Sign in with
Your question

Max voltage for a sandy bridge cpu?

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 17, 2011 1:38:57 AM

Can I hit 5ghz on a 2600k or 2500k without damaging the cpu? I believe the voltage is 1.41 volts for sb, but can I hit 5ghz on a good voltage? Getting a corsair h80 btw :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2011 5:50:22 AM

That depends on a lot of factors, many of which are simply out of your control. Some chips will hit 5 GHz and a lot won't, but you won't know until you try.

That said, there aren't many things that can take advantage of a 2500/2600K OCed to 5 GHz.
m
l
December 18, 2011 3:26:22 AM

Once you start going higher than 1.43V, the "electricity" will start carrying matter away from the CPU, shortening the life. (I'm pretty positive thats the case.)

The Intel tested VCore is 1.55 and I don't suggest you go higher than that.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 4:11:32 AM

voltage doesnt matter nearly as much as heat. the amount of voltage you run should be a secondary worry behind the heat. if you can keep it under 60* you should have no long term problems. under 70 and you should be fine. 80 and your pushing it. these temps are for 24/7 operation. id keep it under 1.4 volts btw.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 5:02:52 AM

cbrunnem said:
voltage doesnt matter nearly as much as heat. the amount of voltage you run should be a secondary worry behind the heat. if you can keep it under 60* you should have no long term problems. under 70 and you should be fine. 80 and your pushing it. these temps are for 24/7 operation. id keep it under 1.4 volts btw.

That is not really true. 1.4v and higher has shown over and over again to degrade Sandy Bridge processors.
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 2:42:06 PM

Quote:

1.520v according to Intel

amuffin said:
Can I hit 5ghz on a 2600k or 2500k without damaging the cpu? I believe the voltage is 1.41 volts for sb, but can I hit 5ghz on a good voltage? Getting a corsair h80 btw :D 

Benchmarks and Bragging Rights are one thing, there is no gaming performance increase between 4.5ghz and 5.1ghz I have tested that myself using games like Crysis to test, maybe there would be a difference with a game like Flight Simulator 10, I have a friend that runs that game and I have asked him to test it specifically and he said he would but has not as yet done so.

Regarding voltage and heat is really a no brainer increasing either is a hardware shortening guarantee, just how long is not known.

Hitting 5ghz and running 5ghz 24/7 is two completely different things!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 3:48:50 PM

anort3 said:
That is not really true. 1.4v and higher has shown over and over again to degrade Sandy Bridge processors.

you could theoretically run an infinite amount of voltage through a cpu if you could can the temps down. the problem with running a lot of heat is that it creates a lot of internal heat that might not show up on your monitoring programs as being high. you get electron migration when you run a processor high and with a lot of volts because the material has enough energy from the heat to move to wear its not desirable. lower the energy in the cpu aka heat then the problem is lessened a lot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 4:17:56 PM

just built mine using the corsair h80

currently at 48 x 104.2 bclk for 5002mhz at 1.4v on a 2600k

had to do it manually in the bios as the asus ai suite got me to 4.9ghz but was putting silly voltages through it --kept getting 1.6v warning messages--so be carefull if using software to overclock check temperatures and cpu voltages

highest cpu temperature i have seen yet is 67c--according to realtemp--the ai suite was showing lower temperatures--but i dont run prime95 to stress test--have done video encoding , superpi and arkham city at the same time and to me thats stable

seems to be a bios bug though as when speedstep turns it down to 1667mhz when idle the cpu voltage doesnt decrease
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 4:23:35 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Quote:

1.520v according to Intel

Benchmarks and Bragging Rights are one thing, there is no gaming performance increase between 4.5ghz and 5.1ghz I have tested that myself using games like Crysis to test, maybe there would be a difference with a game like Flight Simulator 10, I have a friend that runs that game and I have asked him to test it specifically and he said he would but has not as yet done so.

Regarding voltage and heat is really a no brainer increasing either is a hardware shortening guarantee, just how long is not known.

Hitting 5ghz and running 5ghz 24/7 is two completely different things!

Well, not going to be gaming on my system as much. I have gone into 3d rendering and there is a significant difference between 3.4ghz and 4.6ghz on my 2600k which is what i have now. I was just wondering if it was worth it investing in a corsair h80 and pushing it up to 5ghz so it renders a bit quicker.
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 18, 2011 5:15:18 PM

amuffin said:
Well, not going to be gaming on my system as much. I have gone into 3d rendering and there is a significant difference between 3.4ghz and 4.6ghz on my 2600k which is what i have now. I was just wondering if it was worth it investing in a corsair h80 and pushing it up to 5ghz so it renders a bit quicker.

3D rendering, video and audio encoding, video converting, etc., and such programs as that, do see performance gains related to overclocking.
m
l
December 18, 2011 5:47:47 PM

If Tom's have been saying that 1.4V is noticing degradation after a few months, 1.35V is not far off 1.4V. I take it that degradation will decrease in a sort of exponential manner as VCore decreases?

With most people overclocking sandy bridge to about 4.5 @ 1.3 - 1.36 I am wondering how long they will last at this voltage.

For me there is no noticeable difference between 4.5@1.35V max [1.304 - 1.312 load prime] and 4.0@1.2 [1.160 - 1.168 load prime] so I moved down to 4GHz.

I think options such as CPU PLL and memory voltage also play a factor, and from a lot of reading I think LLC should not be used.

On the flip side there aren't really any degradation reports from people unless they are 1.5V + so I'm not sure what to think. But i moved down to 4 to play it safe as I want the chip to last at least 2 years.

Reaching 4.5 was just a personal goal I wanted to achieve because I have been out of the tech circle for a few years so wanted to catch up with what has changed.

m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 11:41:56 AM

@mc_conor Do what you are comfortable with, that's all that matters.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 12:34:03 PM

I'm wanting to jump onto new hardware in Q1, so maybe picking up .5-1 gen older hardware is a frugal approach to getting 90% of the performance. I haven't seen a tremendous need for new hardware, but in the few instances that really push a CPU and graphics system, it's sad to think my once-highly-hailed hardware config is now far obsolete. But, it still works for what I currently use it for...but it makes it difficult to move on to new games demanding new tech. :/ 
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 7:52:30 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'm wanting to jump onto new hardware in Q1, so maybe picking up .5-1 gen older hardware is a frugal approach to getting 90% of the performance. I haven't seen a tremendous need for new hardware, but in the few instances that really push a CPU and graphics system, it's sad to think my once-highly-hailed hardware config is now far obsolete. But, it still works for what I currently use it for...but it makes it difficult to move on to new games demanding new tech. :/ 

how much money does custom water cooling cost? Also how hard is it :o 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 8:08:17 PM

Not too difficult- have you read through the watercooling sticky?

Budget- at minimum, you can get into a kit like the Rasa RS240 for around $130 that will cool CPU only. It really just depends on what you want to cool and what your budget is...these 2 factors really will dictate what your plan will look like. Also, reading as much as you can on build logs, watercooling info/stickies, etc.

$130-$150 is a very good starting point...and the sky is the limit.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:07:15 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Not too difficult- have you read through the watercooling sticky?

Budget- at minimum, you can get into a kit like the Rasa RS240 for around $130 that will cool CPU only. It really just depends on what you want to cool and what your budget is...these 2 factors really will dictate what your plan will look like. Also, reading as much as you can on build logs, watercooling info/stickies, etc.

$130-$150 is a very good starting point...and the sky is the limit.

if a tube breaks it can destroy everything right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:11:52 PM

Tubing doesn't break- its vinyl/silicone and flexible. If you take your time and do everything right, you can greatly, GREATLY minimize/eliminate leaks. Leaks only happen if you have defective watercooling components or you don't build a loop with care and patience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:16:21 PM

Like when I got frustrated with my rebuild recently; pulled a tube out of a fitting and dumped about a 1/2 a cup of distilled water on my hard drives. Luckily it was fresh distilled water, so my drives are A-OK :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:17:52 PM

When stuff gets wet in watercooling, it better only be when you are leak testing, which means your PSU is jumpered and nothing should really be connected to power (including molex or SATA power, if possible).
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:26:24 PM

is it possible to do water cooling on a cm storm scout? I'm really tempted to buy the xpsc kit!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 9:29:13 PM

It's possible to watercool in any case- it all depends whether or not you have a case that is setup that doesn't need modding to accept a rad, or if you are comfortable doing some modding in order to make sure it does.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 10:06:20 PM

lets not overplay the possibility of leaks. if you get the tubes on the fittings right and use clamps then the tube fitting connection will not leak. and tbh getting the tubes and fittings connected right is pretty idiot proof. so the only possibility for leaks is in the pump i guess. i dont have a lot of experience in that area just in radiator systems in general.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 10:17:50 PM

is there a version of the xspc rasa kit that comes with a 120mm fan? I live in the usa btw.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 19, 2011 11:27:11 PM

All versions of the Rasa or Raystorm kits come with 120mm fans and accompanying radiator sizes for the number of fans included in the kit.

Please take your time and read the WC sticky- you will do yourself a lot of good to soak up a lot of information that will help you make the best decision for your loop, your budget and your possible future expansion.

The best advice I can give you is to not allow a bunch of strangers on an internet forum to tell you what you should spend your own money on unless you completely agree with the recommendations being given and have the understanding to backup those decisions with your own reasons. Many of us have been doing this for many years, but without getting a well-rounded understanding of all steps and components needed, you would be doing yourself a great disservice to not familiarize yourself with as much information as possible.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 12:58:10 AM

rubix_1011 said:
All versions of the Rasa or Raystorm kits come with 120mm fans and accompanying radiator sizes for the number of fans included in the kit.

Please take your time and read the WC sticky- you will do yourself a lot of good to soak up a lot of information that will help you make the best decision for your loop, your budget and your possible future expansion.

The best advice I can give you is to not allow a bunch of strangers on an internet forum to tell you what you should spend your own money on unless you completely agree with the recommendations being given and have the understanding to backup those decisions with your own reasons. Many of us have been doing this for many years, but without getting a well-rounded understanding of all steps and components needed, you would be doing yourself a great disservice to not familiarize yourself with as much information as possible.

I read the guide, and I watched an hour long video on how to setup up the rasa kit and get rid of bubbles and check for leaks etc. Now what would be the best coolant to use?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:01:07 AM

Plain distilled water. Killcoil and/or biocide (2-3 drops).

That's it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:03:29 AM

Distilled water with either a few drops of biocide like PT Nuke or a silver killcoil (generally easier) is the recommended coolant.

Premixed/dyed coolants have a tendency to clog up the fins in the block, and sometimes/often cool worse than water because there are more things than just water that prevent appropriate heat transfer. You're better off with colored tubing than a colored coolant.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:04:40 AM

You said it better than I did. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:17:37 AM

That's amazing - I just woke up from a nap and had to really think about what I was typing.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:45:37 AM

its just plain distilled water...how do I get like a uv effect? Is there a specific type of dye I need to get?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:46:52 AM

UV tubing and UV cathodes.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:50:07 AM

amuffin said:
is there a version of the xspc rasa kit that comes with a 120mm fan? I live in the usa btw.

rubix_1011 said:
UV tubing and UV cathodes.

is that expensive? Or should I stick with the tubing that comes with the xpsc kit?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 1:53:38 AM

Good tubing is around $1.70-$3 a foot. The tubing in the Rasa kits are just clear tubing...nothing fancy.

And what about the Rasa kits? Not sure what you are asking on that part. Many of us are in the US, so it just depends on what you are looking for and what you are wanting to do.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 2:00:15 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Good tubing is around $1.70-$3 a foot. The tubing in the Rasa kits are just clear tubing...nothing fancy.

And what about the Rasa kits? Not sure what you are asking on that part. Many of us are in the US, so it just depends on what you are looking for and what you are wanting to do.

would the uv tubing be worth spending money on than the rasa tubing?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 2:02:15 AM

The Rasa kit comes with tubing, so it's additional cost over the kit. Good tubing is a decent investment for most people, but it depends if the cost is worth it to you.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 4:46:19 AM

rubix_1011 said:
The Rasa kit comes with tubing, so it's additional cost over the kit. Good tubing is a decent investment for most people, but it depends if the cost is worth it to you.

could you send me a link to the coolant you reccomended?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 12:24:22 PM

Quote:
so I put this on wherever the turns are?

No. Those are kink coils. Completely different.

A killcoil goes inside your reservoir as it is .9999 pure silver and acts as an antimicrobial agent. Most people also use biocide as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 2:14:45 PM

You also only need one killcoil.

If you get good tubing, you don't need kink coils either. Unless you want them just for looks, but they won't do anything functional.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 2:18:40 PM

Good tubing makes good bends- kink coils are intended for thin walled tubing that does not make good bends and tends to kink (hence the name). Thick walled, flexible watercooling tubing works well, but just make sure you get the right tubing ID to match the fittings you are using.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 6:01:55 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Good tubing makes good bends- kink coils are intended for thin walled tubing that does not make good bends and tends to kink (hence the name). Thick walled, flexible watercooling tubing works well, but just make sure you get the right tubing ID to match the fittings you are using.

I think I will order a kit for christmas. Also are mayhems dyes good? So I can make the distilled water red?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 6:45:42 PM

Some people swear by them, others claim it's a scam. It really depends on what you are shooting for...why not just use red tubing? Otherwise, normal food coloring works in a pinch. It just kind of depends on what you really want. Most people who have been in watercooling for a while don't care that water is clear- we usually prefer it so we can see if there are things in there that shouldn't be. New people usually like that extra color/bling, so again, just depends on your expectations.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 7:34:10 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Some people swear by them, others claim it's a scam. It really depends on what you are shooting for...why not just use red tubing? Otherwise, normal food coloring works in a pinch. It just kind of depends on what you really want. Most people who have been in watercooling for a while don't care that water is clear- we usually prefer it so we can see if there are things in there that shouldn't be. New people usually like that extra color/bling, so again, just depends on your expectations.

cool so food coloring won't effect performance?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2011 7:41:18 PM

No. Technically, anything in the water can impact performance, but likely most are such minimal differences, you'd never notice. However, there have been tests done with some common coolants and fluids and there are some decent changes (1-5C) differences in some instances between plain water and these various fluids or coolants. Without spending a LOT of money on a coolant developed by NASA, the best you can do for a watercooling loop is plain distilled water for temperature performance.
m
l
December 21, 2011 1:59:22 AM

cbrunnem said:
you could theoretically run an infinite amount of voltage through a cpu if you could can the temps down. the problem with running a lot of heat is that it creates a lot of internal heat that might not show up on your monitoring programs as being high. you get electron migration when you run a processor high and with a lot of volts because the material has enough energy from the heat to move to wear its not desirable. lower the energy in the cpu aka heat then the problem is lessened a lot.

Put your cpu in the freezer and hook it up directly to 220v and tell me how it works out for ya! :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 1:04:18 PM

Homeboy2 said:
Put your cpu in the freezer and hook it up directly to 220v and tell me how it works out for ya! :lol: 

you missed the point, it flew right over you
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 2:41:05 PM

Let's not stir up the 'PC inside a freezer or refrigerator' topic again...please no...
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 6:46:00 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Let's not stir up the 'PC inside a freezer or refrigerator' topic again...please no...

But couldn't you theoretically get great overclocks :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 21, 2011 7:17:05 PM

Theoretically- yes, as long as you have a commercial grade walk-in freezer. Normal freezer or refrigerator...no. Not at all.
m
l
!