2 Hard drives, 1 Mobo

Giambatista

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have a new pc that I built at xmas and an old pc. I'm trying to retrieve data off my old pc but am having issues getting windows to start up. For the sake of keeping this as easy to follow as possible, my new functional hd will be reffered to as hd1, and my old shitty hd will be referred to as hd2.

My solution was to hook hd2 into my new pc along with hd1, the idea being I would boot up my pc with hd1, and then while in windows be able to access my old seemingly broken hd2 and manually retrieve the files I needed.

Problem I'm running into is I can't get my computer to boot of my default hd1 once I plug in hd2. My pc keeps default to the old crappy hd2 and therefore won't boot up. I tried going into the bios and setting the boot priority to hd1 like it was before i hooked up hd2, but it's not shown as an option as long as hd2 is plugged in.

My initial setup was hd1 was in sata 5, hd2 in sata 3. I then moved hd1 to sata 1, thinking that perhaps it was giving priority to hd2 based on the fact that it had a lower sata number. Fail. Then I switched hd1 to sata 6, keeping hd2 at sata 5, thinking that perhaps it was giving priority to hd1 based on the fact that it had a higher sata number. Fail.

I decided since I obviously am not a mobo expert, or an expert of sata priority while booting up, that I needed some assistance.

I have an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO mobo. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Giambatista

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
As I mentioned above, when i go into my boot priority with both hd's plugged in, it doesn't give me the option to plug into hd1. If I remove hd2, then hd1 shows back up in the boot priority, but as soon as hd2 is plugged back in hd1 randomly disappears and hd2 becomes the only hd option I have to boot from.

Giambatista

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Wow, sometimes computers just piss me right off, lol. How can it be that with 2 hard drives I don't have the "hard drive" option in bios to change the hard drive priority, but with 3 hard drives it magically appears. Luckily for me a friend left an old hard drive at my house, so old that it wasn't even raid compatible, but it got the job done.

Thanks for that article. If I hadn't of gotten my mothers mp3 files off my old computer she would have murdered me.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Hehe, no problem. Unfortunately it is not computers that are at fault. A human being designed the BIOS, so if it does not function properly it is not the computer's fault.

Glad you sort it out though. :)