Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help deciding for the best heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 14, 2011 7:57:48 PM

sup guys, i have a phenom ii x6 which i would like to overclock to 4ghz and a haf 922 case with a side 200mm fan. After doing some research i reduced my option to this 4 cpu coolers, but i need to know which one will u recommend for my build. I'm also interested in which one is easier to install, my case has a hole in the back to change heat sinks without removing the mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


this is my ram, which i believe is not tall http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


any help will be appreciated ( my current temps are the following according to speedfan: IDLE 30-35c, and load max temp was 49c with prime 95)

More about : deciding heatsink

Best solution

December 14, 2011 8:21:49 PM

CM 212 EVO or even the CM 212+ will work. Just add a 2nd fan if you want better temps.

A solid product is the NZXT havik 140 for $60 too but CM 212+ will do the job just fine.

keep in mind that AMD CPU temps are always..yes always wrong within windows. Their sensors are off. No software will read them correctly. So don't get too happy to see 60C...its really a lot more.
Share
December 14, 2011 8:37:51 PM

dharmenparikh said:
CM 212 EVO or even the CM 212+ will work. Just add a 2nd fan if you want better temps.

A solid product is the NZXT havik 140 for $60 too but CM 212+ will do the job just fine.

keep in mind that AMD CPU temps are always..yes always wrong within windows. Their sensors are off. No software will read them correctly. So don't get too happy to see 60C...its really a lot more.


good for me that you recommend the cheaper one haha
m
0
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 4:15:17 AM

Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 4:27:50 AM

im going to be blunt and get straight to the point. you want the best air cooler? if so scratch every single heatsink mentioned in this thread cause the best one hasnt been mentioned yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
single handily the best heatsink. if anyone wants to dispute that they are plain wrong. there might be something that is close or comparable but thats the best.
m
0
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 4:46:17 AM

cbrunnem said:
im going to be blunt and get straight to the point. you want the best air cooler? if so scratch every single heatsink mentioned in this thread cause the best one hasnt been mentioned yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
single handily the best heatsink. if anyone wants to dispute that they are plain wrong. there might be something that is close or comparable but thats the best.

I'll wager 3 or 4 of these are as good and quieter.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2011 5:04:43 AM

davcon said:
I'll wager 3 or 4 of these are as good and quieter.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...
not to noisy.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

and to be honest i never hear any on my fans and i have 7 fans always running at max speed. i mean who has the volume down low enough to hear them and a lot use headphones. i never bought into noisy being a big deal. some people it could be a big deal i guess but longevity means more.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 10:19:56 PM

cbrunnem said:
im going to be blunt and get straight to the point. you want the best air cooler? if so scratch every single heatsink mentioned in this thread cause the best one hasnt been mentioned yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
single handily the best heatsink. if anyone wants to dispute that they are plain wrong. there might be something that is close or comparable but thats the best.


will that fit in my case and mobo? looks huge, and i want the best bang for the buck too, if there is no need to spend that much on the heatsink better
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 10:22:29 PM

sorry i chose the best answer so quickly XD, but thx for helping, i want the best bang for the buck, $50 being the max i want to spend
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 10:22:46 PM

i never worked with aftermarket heatsinks
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2011 12:41:07 AM

its shorter then the hyper 212+ and those fit in almost everything especially that case. and dont worry about it fitting over your ram. you have low profile so it will be fine.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 2:58:46 AM

cbrunnem said:
its shorter then the hyper 212+ and those fit in almost everything especially that case. and dont worry about it fitting over your ram. you have low profile so it will be fine.

do you think its necessary to get that one over the hyper 212? would you recommend me to?
m
0
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
December 16, 2011 5:57:50 AM

megagabobe1 said:
do you think its necessary to get that one over the hyper 212? would you recommend me to?

You don't need a D-14 dude!= cost too much imo.
A CM EVO would be fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you want to go for the gold these units are as good as a D-14 cooling wise and have quieter fans.+ usually cheaper
Thermalright Silver Arrow
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58634&vpn=Silver%20Arr...
http://www.crazypc.com/products/silver-arrow-50990.html
Thermalright Archon
http://www.crazypc.com/products/ARCHON-HTSN.html
Personally if i were in your shoes i'd wait a couple of weeks and get the CM Hyper 612 PWM when it becomes available.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...
COOLER MASTER RR-H612
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2011 3:05:23 PM

davcon said:
You don't need a D-14 dude!= cost too much imo.
A CM EVO would be fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you want to go for the gold these units are as good as a D-14 cooling wise and have quieter fans.+ usually cheaper
Thermalright Silver Arrow
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58634&vpn=Silver%20Arr...
http://www.crazypc.com/products/silver-arrow-50990.html
Thermalright Archon
http://www.crazypc.com/products/ARCHON-HTSN.html
Personally if i were in your shoes i'd wait a couple of weeks and get the CM Hyper 612 PWM when it becomes available.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

if you want to overclock that high you need to have the best cooler.
the coolermaster ones will run ten degrees hotter then the d14 and the d14 is quiter then the evo anyway when you do a push pull. i even showed a link from this site proving it to be quieter then the 212. the silver arrow might be just as good with aftermarket fans. stock to stock the noctua is a couple degrees better.

and who honestly cares about noise? you can set profiles to only ramp up the fans with the cpu gets hot?
m
0
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
December 16, 2011 3:30:14 PM

cbrunnem said:
if you want to overclock that high you need to have the best cooler.
the coolermaster ones will run ten degrees hotter then the d14 and the d14 is quiter then the evo anyway when you do a push pull. i even showed a link from this site proving it to be quieter then the 212. the silver arrow might be just as good with aftermarket fans. stock to stock the noctua is a couple degrees better.

and who honestly cares about noise? you can set profiles to only ramp up the fans with the cpu gets hot?

Really! the Thermalright TY-140mm is currently the best fan available in it's class.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
I'm not going to slag the D-14 because it truly is a top-tier air cooler.
That being said the Thermalright SA is a better value imo.
It's generally cheaper and features two excellent 140mm fans out of the box.= don't know why it would need aftermarket fans.
Stock to stock the difference in temps in negligible.
Both are excellent.
If you can pick-up a SA cheaper it's a better buy!
m
0
l
December 17, 2011 3:27:45 AM

davcon said:
You don't need a D-14 dude!= cost too much imo.
A CM EVO would be fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you want to go for the gold these units are as good as a D-14 cooling wise and have quieter fans.+ usually cheaper
Thermalright Silver Arrow
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58634&vpn=Silver%20Arr...
http://www.crazypc.com/products/silver-arrow-50990.html
Thermalright Archon
http://www.crazypc.com/products/ARCHON-HTSN.html
Personally if i were in your shoes i'd wait a couple of weeks and get the CM Hyper 612 PWM when it becomes available.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...
COOLER MASTER RR-H612
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

look at this one http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-100700529-True-Spiri...
m
0
l
December 17, 2011 3:29:10 AM

remember i got very good airflow in my case too, if it matters
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2011 10:25:07 AM

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/zardon/corsai...
i think a lot of coolers are said to be good coolers based on their cooling ability against the cost in which case that one is a good cooler. remember, to get a good overclock, if you can keep the heat down then thats more important then keeping the volts down. so a great cooler will let you overclock further.
m
0
l
!