How to test a processor

kirkart

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello,
I can't run 2 mem sticks at once. They both work individually, but produce a blue screen crash together. AsusP7P55D Deluxe and Pentium I-5 750. All new. I tested the memory with memtest. I am told the processor handles the memory config somehow. What's the culprit here?
Thanks

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Did you test them both individually and then together with memtest86+? http://www.memtest.org

Are you putting them in the correct slots? With two sticks, it should be the second slot from your CPU and furthest slot from your CPU.

Have you tried setting the Voltage and timings in BIOS? Did you change any other BIOS settings?

What RAM are you using? Full model number, a link would be helpful.

kirkart

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I have them in the correct slots. I haven't done anything with timings or voltage in BIOS except to choose the default settings. the RAM is GSKILL
F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. iI just read in the mobo manual that this RAM is not on the qualified vendor list, although som other GSKILL sticks are listed.
I appreciate your response. I have been trying to resolve this via the phone support without much luck. I did not test the sticks together because they cause an almost immediate crash.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
When you tested them individually, which slot did you put them in?

It looks like this is your RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

If so, put one stick in and boot into BIOS. Set the RAM V to 1.5V. Set the timings to 9-9-9-24. Make sure XMP is disabled. Then save and power off. Put your second stick in and see if it will start.

If that doesn't work, please tell me which slots you have your RAM inserted into. Also, you may want to consider updating your BIOS. Gigabyte has released a number of updates with the description "increased memory support" and I would be surprised if Asus was not making similar improvements.

kirkart

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Thanks for your help. I tested both sticks yesterday, but didn't test each one in both slots. Today, I think I have found the culprit. One of the sticks appears to be bad. Windows won't even boot in safe mode using it, whereas
the other stick is stable. I will try with your recommended settings to make sure. Again, Thanks.