Windows 7 64 bit will not see my ATI 3650 agp graphics card

larry_41

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Windows 7 64 bit will not see my ATI 3650 agp graphics card. Therefore, I cannot install the drivers for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Win 7 64 bit provides a generic display adapter, but it is as though the 3650 graphics card does not exist although the monitor is running off it.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from both ATI and from ASUS, but they cannot install because Win 7 does not see the card.

larry_41

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
You can download the drivers from ATI.com and install them. It doesnt matter if windows recognizes the card or not, you are getting video, you just need your drivers.

You would think so, but that does not appear to be the case.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from both ATI and from ASUS, but they cannot install because Win 7 does not see the card. The ATI Catalyst Installer installs, but not the drivers. Or they do not install correctly. I have downloaded the files several times to make sure they are not corrupted, but to no avail.

zach538467

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah I had that problem on my stepdads old 3850. Unless someone has released a one-off version, you are SOL until(if) they release a win 7 version of the hotfix drivers.

Zip, the problem is that the 3650 is really a 3650 PCI-E with an on card bridge to AGP, the regular drivers didn't work until like catalyst 9 or so when they finally released the hotfix in the main release. Now they have stopped legacy support at 9.6 so surely they will release an updated hotfix...

larry_41

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Well, actually, I am running an MSI K8T Master 2 dual socket 940 workstation server board with two Opteron 250's overclocked to 2.8 GHz. Win 7 32bit runs fine on it. Since I recently came up with 8 GB of registered ram I thought I would try Win 7 64bit. Win 7 rates all of my hardware at 5.3 to 5.9 except of course the graphics card. I have my Core 2 Quads running on a couple of other machines, but this rig has always treated me right and I like keeping it going.

I have come to the conclusion, however, that this ATI card will not work with Win7 64bit. The drivers ATI is pointing to for Win 7 are in fact Vista drivers. I opened up the downloaded package to find Vista drivers. I received an error message saying they are not intended for the Win7 platform. So much for that. I will try an Nvidia card.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I appreciate it. I will visit these forums more often.

G

I read a few reviews from newegg.com that an Asus Radeon 4650 agp card works with windows 7 :D maybe you should look into gettin that if you wanna keep that old pc

domlnator

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Try the newest hotfix for Radeon AGP 2000,3000,4000s (17 december). It works! I had the same problem with win7x86 & 3650AGP. Now win7 recognises my 3650 as a 2600XT. Though aero is unstable, graphics performance is ~similar to XP(and much better then with Vista).

domlnator

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

I think, thousands of people have the same problem, and there isn't a clear answer for this on any forums.

TRENDING THREADS