofar, and I definitely don't need discussions of unrelated issues as a defense of that FUD. :heink: 

All I need now is someone to tell me when it arrives (or else confirm how textures and other graphics questions will be handled) until then, it's as useful as having a Haynes book about a car model instead of actually having that vehicle to get me to work. :pfff: 

Thanks mate. That is what happens when you are really tired and reply. I knew it did not quite look right as I typed it. I agree. I would love some facts on the matter just as I stated when they posted a pic and had no clue about the ati release. I would love a nov launch for this card as it will allow me to upgrade sooner. If it takes more than say 4 months then I will go ahead and buy the top card at that time. I guess I could always get a card now and if nvidia beats it sell the card to an ati fanboy. lol. problem is I usually dont buy just one it is usually in a triplet when buying vid cards. ATI has the fastest card right now but I would still like to see what nvidia has up its sleeves before I purchase one or the other.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:47:07 PM

Harrisson said:
I doubt it happens, but we need competition so I dont mind if Nvidia would launch like... yesterday :p  More realistically hard launch wont happen until next year. Only Nvidia fans and those who really dont need an upgrade wont buy 5xxx series till then, see sig ;) 

only an idiot will buy a 5870 now, knowing that it will drop at least half of its price when gt300 comes out, that's ati's strategy
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 8:55:28 PM

wiinippongamer said:
only an idiot will buy a 5870 now, knowing that it will drop at least half of its price when gt300 comes out, that's ati's strategy


Negative Sir, the 5870 will not drop its price in half like you stated.... The 5870 is considered a bargain right now since it has more or less the same performance as a GTX 295 but yet it uses less power, runs cooler and is DX11 ready.... non the less the 100.00$+ you save compared to the 295......

I don't know where you got that info but it is obviosly wrong. And no that is not ATI's strategy, they would be losing a TON of money if they sold the 5870 for 180.00/190.00$$$ :pfff: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:01:43 PM

wiinippongamer said:
only an idiot will buy a 5870 now, knowing that it will drop at least half of its price when gt300 comes out, that's ati's strategy


that i was talking about all the time...maybe their money grow on trees who knows...same thing with gtx 260, when it was released it was about 450 and in a few months price was drop significiantly
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:04:19 PM

OvrClkr said:
Negative Sir, the 5870 will not drop its price in half like you stated.... The 5870 is considered a bargain right now since it has more or less the same performance as a GTX 295 but yet it uses less power, runs cooler and is DX11 ready.... non the less the 100.00$+ you save compared to the 295......

I don't know where you got that info but it is obviosly wrong. And no that is not ATI's strategy, they would be losing a TON of money if they sold the 5870 for 180.00/190.00$$$ :pfff: 


if nvidia release faster card than they will need to drop price because its their strategy so dont be so sure in that.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:11:37 PM

Yea but not by half, look at the 4870x2.... Nvdia came out with the GTX 295 and ATI only lowered the price by 100/150.00$....

The 5870 will cost 180.00$ maybe in 2 years, but not when Nvdia launches the 3xx series.....
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 9:18:49 PM

of course not a half but 80-100 $ will be more than enough for begining, and that will be a pressure for nvidia to drop price for gt 300 and thats good for us consumers...raw performance for few bucks...
!