Solved

Compatible ram??

My mobo is MSI MS-7222 version 2. And I already have a Buffalo 512 mb 667 pc2-5300 ddr2 240 pin installed on my mobo. I was wondering what kind of ram will it makes it compatible to run along with this ram. I heard that the latency, speed and voltage have to match, is there more? Does this ram compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148240
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatible
  1. Sell the 512 stick on craigslist or keep it for testing purposes. I wouldn't mix it with the crucial due to the size difference.
  2. Hi, if your mobo is one of THIS, your current mobo support that RAM speed without problems.

    And like o1die says, re-sell you Buffalo RAM, isn't a good brand to mixed with the Crucial RAM.
  3. saint19 said:
    Hi, if your mobo is one of THIS, your current mobo support that RAM speed without problems.

    And like o1die says, re-sell you Buffalo RAM, isn't a good brand to mixed with the Crucial RAM.

    Do you know any brand of ram that can be mix with Buffalo rams. I know Kingston rams are very reputable.
  4. Yeah, you can try with Kingston usually don't have problem with RAM mixing. Take a look of this options:

    1- Kingston
    2- Mushkin
    3- Corsair
    4- G.Skill
  5. saint19 said:
    Yeah, you can try with Kingston usually don't have problem with RAM mixing. Take a look of this options:

    1- Kingston
    2- Mushkin
    3- Corsair
    4- G.Skill


    What is the differences between cas latency and timing? Which one should I look at when I want to mix and match my rams?
  6. The 512 isn't going to help enough to use. The performance difference between 2.0 and 2.5 gb of ram is negligable. And ram is one of the easiest computer items to sell.
  7. werewolf16 said:
    What is the differences between cas latency and timing? Which one should I look at when I want to mix and match my rams?


    Read this. And the only tow conditions for mix RAM are, same CL and same voltage.
  8. saint19 said:
    Read this. And the only tow conditions for mix RAM are, same CL and same voltage.

    But at this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146580&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID= , there are timing and the cas latency, so which one is the right one to look at to mix my ram? I thought timing and cas latency are the same.
  9. For that RAM:

    1- CL=5
    2- Trcd=5
    3- Trp=5
    4- Tras=15 (as you can see is the sum of the previous three. )

    You need know the CL and voltage of your RAM.
  10. saint19 said:
    For that RAM:

    1- CL=5
    2- Trcd=5
    3- Trp=5
    4- Tras=15 (as you can see is the sum of the previous three. )

    You need know the CL and voltage of your RAM.


    So basically the first number of the timing is the CL( cas latency) and that is what im going to look at. Thank you so much Saint19 for giving your time to answer my questions.
  11. ^Yeah, usually, when you find a CL5, the other timings are the same, as you can see in the explanation.
  12. saint19 said:
    ^Yeah, usually, when you find a CL5, the other timings are the same, as you can see in the explanation.

    I just found out my 512 mb timing CL:4 tRCD:4 tRP:4 tRAS:12. Is it going to work with the rams you mentioned above?
  13. Best answer
    Yeah, that RAMs can work with your current RAM, but if you install your new RAM with your current 512MB, you won't see any difference if keep installed your 512MB or not, so, uninstall your current 512MB and get one of the RAM that I suggest. Or even, THIS is a very good option too.
  14. saint19 said:
    Yeah, that RAMs can work with your current RAM, but if you install your new RAM with your current 512MB, you won't see any difference if keep installed your 512MB or not, so, uninstall your current 512MB and get one of the RAM that I suggest. Or even, THIS is a very good option too.


    Do you mean that if I installed the 1 GB ram along with the 512 mb ram, my computer can only reads the 512 mb ram? It would still be read as 512 mb on my system? Why is that?
  15. ^NO, I mean that if you install the 512MB and 1GB at the same time, you won't see a big difference if you only install the 1GB.
  16. Best answer selected by werewolf16.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Compatibility Product