Solved

Changing My Motherboard

Hey Guy's,

I am swapping out my motherboard this weekend. MSI NF750-G55 for MSI NF980-G65. Getting ready for Quad SLI. I got the gaming bug at the end of last year and now I am hooked.

1. If my info is correct, these MB's have similar chip-sets and if the other hardware remains unchanged it might allow me to swap MB's without reloading Windows 7? I understand this could be hit or miss. However, I really don't have that much to back up yet so a smooth swap would be preferred. If a fresh install is in order, then that's fine too.

2. I have installed/changed several MB's but have always had to reload Windows (XP/Vista/Win7). I can remember swapping an ASUS MB once without reloading windows and everything worked fine. I was probably just really lucky that day.

I'm looking for some advise and a do/do not list to help with the swap. My new board should be here on Friday. I apologize for all the questions. Thanks

Cooler Master HAF 932
3 Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Red LED Case Fans
3 Antec 120mm Red LED Case Fans
Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 1000w
MSI NF750-G55 SLI
Corsair Dominator GT 1466MHz (CL7) BEMP w/Fan Kit
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.5GHz, HSF/22C IC7 TC
EVGA GTX 295 Precision: 696/1500/1200/+VMod
Intel X25 V 40GB SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
Western Digital 1TB (Storage)
LITE-ON BD-ROM
LG Super Multi CD/DVD 22x
JVC 42" LCD Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about changing motherboard
  1. Best answer
    You built your present computer, yes?

Go through the checklist portion of this thread,
    Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding
    The thread refers to my breadboarding thread. That's basically building the PC without the case primarily for troubleshooting. I have a paragraph in there about building and testing in stages.

It would be pretty bad to discover, after all your work of reinstalling everything plus a new motherboard in your case, that the system doesn't work because the motherboard is dead.
  2. Best answer selected by GenXer.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar Motherboards