wesdabrick

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I'm working on a friends Gateway w340ui laptop. She couldn't remember her password, so she proceeded to mash the keyboard. She said the touchpad stopped working, which may be the case or it might be that the system froze entirely. Now, when the system is powered on, the power light comes on, the hard drive churns, but the CPU fan doesn't kick on.

I've disassembled the laptop, taken out all the parts, reseated the CPU and all the cables, yet I still get nothing. No post, no CPU fan, but the hard drive fires up. Also, the optical drive ejects properly. There visually aren't any problems with the board that I can see. I've also removed the battery, but still nothing.

When it comes to issues with motherboards I never know when they need replacing... How would I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks!
Wes

wesdabrick

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

My bad, the CPU fan fires up, it just takes some time for it to heat up enough to kick in. So, am I correct in assuming that the CPU is working? If system is POSTing, however, should I not get a beep code because I do not have the RAM installed? I get no beep code.