Solved

VIdeo card migration/OC

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 6, 2009 4:07:28 AM

As some of you may have know, I'm doing a video card migration from a 7900GS to a 5870, as per my long lifecycle deal.

So here is the steps I think I should be using to migrate it.

OS is windows 7 RC 7100 64-bit

remove nvidia drivers from programs with it's own installer
reboot with nvidia card into safe mode
use driver sweeper from guru3d (only one that works on windows 7 64 I think)
shut down, swap cards
install newest cata drivers.
and done

So a few other things, I have some games that needed the phyx thing installed, do I need to remove those, or are they vender neutral still after nvidia brought them out?
and would the steps be similar to the one above? Just remove the phyx driver/program and then run sweeper in safe mode?

Lastly, for OCing, do I need a special driver or are there separate programs like riva tuner for nvidia that I can use for OCing. my last ATI card was the 9200 and that was a long time ago where I have no idea what OCing was.

More about : video card migration

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:07:28 AM

Depending on which games, they should work, but they won't look quite as pretty (in reality they will look prettier since you're going to a 5870). As for OCing, there's always catalyst and amd overdrive, but they don't always work; ATI tool hasn't been updated in years, and doesn't even support the HD 4000 series cards, so they probably won't support 5000 series without a new version (current is 0.26). With that said, I use rivatuner to OC my 4870 (I know, its called "rivatuner" but it still works on ATI hardware). It might take a new release to support the new architecture, but you can always give the current version a try.
October 6, 2009 6:10:32 AM

Hmm on third thought, any 8xxx nvidia CPU can do physx? Can I plug in a 8500 GT or a 8400GS as a dedicated physx card with the 5870? With the recent driver hack that is.

And that hacked driver would only affect physx drivers and not like ati cata stuff right?

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 12:20:19 PM

In theory you could; I'm not very familiar with running multiple gpus like that but you can give it a try.
m
l
October 6, 2009 3:51:18 PM

ok so for at least physx, i should or should not unistall / reinstall drivers? with a single card that is
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:09:08 PM

For the single card, yes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:32:14 PM

PhysX required a 8000 series card with at least 512MB RAM, which exclused the 8400/8500.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:33:02 PM

I guess that finishes that idea, unless you want to spring for an 8600 GT, or above.
m
l
October 7, 2009 9:51:41 PM

perfect...... uninstall it is
m
l