Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade my Dell XPS 420's Card and Supply.

Last response: in Components
December 10, 2009 8:42:04 PM

Hi, I have a DELL XPS 420 and I was wondering if I should upgrade it or not.

It has an ATX/BTX Case, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.33GHz and a ATI Radeon HD 3870 card.

I was thinking about this power supply and this card.

Card - http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2627053/art/sapphire-techn...

Power supply - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=317630

Would it even be worth the trouble upgrading it?

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2009 9:29:52 PM

The video card is not the latest, however, it's still a good card. It really depends on what resolution you want to game at. You might want to consider a 5770 card as well.

I'm not familiar with that brand of power supply, so I can't comment on it. I personally would go with a big name PSU company, like corsair or OCZ. The wattage is most likely fine unless you will crossfire two video cards in the future, or have 6+ drives and multiple add in cards.

To answer is it worth it, well, I wouldn't upgrade to an older card, but that card is pretty awesome. At the site for the video card that you listed, the 5770s are nearly the same price, or a little cheaper.
December 10, 2009 9:42:02 PM

i have a similar Dell...i put in a HD 4770...didnt upgrade the PS. I even have the card overclocked and it runs just fine. I hear the dell cases limit PSU upgradability.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2009 10:36:48 PM

Fortron are good power supplys. It will put out all 550 watts and more . The video card is your choice. Only the old dells were like that. Not any more in a full size case.
December 11, 2009 5:40:25 PM

damien12g said:
i have a similar Dell...i put in a HD 4770...didnt upgrade the PS. I even have the card overclocked and it runs just fine. I hear the dell cases limit PSU upgradability.

How much power does it have?
December 12, 2009 6:10:21 PM

festerovic said:
The video card is not the latest, however, it's still a good card. It really depends on what resolution you want to game at. You might want to consider a 5770 card as well.

I'm not familiar with that brand of power supply, so I can't comment on it. I personally would go with a big name PSU company, like corsair or OCZ. The wattage is most likely fine unless you will crossfire two video cards in the future, or have 6+ drives and multiple add in cards.

To answer is it worth it, well, I wouldn't upgrade to an older card, but that card is pretty awesome. At the site for the video card that you listed, the 5770s are nearly the same price, or a little cheaper.

I was thinking about getting a 1980x1024 monitor, at the moment I have a 1680x1050.
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2009 3:57:53 PM

At either of those resolutions, the 4890 wins in performance. The toss up will be whether you want the features in the 5xxx series or if the 4xxx series is fine. Personally, I would go with your original choice. Check the "Best Cards for the Money" charts on the front page of this website, they rate the cards for performance at each res and whether it has AA on or not.
!