HSM Data drive is missing

SilvaCala

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hi, I have a missing drive in windows 7. It is a primary drive (as shown in Disk Management). The drive shows in Disk MAnagement, but only as a space of memory, without any letters. When I try to assign a letter to the drive, the console wont allow me. I get a message saying that Disk MAnagement console is not uo-to-date. Have to say that this partition shows as primary, its in the only hard disk of my laptop, together with the C partition. All this happened suddenly, after I installed Norton PArtition Manager, because I wanted to increase the size of C partition. But I didnt do any operations, the HSM Data partition disappeared. I tried system restore, system repair, EASEUS PArtition Master to assign a letter to the drive (this program shows my drive), but it wont work in trial mode. Please can anyone help? I am dealing with this for about 3 hours but couldn't do anything?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Could you please post an image of your Disk Management, showing both the upper Volume List and lower Graphical Area. That way we can see exactly what you are describing and if there is a problem.

SilvaCala

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hi John, thank you very much for your response. Here is a print screen. As you can see, the partition is not listed anymore, its just listed in the graphical view.
dskmgmt.jpg

SilvaCala

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
No, unfortunately the option Extend Volume is inactive. Even if it was, for now my intention is to make drive D reappear in explorer. Even using EASEUS PArtition MAster is not doing anything, I tried to hide and then unhide the partition, but I get error messages, the system does not get updated. It's driving me crazy,it's been two days now that I'm trying everything possible, everything that I found googling.

One approach that works some of the time is to download one of the many packages for recovering from corruption. These scan the space sector-by-sector and try to rebuild the files in the absence of partition and directory information.

You can search these forums for "drive recovery" or similar terms and find many different packages that will do this for you.

Edit: Here are two suggestions already: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270765-32-find-files-system-recovery-failed

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Your picture is worth a thousand words! Makes what you are describing understandable.
Please do that one more time, but right click on the 297GB Primary partition and show what the choices in the context menu are.
Right now there is a Primary Partition, but probably not a useable file system.

Important questions: 1. Do you have a removable drive you could copy your Partition C: to for safety?
2. Does you "D" drive have important data in it, that is not backed up somewhere else?

SilvaCala

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
HI. I dont know what finally happened. I made a windows memory diagnosis, via windows startup repair. It showed no problems, but I don't know why, then I was permitted to turn the partition into logical, and so I was allowed to hide and then unhide the partition. Finally, my D drive was still there. I had all my data in that drive, important work files that I couldn't permit losing. Thank u all for your kind responses.
Bye.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Glad it all worked out. When it finally works, but you don't know why. call it 'magic'!