Closed Solved

Gainward GTX 295 - auto fan speed not always working

I have a Gainward GTX 295 graphics card which I am using with an Intel i7 920 CPU and an Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard. Operating system is Windows 7 RC.

Ever since I have had this card (about 4 months), I have had an intermittent problem where the automatic fan speed control doesn't always work. Normally when the card is running intensive graphics (eg. games) the fan speed changes accordingly to keep the card cool. But every now and then, it fails to work, and as a result the card gets very hot (> 100 degrees C) and eventually shuts down.

I am really not sure where the problem is. Is it a hardware problem with the card? Or is it a software problem with my drivers? The fact that the problem is intermittent makes it very hard to know what the cause is. Is there a chance it is a BIOS problem with the card. Can the BIOS even be updated on these cards?

Any help much appreciated.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gainward auto speed working
  1. try using riva tuner / evga precision. there is an option to set the fan speed by yourself.
  2. I am already using evga precision. The fan is set to "auto" on that program, yet sometimes the auto fan just doesn't seem to work. I had this problem though before I installed evga precision.
  3. how about disabling auto fan control? did the same problem occur when you manually set the fan speed?
  4. Disabling the auto fan and running at a constant speed appears to work ok. It is difficult to know what works or not because the problem is so intermittent. But running at a constant speed is not what I really want - i just want the auto fan to work properly - i want to be sure the video card doesn't overheat when I put a load on it, but i want the fan to run quiet at no load. It works fine most of the time, but when it doesn't my video card gets extemely hot, and as I said earlier, cuts out and crashes my machine. Don't know if it's a hardaware or software problem...
  5. test your card on another pc and see if the same problem happen. maybe this is not related but you can also try using different version of driver. if the problem persist i think your board might have problem
  6. Best answer
    INESTALING THE EXPERTOOL FOR GTX295 IN THE DVD DRIVER AND THE FINE THIS PROBLEM
    I HAVE GAINWARD GTX 295
    I HAVE NOT PROBLEM YOU TOO
    IS VERY GOOD AND IS COOL IN THE GAME AND WORK
  7. But your GTX295 makes your CAPS LOCK stick ! :koala:
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Gainward Fan Speed Graphics