- Want to start purchasing parts now to take advantages of MIRs ending September. The MIRs add up to $82
- Using the system for gaming, web, video encoding (minidv to dvd).
- Separate budget ($1200) for monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, speakers, Nvidia 3D glasses
- May dabble in OC'ing but won't be pushing things as the norm
- Needs to be NVidia card as I want to use the NVidia 3D Vision Kit; Subsequently getting a Sumsung 22" 2233RZ
- Will SLI in future (waiting to see happens in next few weeks from NVidia and then wait for prices to come down a bit; Would be a year before I upgrade)
- Would prefer to use canadacomputers.com but not critical. Absolutely needs to be a Canuck company.
1 x Either the Cosmos S or ATCS 840 or soething else. Both are around $250
1 x Core i7 920 ($350)
1 x Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P ($261 after $20 MIR)
2 x Patriot 1333MHz 6GB (9-9-9-24) (Total cost for two kits - $253.77 after $40 MIR)
1 x Cosair CMPSU-850TX ($157.67 after $22 MIR)
1 x 1TB WDC Black ($111)
1 x Samsung SH-S223F ($40)
1 x BFG GeForce GTX 285 - 666Mhz ($412)
1. CHASSIS: I love the two cases I mention but cognizant of the size. I will upgrade over time but don't need full tower just for the sake of it. Will cases like the CM690 hold this stuff OK and still be future proof size wise? Any other recommended?
2. RAM: I see for a total of $16 more I can get the same RAM @ 7-7-7-20. Is it even worth it or is it throwing money away?
3. PSU: More than enough or too much? Will the CMPSU-750TX work and be good future wise?
On the GPU i would go with the GTX 275 and just OC it, and add another down the road
On the PSU i like it, Some say a 750 will do but i like to go over a bit on PSU for the 10 bucks differnts i would stay with the 850. You will only use the power you need anyways so it wont add more to the power bill.
That patriot RAM with cas 9, bleh. Better to get Gskil Ripjaws or OCZ GOld or Corsair XMS3 with cas 7or 8 timing. You could also start with 6GB as you may not really need 12GB.
Those are expensive cases. Is there a reason you want those over like a coolermaster HAF 932 ?
As mentioned in first post I really have no idea if I'm going to notice a difference in a RAM latency. According to this wikipedia page (see chart at bottom) I would be looking at a difference of 3-4NS. Is this even noticeable? Do the other two brands you mention offer anything else worth the extra?
Really, the case is coming down to function and style. I love the look of the two I mention and don't mind spending a little more in that department.
Duly noted re. 6GB vs. 12 at this time. Curious, is it that 12 just will never be used or are the gains over 6 vs. price marginal?