I7 build - $1900 CAD budget - Can I improve?

ontariodude

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
- Want to start purchasing parts now to take advantages of MIRs ending September. The MIRs add up to $82
- Using the system for gaming, web, video encoding (minidv to dvd).
- Separate budget ($1200) for monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, speakers, Nvidia 3D glasses
- May dabble in OC'ing but won't be pushing things as the norm
- Needs to be NVidia card as I want to use the NVidia 3D Vision Kit; Subsequently getting a Sumsung 22" 2233RZ
- Will SLI in future (waiting to see happens in next few weeks from NVidia and then wait for prices to come down a bit; Would be a year before I upgrade)

- Would prefer to use canadacomputers.com but not critical. Absolutely needs to be a Canuck company.

1 x Either the Cosmos S or ATCS 840 or soething else. Both are around $250
1 x Core i7 920 ($350)
1 x Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P ($261 after $20 MIR)
2 x Patriot 1333MHz 6GB (9-9-9-24) (Total cost for two kits - $253.77 after $40 MIR)
1 x Cosair CMPSU-850TX ($157.67 after $22 MIR)
1 x 1TB WDC Black ($111)
1 x Samsung SH-S223F ($40)
1 x BFG GeForce GTX 285 - 666Mhz ($412)

Questions...

1. CHASSIS: I love the two cases I mention but cognizant of the size. I will upgrade over time but don't need full tower just for the sake of it. Will cases like the CM690 hold this stuff OK and still be future proof size wise? Any other recommended?
2. RAM: I see for a total of $16 more I can get the same RAM @ 7-7-7-20. Is it even worth it or is it throwing money away?
3. PSU: More than enough or too much? Will the CMPSU-750TX work and be good future wise?

Thanks!

The CM 690 will work well, and is a good case the others have better air flow and more room to work in.

On the ram OCZ gold is a good set to pick up. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

On the GPU i would go with the GTX 275 and just OC it, and add another down the road

On the PSU i like it, Some say a 750 will do but i like to go over a bit on PSU for the 10 bucks differnts i would stay with the 850. You will only use the power you need anyways so it wont add more to the power bill.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
use directcanada instead of canadacomputers, because they are a rip off.

is 12gb ram needed?

get a samsung f3 hard drive instead?

cm690 is okay, but not future proof .

why you want to use nvidia 3d glasses? when ati is coming out with eyefinity..using multiple monitors to play games..making one LARGE image

That patriot RAM with cas 9, bleh. Better to get Gskil Ripjaws or OCZ GOld or Corsair XMS3 with cas 7or 8 timing. You could also start with 6GB as you may not really need 12GB.

Those are expensive cases. Is there a reason you want those over like a coolermaster HAF 932 ?

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

couldnt agree with you more.
get haf 932 case or antec 1200.

ontariodude

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

As mentioned in first post I really have no idea if I'm going to notice a difference in a RAM latency. According to this wikipedia page (see chart at bottom) I would be looking at a difference of 3-4NS. Is this even noticeable? Do the other two brands you mention offer anything else worth the extra?

Really, the case is coming down to function and style. I love the look of the two I mention and don't mind spending a little more in that department.

Duly noted re. 6GB vs. 12 at this time. Curious, is it that 12 just will never be used or are the gains over 6 vs. price marginal?

Read up on the ram http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2325-4.html in RL you wont see the speed between cas 7 / 8 ect

on the amount of ram you will see a differnts in some programs, but is the 140 bucks worth 30 sec ? if that

On the brand the Corsair OCZ Gskill are just better companys < ford or hugo, If it was me i would check with the maker of the mobo and see what is aproved ram for that board.

On the Case its up to you

Solution
I would not buy Patriot or PNY Ram. Gskill, OCZ, Corsair are better quality.

If you have two sets of RAM your memory will run a bit slower than a single set. If you never actually use the second set you are just wasting power and slowing your system down a tiny bit.