core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
i cannot seem to find the best silent cpu socket 1156 cooler for corei5 and an excellent energy effient powerful Mobo.any suggestions?

i have the Asus P7P55D LE, P7P55D Deluxe, P7P55D Premium in mind.what are your inputs and best advice as to which Mobo would go best? although the last one suggested the P7P55D Premium is way too overpriced (more expensive than the i5 cpu itself!) i am more than willing to pay as long as it meets my needs,and one that may last me for few years to come.i live in the UK by the way.

also looking for a good quality built SILENT case with SILENT fans as i like to operate my pc under these conditions.don't need anything like those with too many lights as it would distract me.i want one that would cool off my components really well but use less energy,near silent etc.

shall i use my old soundblaster live platinum 5.1 soundcard or the newest Mobo's sound will do?which one's the better deal?.i use my one because it has an external mixer where i could put my headphones and tuns off sound automatically on the pc speakers which i like this feature.but im sure any latest pc case would have this feature already.

last of all,i am considering to buy the "Corsair Dominator DHX 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit"to go with this system.any final advice on this as to which memory would suit best for this cpu and run it cool? many thanks. greatly appreciate your valued time. :bounce:

Corsair Dominator seems overpriced on newegg, but you dont have a link so I dont know what price you would be paying. Gskill Ripjaws series is generally a good value, you should check them out. 2GB is a bit small, you really want 4GB RAM and a 64bit OS (win7) on a nice system like this. The i5 and i7 use low voltage (1.5-1.65v) ram so be sure not to get 1.7-1.9v ram.

Those 3 asus motherboards are basically the same with more features added. You will have to look at the features and judge if they are worth the price increases. All motherboards are going to pretty much use the same power. The CPU and GPU and overclocking are the things that have the most significant power impact.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

^+1 good to point out that.
also again post in a better format..overclock..etc
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Thanks for all your inputs.i will use windows xp pro 32bit.and im in favour of keeping the OS as it is, for now at least.because it makes life a bit easier.

MOBO:which one,from the Asus list i provided, would you guys go for generally if u had the funds? although i will make my own judgment,sometimes not all the information is clear.all i want are the features that keep my cpu,gpu and other components cool,stable,feeds enough power at the same time saving on energy.and how exactly a computer is overclocked?usually when you are gaming for hours? is 11-12 hours considered "overclocking" if i mainly multitask for things like msn,yahoo,online gaming,and youtube for videos?if this is considered as overclocking,then i want the best board which will keep my components cool and consume the least power out of these 3 boards i suggested.remembering money isnt a limiting obstacle for my part.

"G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit" what you guys think on this ram? will it overtake corsair range? here is the link for the specs.although im not reallly concerned about the price.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/MemoryRAM/DDR3-PC3-12800/1600MHz/G.Skill/F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL.html

it's a UK based company and i've been shopping with them for years.one last thing about the memory.since i will use 32bit OS windows xp pro,i guess it cannot take advange of this ram and bios may show only 3.2 gig or something like that.is that true.

finally,the cpu cooler.doesn't state the rpm spin rate.like i said i would like my computer to run silently.are there any other options?i want the best one possible out there and one running cool effectively and most silent.money isnt a problem.but i need to find one based in the UK.

core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
here i am again forgot to mention one last thing.about the cpu cooler,best if i could get one also that i could manually (perhaps with a controller or some sort) change the rpm settings like say from 1000rpm to 24000rpm.from totally/near silent to performance etc..

core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
nope couldn't find a suitable socket 1156 cpu cooler from the above websites.but thanks for the links.i guess im on my own to find the right cpu cooler.as well as the silent well built case.

core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
ok thank you.

just came into mind,would it be wise to use the arctic silver thermal paste than others, when i build the corei5 system? as i am using that now on my current cpu AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual core 2.4ghz.although i may never know or notice,it's supposed to be the highest thermal paste which reduces heat and lowers your computer's temp.

niloklives

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Windows XP won't support large amounts of RAM. if you're planning on going with more than 4gb(including what's on the video card) you NEED vista/7 64. there is absolutely no choice in this.

core4less

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
i will buy a corsair 1600mhz 4gig ram.and my current nvidia quadro fx 3450 has 256.add that too and i get max what below 4 gigs?

as long as xp pro 32bit recognizes my 4 gig and my graphics 256mb ram, then this is all i need for now.but say if below 4 gigs,i could live with that.however it needs to recognize all the vga ram so thats more important for me.going for a vista/7 64 costs alot and would complicate things more with my other softwares because of incompatibiilty issues and i can't afford to fix all this.long story short basically.