MSCONFIG startup list

Janet

You may think that people don't take what you recommend
to heart, but I've spent a couple if not three weeks
going over recommendations to get rid of malware on a
computer. I found some discrepancies, some entries on my
startup tab were only listed in the command section not
in the name/item. Since one of these, msblast, I know to
be associated with a virus, I wonder if the others aren't
as well. Can you advise me as to whether I should delete
any of these other than msblast?

XWCTray -- Found only in the command section
hpcmpmgr -- Found only in the command section
INSTAN~1 -- Found only in command section
REGIST~1 -- Found only in command section
msblast -- found only in command section
XWMSAPI -- found only in command section

Janet,

This may help:

Spyware and Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Startup Applications and Online Scans on this page)

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Good Luck!

"Janet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You may think that people don't take what you recommend
>to heart, but I've spent a couple if not three weeks
>going over recommendations to get rid of malware on a
>computer. I found some discrepancies, some entries on my
>startup tab were only listed in the command section not
>in the name/item. Since one of these, msblast, I know to
>be associated with a virus, I wonder if the others aren't
>as well. Can you advise me as to whether I should delete
>any of these other than msblast?
>
>XWCTray -- Found only in the command section
>hpcmpmgr -- Found only in the command section
>INSTAN~1 -- Found only in command section
>REGIST~1 -- Found only in command section
>msblast -- found only in command section
>XWMSAPI -- found only in command section

Disable the items to see what they do and if you need them. For more
informations you could feed an Internet search engine with the task
names. For MSBLAST: this is a virus, see "Virus Alert About the
Blaster Worm and Its Variants"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826955).

--
(tm)

go to PCHELL.com gives all this info. also check
Hijackthis.com i am having trouble with huntbar. :)

TRENDING THREADS