Has anyone experienced degradation Sandy Bridge?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has experienced any degradation on sandybridge cpus? If so, how long, what voltage and temps?

I have been running 2500k @4.5GHz, 1.304 -1.312 max load prime and 1.352 highest Vcore in BF3 and other less intensive applications.
This is higher than I could be but I need slightly higher Vcore to stop idle BSOD with c3/c6 enabled.

The lowest Vcore i could achieve stable when I first got my CPU was 1.280V. Now it needs 1.288V load in prime after 3 months. Using IBT and prime and various gaming has added up to about 100hours total.
Maybe this is just the CPU burning in a bit and settling.

However I have been noticing some weird behaviour. Using offset voltages in certain games, BF3 sometimes gets a lower Vcore than prime, going as low as 1.252V when prime is 1.304V. Could this be the chip speedstepping between 16x and 45x and causing the lower VCore and CPUZ is not updating fast enough?
Skyrim for example runs primarily at 16x multiplier, maybe it is not demanding enough.

When i use manual voltage now, i will BSOD even @1.35V and that is after Vdroop. I am not sure why this is.

Anyone else experience behaviour like this, or noticed their chip degrade slightly so far?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I forgot to say that my temperatures were originally on the high side. Circa 60c/70c/80c in gaming/prime/IBT respectively over that 100hour period.

I have now changed cooling method and am now circa 50/60/65