Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Plug in the i7 920's @!#$ fan into an EVGA x58 Le Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2009 2:13:13 AM

Anyone with a stock intel cpu fan for the i7 920 in a EVGA x58 Le Mobo could you tell me how to plug in the @!&*! fan.
The fan plug is blue, green, yellow, black. I need to know how to orient this fan connector to pins 1-4 of the cpu fan connector. Its not in the manual though I do have a label in the doc that says ground is pin 4. Is it standard that black on a cpu fan is always ground and thereby indicate black on the connector goes to pin 4?????

Calls into microcenter where I bought the cpu and posts into evga but nothing yet on such a simple issue. Why couldn't EVGA just put a fricken key in the pin connector on the motherboard? :fou: 
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 8:01:23 AM

The fan will only plug in one way because the plug itself will have notches and grooves in it to make sure it only goes in one way.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2009 1:19:50 PM

LePhuronn said:
The fan will only plug in one way because the plug itself will have notches and grooves in it to make sure it only goes in one way.

LePhuronn, I hear you but just 1 minute ago I just double checked and I took the cpu fan wired connector and plugged it into the 4 pin connector labelled jcpu_fan on the evga x58 mobo. Then flipped the connector and plugged it in again the other way....no key action going on. The connector on the wire is keyed. It does key into the 4 other general fan connections on the mobo but these are all 3 pin VS 4 pins. The motherboard cpu fan socket has no plastic key on my 4 pin connector.

I thought I might get lucky and see if I can identify which is pin 1 on the 3 pin connectors and then just use that info to correctly orient the plug into the 4 pin connector. I didn't see any such markings or notes in the mobo manual.

But this is what I do have...... When I plug the CPU fan connector into the keyed 3 pin connector on the mobo I see that it orients a connection with the Black,Yellow, and Green wire leaving the blue hanging in the wind. I believe this blue is the control wire for the cpu fan which is not used on the 4 other sockets. I think this is control simply because my mobo manual lays out what the 4 pin are for and I can see the 3 pin socket not having a control pin but it needs the ground, +12V and sense pins. I just looked at the 4 pin connector a second ago and noticed a small arrow/triangle
printed on the motherboard and it is pointing at pin one. Does a triangle point at ground? or control?

Strangely No posts to my evga.com forum post either. It's driving me insane that I can't proceed with a $1500 build because I can't 100% verify the plug orientation on a cpu fan. I think I'm figuring out a likely reason to plug in with Black towards the cpu but damn I shouldn't have to guess at all on something like this.

Any other ideas? Can anyone just spot their stock 920 fan plug on an evga x58 mobo for the color closest to the cpu?

m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
December 10, 2009 3:45:01 PM

Based on the below picture I was able to pull from an image of the EVGA X58 LE MOBO, here is how your 4-pin Fan should be connected.

The black wire should be installed in to the fab connector where it is closest to the CPU based on the information provide in JackNaylorPE posting ( http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_%28CPU%... ) .
December 10, 2009 4:44:29 PM

UPDATE: I have a broken New Mobo. When I look at the Mobo in the case with a flashlight it is nearly impossible to see where the perpenticular tab of plastic (the key) snapped off. I'm sure I didn't do this as I would have felt or heard it snap. taking a small flat blade screw driver I can "scratch" the tip on the mobo fan socket next to the 4 pins. When I do, I feel a rough surface which is not really visible from from looking straight down at it. I suspect it would be easier to see it from level with the edge of the motherboard. There is one small spot on the connector where the socket is smooth (in front of pin 4). So I know where the key should be and that key/tab was more or less in front of pin 1 and 2.

Because the 4pin fan plug fits into a 3 pin connector (keyed in) too I agree that the blue/control is away from the cpu and the black is closest to the cpu. Pin 1 on both the 3 pin and the 4 pin connector has to be the same "black".

Thanks a bunch for helping out. This was a really strange problem that normally does not come up. Thanks tecmo34 for the help and I really liked that allpinouts.org page. It greatly adds to the warm and fuzzy's about this now.
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 2:41:43 AM

LePhuronn said:

That's what i thought ....but he said "Why couldn't EVGA just put a fricken key in the pin connector on the motherboard?" I assumed the "shoe" was missing
m
l
!