New i7 Build advice

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next 2 or 3 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: €950 / £860 / $1400

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Dvd drive, hard drives

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.overclockers.co.uk

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU i7, Nvidia GFX

OVERCLOCKING: Definitely

SLI : Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Iv read quite a lot of reviews of the stuff I picked out and I think its all pretty sound but I'm probably least sure about the RAM/Power Supply. Also really want to stick to Nvidia I know the ATi cards are cheaper but I'm really not their biggest fan

Case : Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Power Supply : *OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366)

Processor : Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)

Graphics Card : BFG GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCI-E

Ram : *Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel

Cooling : Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Can I ask what's better about that cooler? apart from the price, according to the stats, the V8 runs quieter, better airflow, and has 1 extra fan, and its more powerful,

Thanks.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

I get what you mean about 275 being overkill but I don't plan on upgrading again for a good few years (this is the first time iv upgraded in 4 years) and getting another 512mb card just doesn't make much sense to me I believe its called 'future proofing' ? :D Ill look into the ram!

Right now Nvidia is just not "futureproof". DX11 is on the way (easily inside of a 4 year timeframe) and Nvidia hasnt got a product even announced while ATI is shipping theirs in 2 days. You might go with a GTX 260 and plan on replacing the GPU in a couple years. If nothing else, ATI shipping the 5800 series should force Nvidia to drop prices so waiting a couple weeks might help your budget.

tecmo34

Administrator

I agree...

I have not been able to find a review with the V8 and Cogage listed together. I based my recommendation on reviews similar to the one above that points the Cogage to be equal or close to the Thermalright TRUE, which I know is better than the V8.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Cool review, wish the V8 was in there tho to compare! I haven't got a link either I was going by their actual selling stats listed on overclockers.co.uk. Think I will swap the V8 for the TRUE Spirit tho.

Yeah someone else was telling me to wait for the Nvidia prices to drop after the ATi release before I buy anything.

Anyone have anything to say on the powersupply or maybe the ram?

tecmo34

Administrator
The first card is sold out now and the second card looks to be a good card. Either card will handle your resolution just fine. The GTX 275 is the better card but if you are looking to cut cost, you can't go wrong with the GTX260 Core 216