Are my 6970's cfx dying?!?

ambizro

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,
So recently i notice very very rarely that when i tab out of a game or sometimes while playing. I only play sc2 at the moment.

i get like a flashing sorta horizontal bar that moves up to the top of the screen and stays there. i tab out and close game and when i reload it its still there.

also sometimes i get like a wierd split screen effect while playing. again these are all very rare occasions. but its all fucked up when it splits and not really able to see whats going on.

any idea on whats up?

i have crossfire setup 6970's oc'd to 980 / 1475 / 1.3v 24/7 on both. i5 760 at 4.2 and 8 gig ram 1000W psu ect.

i am not really experiencing any other problems.

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Have you reverted back to original clocks?

If the lines are still there, uninstall the drivers, download driver sweeper and clean out all the graphic & display registry files that you have.

Try installing the new AMD ATI HD 6XXXX 12.1 Preview driver, if not, then the 11.12.

If there is still an issue, especially after conducting a whole system wipe (Like reinstalling windows), then you should try and use onboard vga or find another graphic card for cheap just to see if it's the card. If you still get the lines, you might want to look for a new monitor.

briansklein

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Any time you tab out to do another task You utilize ram not your GPU so im going to assume your ram is struggling making the transition back to phase 1. Try running Memtest to see if any of your ram sticks are going on you. I just had similar issues with graphics glitches and have learn after years of dealing with graphics glitches that it is almost always a ram issue not so much a GPU issue. Usually if your GPU is struggling doing a task your screen will lock up and force a restart to go back to normal. But I am just a peon so I hope this helps.