Sign in with
Your question

Need anti-static mat

Last response: in Systems
September 21, 2009 9:54:38 PM

Where can i find a good anti-static mat? One that'll be able to fit my MB

More about : anti static mat

September 22, 2009 10:34:09 AM

All these anti-static accessories are a great money maker for companies preying on the misinformed/paranoid. I built my last computer on a plastic table and tile floor on the porch. You really don't need that fancy stuff as long as you are careful, and discharge your static onto your case/whatever every once in a while.
Related resources
September 22, 2009 1:33:30 PM

heck you can get an anti-static wrist strap on the cheap at any electronic or computer store. don't waste money on getting it from new egg and paying shipping for somthing you can get locally.
September 22, 2009 1:50:05 PM

While a lot of folks say static is not a big deal, it kind of is. You can damage stuff without knowing it and it still run. That said, don't get the mat. Maybe get a 5 dollar anti static wrist strap, or if you don't get that, just be sure to put things on a table, even if you are on carpet under your feet, get sitting down, don't move, and be sure to touch the inside of the case before touching parts, handle everything by the edges and not by connectors and you should be ok.
September 22, 2009 2:22:38 PM

Yea, you don't need a plastic mat. Just get a cheap anti-static wrist strap like ohiou_grad said.
September 22, 2009 9:12:44 PM

i would get an anti-static strap if the case wasent all painted over...26$ is a bit too much. If i DO get the wrist trap, whats the procedure, plug in power supply, attack strap to it? And static electricity can be a big deal, if you grab on the case it'll still be in it, and it'll move around, probably to MB and fry something
September 22, 2009 9:32:30 PM

notzaar said:
All these anti-static accessories are a great money maker for companies preying on the misinformed/paranoid. I built my last computer on a plastic table and tile floor on the porch. You really don't need that fancy stuff as long as you are careful, and discharge your static onto your case/whatever every once in a while.

Exactly, you can discharge yourself at any grounded, conducting object, such as a water pipe or radiator in your home. If you hold a motherboard in one hand and touch a water pipe or radiator with your other hand you also discharge the motherboard.
September 23, 2009 12:54:14 AM

Ahh, warer pipe or radiator? That might work, i have a radiator right in my room, guess ill use that. Im still a bit edgy about it frying....
!