Sign in with
Your question

Is ASUS P6X58D Premium an overkill for my i7 920 System?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 9, 2010 3:49:41 PM

Hello,

I am putting an i7 920 processor with Radeon 5850 video and 4GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM Triple Channel Memory in a Xfire ready system all housed with Zalman 9900 fan in HAF932 ATX case.

Would getting ASUS P6X58D Premium board be too much for me? I like the fact that its 6GB/s SATA ready. Dont know if my current drive will be this fast but for future this might come in handy. I also like that it supports a faster memory 2000MHz one, maybe I will upgrade in the future.

Anyway do I need all of this. I'm working with around 1000 dollars for the hardware. Maybe by the time I decide to go to 6GB/s HDD and 2000MHz memory, Ill need a whole new system entirely?

Any advice would be really great. I don't want to throw my money away on something I don't need.

Best regards,,
Alex.
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 4:38:51 PM

If you can fit it into your budget, go for it. If going for it causes you to skimp a little on some of your other hardware, don't worry about it. SATA 6gb/s is not needed right now at all- you'd have to have a MONSTER RAID array to notice it at all. I would probably go for a slightly cheaper MOBO and bump up to 6gb of RAM(you have triple channel- why not?), or a 5870, or a bit more storage.
m
l
!