CL9D-4GBNQ BSOD and memtest86+ errors

stever_16

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hi,
Purchased a set of 4GB 1600 ram, however when install both DIMMS I
am getting BSODs such as"Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged Area",
"IRQL_not_less_than_equal_to", "Bad Pool Headers" along with others. I also got a
couple of thousands of errors in memtest86+ V4.0.

These problems go away when I run only 1 DIMM.

I have tried NB and HT running at 1.5V and 1.4V respectively (as high as my
mainboard would allow me to adjust these voltages). DRAM is running
at 1.5V and also trid it at 1.525V and still getting errors in
Memtest86+ and BSODs in Windows.

This happen regardless of which DIMMS the RAM is installed in and with either of the 2 modules or both together.

Strangely, when I remove and replace the same module into the same DIMM the errors disappear for a day or so. ie I literally power off, remove RAM and replace exactly as it just was and power on and all works fine for a while.

Seems similar to
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268289-30-possible-blue-screen-errors
but that thread has no conclusion...

Mainboard: GA-790XTA-UD4 with F2 flash
RAM: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
CPU: Phenom II 965 BE

Any ideas - time to RMA?

Thanks for your help.

SR

stever_16

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Still haven't figured out this problem if anybody has any ideas it would be appreciated.

If I unplug form the mains power or remove the dimm, the errors disappear.

slimgarfield

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I also have this exact same issue with a similar setup. I can also verify that taking the RAM out and replacing does seem to help oddly enough.

If I remove either stick the other will run flawlessly, passing memtest for 8+ hours each. However when in dual channel the system often doesn't boot or make it to the bios. I have never overclocked it (although I want to when this is resolved), and manually setting the default timings doesn't seem to help. On one stick, no overheating seems to occur.

I have read about the AM2+ memory controller problem (found here http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2977 ), but as far as I understand it, 2 DIMMs is supposed to be the only configuration that actually works. Some people report that it carried over to AM3 CPUs as well, so I tried changing the frequency to 1066 and even 800 along with upping the voltage to ~1.7v and upping the north bridge voltage, but nothing seemed to help.

I would RMA these sticks, but since they each pass memtest separately I'm not quite sure that is the problem. Any thoughts?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1GB
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

slimgarfield

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I recently RMA'd but the new ram is doing the exact same thing again. Is it just the specific ram in general or could this be another component? I don't really know how to test anything other than the ram, and don't know anyone with a DDR3 machine to test it that way.

It is unlikely that you got two bad RAM packs, maybe it is your motherboard. Have you tried the other two RAM slots? If not, try them, booting to memtest86+ for testing the RAM. If you have tried them and it still doesn't work, then I suggest RMAing the motherboard.

stever_16

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Final solution was I RMAd the sticks and the problem has gone away... so looks like a bad set of RAM.

Either that or the temperature has dropped enough due to winter :)

Umart did a swap over on the spot, were originally going to send the sticks away for retesting, but I got my way after asking a few times (Umart = great service).

Thanks for everybodies help.