Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Changing My Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 10, 2010 5:46:14 AM

Hey Guy's,

I am swapping out my motherboard this weekend. MSI NF750-G55 for MSI NF980-G65. Getting ready for Quad SLI. I got the gaming bug at the end of last year and now I am hooked.

1. If my info is correct, these MB's have similar chip-sets and if the other hardware remains unchanged it might allow me to swap MB's without reloading Windows 7? I understand this could be hit or miss. However, I really don't have that much to back up yet so a smooth swap would be preferred. If a fresh install is in order, then that's fine too.

2. I have installed/changed several MB's but have always had to reload Windows (XP/Vista/Win7). I can remember swapping an ASUS MB once without reloading windows and everything worked fine. I was probably just really lucky that day.

I'm looking for some advise and a do/do not list to help with the swap. My new board should be here on Friday. I apologize for all the questions. Thanks

Cooler Master HAF 932
3 Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Red LED Case Fans
3 Antec 120mm Red LED Case Fans
Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 1000w
MSI NF750-G55 SLI
Corsair Dominator GT 1466MHz (CL7) BEMP w/Fan Kit
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.5GHz, HSF/22C IC7 TC
EVGA GTX 295 Precision: 696/1500/1200/+VMod
Intel X25 V 40GB SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
Western Digital 1TB (Storage)
LITE-ON BD-ROM
LG Super Multi CD/DVD 22x
JVC 42" LCD Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000

More about : changing motherboard

Best solution

a c 156 V Motherboard
March 10, 2010 12:01:10 PM

You built your present computer, yes?

Go through the checklist portion of this thread,
Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
The thread refers to my breadboarding thread. That's basically building the PC without the case primarily for troubleshooting. I have a paragraph in there about building and testing in stages.

It would be pretty bad to discover, after all your work of reinstalling everything plus a new motherboard in your case, that the system doesn't work because the motherboard is dead.
March 20, 2010 2:45:13 AM

Best answer selected by GenXer.
m
l
!