Sign in with
Your question

New Intel 320 series 120GB SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 22, 2011 8:47:36 AM

Hi.

I just pursached my first SSD and i don't need to say i'm very happy with it. It's an Intel 320 series 120GB SSD and i did a bit of digging before installing it and so i did the basics like turning on AHCI in the bios, disabling defrag and superprefetch under windows services but still..there are some things i would love to see clarified by you guys!

1- Is there anything else i should do when it comes to settings in order to improve performance and longevity of the SSD?

2- Is it true the the most recent ssd's don't show the symptoms that older ssds used to show when it comes to performance degradation over time? If such is intrue how can i prevent it or correct it in the future? Format? :) 

3- Any special recomendation when installing an ssd with windows xp? (This only a curiosity since my intel ssd is being used with windows7 64bit).

4- I couldn't make much sense with what i read when it comes to ssd longevity, specially with this particular model..some say it will last 5 years with 20gb\day, some say 10 and other even say 20 years. Which is more probable?

Thank you all in advance!
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 22, 2011 1:11:58 PM

DON'T sweat longevety. Answer to your question can not truely be answered as only the true test of time will tell.

Your Intel 320 is warrented for 5 Years! If Intel though a large % would die in less than that, they would loose money on "Free" replacements.
Added: have not seen a resolution on 8 Mb bug in 320's - So keep an eye out for that and DO the windows 7 backup (Create image of "C" drive. Just did it last night and it took less than 5 Min!! End added

I have 8 SSDs, (3 new, 5 old) - and No problems.

As to additional SSD tweeks.
(1) disable hibernation.
(2) Set the page file so that max and Min are the same value. The value is determined by the amount of Ram you have installed. With 4 gigs try setting to 1 gig (much lower than windows sets it to. With 8 gigs Ram set to 512 Mb.
Optional: You can also set the page file to be placed on the HDD (Select None for "C" drive) and set value to the HDD. Small performance hit if on HDD, if No swaps occurr, Very small performance Hit.
(3) Move Internet and download temp file to the HDD - No real performance hit here as speed is limited by internet.
(4) Move "my Document folder to the HDD. Will not effect program loads. will have a small effect on opening a word document or spreadsheet, Like 1/10 of a sec to at most 1 sec. (depending on the size of the document.

How to - simply google (ie for hibernation, google "disable Hibernation in windows 7"

For Hibernation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
1..Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2..In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3..When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4..At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
5..Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.

Page File: http://ask-leo.com/what_is_pagefilesys_and_can_i_move_i...

Temp files: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

My Doc: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
The My Documents folder is part of Windows 7's new Documents Library. A library combines multiple folders that contain similar types of files.

To move your documents to the D drive: (D = Your HDD)

1. Create a new documents folder on the D drive.
2. Right-click the new folder and click Include in Library > Documents .
3. Click Start > Documents .
4. Double-click My Documents to show its contents.
5. Drag and drop the files to the new folder.
6. Press F5 to refresh the view.
7. Under Documents Library , click locations .
8. Right-click the new folder and click Set as default save location .
9. [Optional] Click My Documents and click Remove .

a b G Storage
July 22, 2011 2:00:17 PM

You rock Chief

As to the 'longevity' of the drive these numbers are based on the number of times you can write to your NAND. Intel rates the nand at so many life cycles and over-provisions a little in case of failures. Now they just do the math to figure out how many total GB can be written to the drive over it's theoretical lifetime. They divide the total number of GB into 5 years or whatever and say you can write so may GB per day.

Suffice it to say that we will not 'use up' our NAND before we replace it. So go ahead and enjoy your drive.

Most HDD/ssd hardware degradation is actually software degradation imho. And formating / secure erasing is good for that. Trim works well. Just don't fill up the drive or, understand that a full drive will perform somewhat less well.

Never installed on xp myself. Can't remember the tweaks. Would have to google it myself. At work we have some mini pcs that use a first gen adata ssd and have had a couple crap out. They run xp but I have no control over anything to do with them.
Related resources
July 22, 2011 2:14:37 PM

Thank you all for the great, GREAT input. I'll do everything as you said.

About the 8mb bug in the 320 series, i just read about it...now i am freaking scared! Incredible i didn not come across with it 1 week and a half ago when i ordered my ssd, everyone were saying wonders about it -_-
Some say it is a really rare bug and that intel will release a fix soon. I serioulsy hope i'm not of of those uclucky people with 8mb of storage in their ssd :( 
a b å Intel
a c 353 G Storage
July 22, 2011 2:28:32 PM

Forgot your question about XP.
Primarily do all tweeks that reduce writes to the SSD. Pick an SSD that has a Good Garbage collector (CG) as trim only works in Win 7. (ie the C300 has poor CG) Intel controller and SF controller CG should work. Note this same comment on trim is valid for win 7 when the SSD is a member drive of a Raid array as Trim is not passed to drive.
!