Solution
The best cooling is one with a rational airflow, Most cases are designed to intake air from the front/bottom and exhaust out the top rear. This uses the natural convection currents of heat rising. PSUs are most commonly mounted on the bottom of the case and the intake is generally from outside the case; thus isolating the heat of PSUs from the case. Extra cooling for PSUs and other components can come from intake fans on the side door.

Your Apollo case has the PSU mounted top, an older design. It is not a good cooling case, unfortunately. You cvan enhance the cooling by swapping some fans, but that case will run hot unless you do some serious modding with a Dremel.

If you like NZXT cases the Gamma is a better cooling case...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The air should be cool going into the case and warmer coming out. The difference may not be huge depending on your components. Or it may be very hot if you have an extreme gaming rig. Depends on your components and the stress that you place on them.

Jet boot Jack

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks for the answers.

@Chester

I checked more thoroughly cos of what you said, and while the rear and PSU fans are definitely blowing out slightly warm air, the side one (my tower has a perspex wall with a side fan) is cool as a summer breeze.

Could the store have installed the fan the other way around?

The reason I'm asking is that a few days ago my 2 years old card (9800GTX) died on me after a year of bearable, minor artifacting. It used to idle on 60c in the summers and while Ive never seen it go beyond 72-73c, who knows, it might have.

Today I bought a new one (HD 6850) and this entire afternoon it idled on 36-38c - which made me very happy, almost the temps of a healthy human...- but towards the evening it went ten degrees up and around there it stays.

Jet boot Jack

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Cheers, guys, I do appreciate the feedback. I know why come here when things are array.

My specs-

MB: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI
CPU: E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 4GB RAM
GPU: RADEON HD 6850
PSU: SEASONIC 500W
Case: NZXT APOLLO

Stock cooling
No OC

CPU idles at 42c average
GPU... just going slowly but steadily up. It's now at 52c. WTF? It was at 36-38c for HOURS just half a day ago.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The best cooling is one with a rational airflow, Most cases are designed to intake air from the front/bottom and exhaust out the top rear. This uses the natural convection currents of heat rising. PSUs are most commonly mounted on the bottom of the case and the intake is generally from outside the case; thus isolating the heat of PSUs from the case. Extra cooling for PSUs and other components can come from intake fans on the side door.

Your Apollo case has the PSU mounted top, an older design. It is not a good cooling case, unfortunately. You cvan enhance the cooling by swapping some fans, but that case will run hot unless you do some serious modding with a Dremel.

If you like NZXT cases the Gamma is a better cooling case with room for more fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061

Solution
I have 3 Antec 900's - early gaming case, great cooling, practically nonexistent cable management. Two of them have highly overclocked quad core CPU's. At full system load, exhaust air runs about 5 C max over ambient as measured by an electronic cooking thermometer.

Exhaust air from the GPU's is a little higher.

Jet boot Jack

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
The Antec 900 does look great. I'll definitely consider it, but due to the premature GPU upgrade, I'd prefer postponing this buy.
Based on my temps, how urgent would you say it is, guys?

Wow, thanks. Best answer, no doubt about that.

And no, I don't have a special bond to NZXT.