Sign in with
Your question

Device shows wifi Atheros, but no-show connection (though working on other pcs/p

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 10, 2010 4:13:12 AM

I upgraded memory from 2gb to 4gb on my 3yr old Acer Aspire to upgrade Vista Prem to Windows 7. Device Manager shows the Atheros AR5005G wireless nw adapter as working. But fails to show the otherwise working wireless connection. Stuck with NO internet access.
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 7:38:50 AM

Have you updated the driver -- either from Acer or Atheros ?
m
l
February 10, 2010 10:30:16 AM

how can u update a driver without internet access??? I sure am not able to.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 11:10:35 AM

How could he make the post without internet access ???

Why do you feel it necessary to flame someone who is just trying to help ?
m
l
February 10, 2010 11:16:19 AM

Chill out... I have no idea how to update without internet access so I thought I could learn something new....
geeze.....
in fact, on my netbook which I can't access internet on, I don't know how to update the driver, so I thought I was going to get a revelation.
m
l
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 11:21:24 AM

Well, if you don't have internet access, how are you posting ?

Presumably mobile phone and, maybe, he was too.

If you have a question, make your own post. The idea of answering is to advance the solution of the problem.
m
l
February 21, 2010 8:29:57 PM

nac said:
how can u update a driver without internet access??? I sure am not able to.

You are right; no internet on my Acer. I used another laptop: Asus to participate in Tom's Hardware forum.
m
l
February 21, 2010 9:18:07 PM

:sweat:  :pt1cable:  :wahoo: 
Quote:
How could he make the post without internet access ???

Why do you feel it necessary to flame someone who is just trying to help ?

Appreciate your helping nature; however, just to clarify, with no internet on my Acer, I used another laptop: Asus to participate in Tom's Hardware forum.

When I tried acquiring driver update from Atheros site, it rebuffed saying something like: "You already have uptodate driver." Probably it checked validity of the driver on the recently bought ASUS.

Further, I already had multiboot (Vista and XP Pro with third partition for data) on the Acer. I have not changed XP Pro that I have been using in one partition. When I check on Devices and Properties, everything about the Atheros AR5005G network adapter and driver show existing ok.

Does my action in upgrading the memory to 4GB have to do anything with inavailabity of wifi?
m
l
Anonymous
February 22, 2010 4:03:09 AM

"Does my action in upgrading the memory to 4GB have to do anything with inavailabity of wifi?"

You could check by returning it to the original memory size ? If that works it suggests that there is a resource clash which might be fixed by changing IRQ settings on the wireless device.

More likely it's a setting that can be fixed within your router or the wireless adapter. Access the router setup screens via an ethernet cable and check that wireless is on, SSID is still being broadcast, that Access List is disabled and that wireless mode is set to N, B&G or mixed (as appropriate to your wireless adapter).

Temporarily turn off wireless security and try to connect by wireless to see if security is the issue.
m
l
March 2, 2010 3:03:22 AM

Reverting to original memory size did not make the difference, we expected.

All along I was upset because of the lack of wireless. Now I have noticed that many hardware gadgets are not working. The speakers, multimedia input slot, none of them show up although the device manager shows them 'green' and working ok; driver also shows ok! I am at my wit's end! So help me e-God!
m
l
Anonymous
March 2, 2010 7:54:13 AM

I think if I was in the situation you now describe I would reconsider whether Win 7 was a good idea and revert to Vista if you can.

Most people are happier with 7 than with Vista but my own feeling is that there is little point in upgrading the OS on existing computers -- especially when the OS is as new as 7 -- because there is such a turnover of product that manufacturers just don't bother to update drivers for old hardware.

m
l
March 5, 2010 8:16:31 PM

I have a 2 year old ASUS notebook which I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista. I had the same problem with my installed Atheros L1 gigabit network card but it is now resolved. Here is what I did:

I downloaded from the Intel website the following driver Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/) - it is free.

I disabled and then uninstalled [/u ]the Atheros L1 gigabit adaptor that was installed on the computert using the Uninstall Program facility in Control Panel.

Then I installed the downloaded Intel driver and it worked like a charm.

Above all, I avoid Windows updates, critical or otherwise, like the plague. Instead of using Internet Explorer, I now use Mozilla Firefox which doesn't have the same security issues as IE. I have also uninstalled all updates since the notebook was upgraded to Windows 7 as it appears that some updates have the capacity to remove the Intel driver and reinstate the Atheros one so that the whole procedure has to be done again.

I know your computer is different from mine, but the principle may be the same. Good luck with it and enjoy Windows 7 which is in my opinion a far superior product to Vista.

m
l
March 15, 2010 3:50:43 AM

It is good that you were able to identify my problem with your similar experience. I am still trying to figure out how to get the driver for Atheros, because it is still a catch-22 situation. I need internet to match and download the appropriate driver.
Thanks anyway because now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
m
l
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 8:07:16 AM

If you are in doubt as to which wireless adapter you have you can identify the model in Device Manager.

If there's a problem on the Acer site because it identifies your hardware automatically, look for a manual means of downloading from there.

0r e-mail Acer support and ask them to reply attaching the appropriate driver for your computer's wireless adapter.
m
l
!