Processor Compatibility?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Compatibility
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2009 2:44:58 AM

Hey again,
so, I just upgraded my old rig from a 7900 gt (haha oldddd) to a GTX 260. It still rocks out an athlon 64 x2 3800 (2GHz dual core)

Because of the recent GPU upgrade, I thought why not get a CPU upgrade to go with it?

The problem is my mobo is about as old as the cpu and old gpu. It is a GA-M57SLI-S4. I lost the manual for it (It's about 3 years old if I remember correctly.) So I looked at their website, and here it says that it WILL support phenom x3/x4, but it is only a AM2 socket. So I was wondering if a cheap phenom was the way to go, I am looking for an extremely cheap upgrade (hopefully under $100), so I don't have money to replace the mobo just now. However, if the mobo will support Phenoms without an AM2+ / AM3 socket, then I guess I will be willing to throw in an extra 75-100 for a longer lasting processor.

Here is the page with it's specs.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

I was looking to replace the old athlon with either this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this one...

Also, if you want to recommend another cpu, I will almost surely look for overclocking as my old rig has water CPU cooling.

Thanks in advance

More about : processor compatibility

a c 127 à CPUs
December 10, 2009 3:51:26 AM

Well for one your mobo does support some Phenom IIs. Look here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

If it was me, I would go with this one:

A Phenom II X4 940. Quad core, stock of 3GHz and pretty OCable. I think they should get to 3.6GHz easily on air so with water it might be 4GHz+. Its $150 so its a bit more than you wanted but this would make your GTX260 FLY compared to that dual core you were looking at and probably smoothen your overall computing experience.

Hope that helps.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 4:11:13 AM

Careful; the 940 isn't supported.

Their are only two AM3 cpus supported by your mobo. If you want to go the cheapest route, get the Phenom II 550 (dual core), or if you want the best you can get, get the Phenom II 945 (95 W only) (quad core).
Either of these cpus will be enough to adequately drive your new gpu, the choice remains up to you on how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last you.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 1:35:52 PM

If you look, the 940 is listed as AM2+ on the following table.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 2:04:53 PM

^Indeed, but regardless, its not supported with any BIOS version as of now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 5:14:50 PM

What a stupid way of listing compatibility...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 5:23:52 PM

My guess is it has to do with the wattage of the cpus, as the only phenom class cpus supported are 95 W or less.
m
l
December 10, 2009 6:53:08 PM

pepperman said:
Careful; the 940 isn't supported.

Their are only two AM3 cpus supported by your mobo. If you want to go the cheapest route, get the Phenom II 550 (dual core), or if you want the best you can get, get the Phenom II 945 (95 W only) (quad core).
Either of these cpus will be enough to adequately drive your new gpu, the choice remains up to you on how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last you.

So my mobo WILL support 95W phenoms?

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far also!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 7:14:41 PM

xAPOCALYPSEx said:
So my mobo WILL support 95W phenoms?

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far also!

Yes it will support a 95 watt Phenom II X4 945. just be sure to update the bios to the latest.
m
l
December 10, 2009 7:21:00 PM

I'd probably go for either Phenom II X2 550 or the 945.

@mi1ez:
I agree, it is a retarded way of doing a cpu list.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 7:34:29 PM

warmon6 said:
Yes it will support a 95 watt Phenom II X4 945. just be sure to update the bios to the latest.

Also, make sure you update your BIOS before you put the new cpu in; this might save you a lot of headaches.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 7:42:01 PM

Damn AMD, things are starting to get confusing on the compatibility front. They need to pay someone to do research and color-code it or blood-code it so that people can better understand what CPU's can go into what MoBo's/BOIS versions..
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 8:11:36 PM

It's not AMD, its the mobo manufacturers. They're the ones who are responsible for determining whether or not a cpu works with their solution of implementation. The problem here is its not entirely based on chipset (if it were, things would be much simpler, as AMD could be the one to determine compatibility); its also based on power, cache, number of cores, and the micro-architecture.

We saw a similar situation with the introduction of core 2 and the 975X northbridge. In theory, the chipset supported core 2, but due to narrow voltage control, the new cpus wouldn't work.
m
l
December 11, 2009 2:10:49 AM

woah, wait.
The phenom x4 is an am3 socket, so are you all sure it will work?
but more importantly (actually equally important) http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mod... says that the latest bios version for my mobo supports the triple cores, but nothing about the quad cores, nor in any other version. Also, none of the updates say they will support am3 sockets.
haha, still need a little help apparently :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 4:06:56 AM

Looking at the cpu support page , we see that under AM3, the only cpus supported are the Phenom II 550 and the Phenom II 945 (95 Watt version). On the far right next to each cpu gives the minimum bios revision required to support said cpu.
AMD has tried to make their modern cpus as backwards compatible with older mobos as possible, which is why you can run an AM3 cpu in an older AM2 mobo such as yours (you just have to pay attention to the cpu support).
As for the bios info, usually not all the items addressed are listed in the short description given; if you go by the cpu support page you'll be fine.
m
l
December 11, 2009 6:18:23 AM

pepperman said:
Looking at the cpu support page , we see that under AM3, the only cpus supported are the Phenom II 550 and the Phenom II 945 (95 Watt version). On the far right next to each cpu gives the minimum bios revision required to support said cpu.
AMD has tried to make their modern cpus as backwards compatible with older mobos as possible, which is why you can run an AM3 cpu in an older AM2 mobo such as yours (you just have to pay attention to the cpu support).
As for the bios info, usually not all the items addressed are listed in the short description given; if you go by the cpu support page you'll be fine.

Oh, I see now. Thanks to you, and thanks to everyone! You guys were a hugeee help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 6:27:10 AM

Anytime; that's what we're here for.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:49:32 PM

pepperman said:
It's not AMD, its the mobo manufacturers. They're the ones who are responsible for determining whether or not a cpu works with their solution of implementation. The problem here is its not entirely based on chipset (if it were, things would be much simpler, as AMD could be the one to determine compatibility); its also based on power, cache, number of cores, and the micro-architecture.

We saw a similar situation with the introduction of core 2 and the 975X northbridge. In theory, the chipset supported core 2, but due to narrow voltage control, the new cpus wouldn't work.

I know it's not AMD's fault, i was just simply stating that things can get confusing in the AMD world, so AMD should add a nice touch by paying one person to do the research and make charts of what CPU is compatible with what MoBo's/BIOS's, it's not rocket Science, just some phone calls to their OEM's/Partners and internet. Things like this make things easier for people who don't understand. Things like this would eventually lead AMD to be known as the "better" company, and if that's what they're labled, then let us call them "betterer" :sol: 
m
l
!