Corsair H80

nexere

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hey im getting an i5 2500k at xmas and have a friend who bought a corsair h80 that wouldn't fit in his case.

I don't realy like the idea of having water inside my pc, but he would sell it to me cheaper than what buying a good aircooler would cost.
Are these things realy that safe? I mean water flowing right next to £300 of new pc parts seams kinda risky.
I would ofc overclock the i5, it would be a sin not to :)
so do closed loop generally ever leak?

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
No need to worry, the Corsair H80 is a well built unit. I visit their support forum on a regular basis and have yet to hear reports of one leaking. If you can get one on the cheap then don't hesitate.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Another 'is watercooling safe' question...

No, it's absolutely unsafe and they intend to purposely fry your entire computer when you buy and use these. /sarcasm.

Yes, they are fine...I don't know why people always ask these kinds of questions. If you do a little research you will see there are an incredibly large number of people that use these closed loop coolers without issue. Would I use one? Nope. I would rather run real watercooling, but that's just my opinion. If it's free, sounds like a decent deal. Should you worry about leaking- no.

nexere

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Thanx guys and sorry if its a repeated question
I wouldn't normaly consider water cooling as i heard some air coolers are as good if not better at cooling then the corsair ones.
but as my m8 can't use his i will hopefully get a good deal :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Well, to be perfectly honest, we don't really classify closed loop coolers as 'watercooling' in most watercooling forums. The fact that it does work on very similar principles is why we help support them, but the performance differences between Corsair units and full-fledged watercooling loops is pretty dramatic. You are correct in stating these LCS coolers perform about as well as most good air coolers...which should lend some insight into what you could potentially expect from real watercooling.