Sign in with
Your question

Intel to Introduce GPGPU Functions Into Westmere

Last response: in CPUs
a c 127 à CPUs
December 10, 2009 3:41:44 AM

Looks like a interesting step:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-westmere-gpgpu-a...

Intel will have the GPU do some offloading of certain processes for the CPU much like AMDs 780G does for it. Could this mean that AMD wont be able to show its 780G playing a game and encoding if Westmere can do this? I wounder.

Also found this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4032...

From: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...

Interesting to say the least. It blows the crap out of G45 and keeps up with the 780G system. The Westmere system is slightly handicapped. Its a dual, the AMD is a quad and it only has 2GB of DDR3 vs 4GB with the other two.

If this is true it will be interesting to see how this came about of what gave it this jump in performance.

Discuss.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 5:39:16 AM

The main thing AMD has going for them is driver support. Even though the 785 may be slower, AMD continuously releases updates that increases compatibility on new games. The integrated graphics might have more horsepower, but if Intel doesn't regularly update drivers it may leave you with some games that are just unplayable.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 10, 2009 7:31:29 AM

amnotanoobie said:
The main thing AMD has going for them is driver support. Even though the 785 may be slower, AMD continuously releases updates that increases compatibility on new games. The integrated graphics might have more horsepower, but if Intel doesn't regularly update drivers it may leave you with some games that are just unplayable.

ATI has a once a month cycle. Most games work with even older graphics drivers but Intel releases theirs with each game that needs fixing.

Besides that its still interesting to see that Westmere will be more than just a GMA thrown on. It seems to be more powerful and capable of GPGPU functions that is needed for a lot of things these days.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 8:28:30 AM

It's definitely a progression but I wouldn't get too excited yet.

There are obvious advantages to having the gpu and cpu so close together. A faster dual vs a slower quad is probably more of an advantage there as well, plus this is the 4200 not the faster 3300. Finally, it's pretty low resolution so chances are it's taxing the cpu more and that would explain why the GMA manages to almost run COD4.

It should end up a little behind the 4200 and is clearly better than the rest of the garbage they were releasing up till now, but when the new ATI mobo is released in a few months it will once again look like 2 year old tech.

If most of this increase has come from having the cpu and gpu so close together, Llano will be incredible.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 3:29:31 PM

So...instead of using 32 cores wired together, they want to improve performance by doing the same work on fewer cores?

Rendering is a massivly parralell task, and the CPU is simply unsuited for that type of work. X86 in particular isn't designed for this type of programming, and will never achieve any significant gains. I suspect the opposite would be true, and the extra workload on the CPU would be more likely to decrease performance instead.

SLI/CF tests already show a CPU bottleneck exists for high end setups on non-i7 chips, so if the CPU is the weaker component, how would giving it more work increase performance? Until programmers take advantage of the extra processing units (or M$ codes windows to open threads on the least active processor...), you won't be seeing any advantage from this.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 4:06:02 AM

Hah. Sorry but the first one is kinda funny. The guy states that Intel claiming that its drop in compatable with a LGA1156 board is wrong. He goes on to state it doesn't have the required PWM. Its as if he knows Clarksdale...... even though no one has it.

And yet even with the second one IT STILL DOUBLES the performance as said. But of course if you put it through a tortue test using the most graphics card based games that can't even run on a mid end GPU on low easily I would expect it to seem weak.

My personal opinion, if you expect to run Crysis on a IGP then you will be sorely dissapointed. The game was meant, like Doom, to be played at its highest to be the most enjoyable. On low it looks like utter crap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 4:41:57 AM

DX11 already brings direct compute. As we get newer DX revisions they will simply demand that GPUs be more and more programmable while still offering better performance than Intel's "let's strap a bunch of Pentium cores together" solution.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:07:49 AM

megamanx00 said:
DX11 already brings direct compute. As we get newer DX revisions they will simply demand that GPUs be more and more programmable while still offering better performance than Intel's "let's strap a bunch of Pentium cores together" solution.

Of course, but you forget that SPs and GPUs as we know them ar not programmable beyond what they can do. LRB itself is highly programmable due to its x86 nature.

And you can hate on the idea all you want but every CPU in this day runs off of a Pentium design in some way or another.

On topic though, this has nothing to do with Larrabee. This is Westmere which will have an actual GPU on the chip.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:11:34 AM

jennyh said:
It's definitely a progression but I wouldn't get too excited yet.

There are obvious advantages to having the gpu and cpu so close together. A faster dual vs a slower quad is probably more of an advantage there as well, plus this is the 4200 not the faster 3300. Finally, it's pretty low resolution so chances are it's taxing the cpu more and that would explain why the GMA manages to almost run COD4.

It should end up a little behind the 4200 and is clearly better than the rest of the garbage they were releasing up till now, but when the new ATI mobo is released in a few months it will once again look like 2 year old tech.

If most of this increase has come from having the cpu and gpu so close together, Llano will be incredible.

Llano will be amazing.. OMG!

Intel will be crying when Llano is released. Intel will be like.. damn.. AMD is always coming up with new technologies and we always copy.

Llano will be "smoother" than all the other AMD designs (and much "smoother" than Intel because Intel are evil and pay off sites for good reviews).

The good thing is AMD has 5 years to get their thing done... specially GF is going to gear up in 2012 so we'll never know the awesomeness that awaits within the realms of AMD. Intel has no awesomeness because their CPU don't have awesomeness integrated into them. AMD were the first to integrate awesomeness into their CPUs and Intel will probably copy soon.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 11, 2009 5:15:24 AM

I find it funny how a thread with interesting news gets passed by but a thread tht flames the living crap out of something goes on forever..

Guess next time I have to be negative like JDJ to get people to actually talk about it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 8:49:54 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Llano will be amazing.. OMG!

Intel will be crying when Llano is released. Intel will be like.. damn.. AMD is always coming up with new technologies and we always copy.

Llano will be "smoother" than all the other AMD designs (and much "smoother" than Intel because Intel are evil and pay off sites for good reviews).

The good thing is AMD has 5 years to get their thing done... specially GF is going to gear up in 2012 so we'll never know the awesomeness that awaits within the realms of AMD. Intel has no awesomeness because their CPU don't have awesomeness integrated into them. AMD were the first to integrate awesomeness into their CPUs and Intel will probably copy soon.

Elmo lets talk some more about Larrabee and how awesome intel cannot possibly fail. :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 9:07:28 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I find it funny how a thread with interesting news gets passed by but a thread tht flames the living crap out of something goes on forever..

Guess next time I have to be negative like JDJ to get people to actually talk about it.

After the last bunch of forum heroes (where is C4PSLOCK anyway...) banging the Larrabee drum and getting egg on their faces almost immediately afterwards - well lets just say nobody is very keen to make bold predictions on intel graphics right now.

Chances are it will be pretty dire but hey who knows - maybe Larrabee was cancelled because GMA is the way forward? :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2009 6:36:52 PM

jennyh said:
Elmo lets talk some more about Larrabee and how awesome intel cannot possibly fail. :D 

What's a Larrabee? is that Intel copying AMD again? Only AMD have Integrated awesomeness into their cores. And because of this awesomeness their CPUs are smoother.

Just ignore all of the evidence, stop thinking rationally and give up being a reasonable person and you'll see just as JennyH and I see.. that AMD is the best.

Don't believe me?

Here's proof of AMDs awesomeness:
m
l
December 11, 2009 9:31:34 PM

Its good news IF it pans out.
Intel sorely needs to improve its IGPs, period.
Thing is, its done on faster chips, and slower ones wont show much, but better is better.
Tho it wont be better than ATIs solution, its welcome, and tho ATI has another solution waiting in the wings, its welcome, but not a great option, sorta like sitting on billions of dollars and throwing a nickle at a problem, it took them forever to do it, but its welcome.
Good news? Sorta, but Id like to see more, just like Id like to see a better cpu from AMD as well, but we have to live with what we have.
In the end, better is better, but Ill wait awhile before we see true perf in affordable lowend solutions
m
l
!