Comp locks up at start up.

leon_belmont37604

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello, I have a Samsung 500GB sata hard drive that I received from a friend because they didn't use it anymore. I bring it home, and hook it up to my computer and try to boot up. It will get to the posting screen where you can choose to enter setup before it completes the initial boot up, but then locks up. It doesn't finishing loading, you can't enter the BIOS, nothing. However, when I unplug the hard drive, and just use my original hard drive with windows on it, it boots up no problem. It only happens when the hard drive I got from my friend is plugged up.

Here is the model number for the hdd. Samsung HD501LJ. Would also like to the note that the hdd is powering on and the platters are spinning, so its not locked up or anything.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated thanks.

Solution
It's the hardware's fault, most likely. Probably the logic board of the HDD is failing.
Make sure the SATA cable you use is in good condition, you could try to replace it. Also try a different SATA port on the mobo.
It's the hardware's fault, most likely. Probably the logic board of the HDD is failing.
Make sure the SATA cable you use is in good condition, you could try to replace it. Also try a different SATA port on the mobo.

Solution